• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5870 Vertical lines Crash

Soldato
Shamelessly ripped from the AMD forum;

Dear Customer,

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[XXXXXXXXXX]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

Thank you for your feedback. We are aware of this issue, and it has to do with Windows 7 update. We are working on a solution for this problem.

In the mean time we recommend you do a clean install of the Graphic card driver by removing all ATI and or other Graphic card software from Windows Control Panel> Program and Features in safe mode. From feedback on our forums some people have successfully solved the issue by doing this.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

Last edited:
Permabanned
Well I'm running Vista '64. And have the exact problem described to the letter on many forums. So I know for a fact they're barking up the wrong tree with their 'Windows 7 causes it' shenanigans ... :(

Soldato
At least they have confirmed that they have found an issue. Maybe you have a separate problem or maybe their fix for this confirmed problem will help you. At least they're barking at something.

Associate
OP
Hope this doesnt sound selfish but im glad there's more of you guys with this - to me it means its for real and it will be fixed in time. Re doing my OC tonight ready for new drivers tomorrow. This update thing must be the new panacea to all problems even microsoft are giving it off about that "black screen" issue; oh it was an update. " I came home and my PC was on fire" MS "Did you install update KP789456" , "Yes", "OK, uninstall it and you will stop burning"

Last edited:
Soldato
All fine here, on Win7 X64 with a 5870 (not sure what driver version though). Never seen anything like that tbh, not running with a massive OC though so.....

Associate

Thankyou!!!!!!!

I got this issue recently and thought my rather unique overclocking on my i7 920 causing it. I was completely stable for weeks and then suddenly I kept getting these issues during idle times only.

I spent forever and a day getting this overclock to work:
Have it running 20x200 as standard
Have turbo enabled to go up to 21x200
Have HT enabled
Have power saving enabled which underclocks to 12x200 during idle

Tested fully and it overclocks and performs as a 4.2Ghz overclock, but get the advantages of lower power consumption during idle times. This lower power consumption was my aim whilst maintaining an overclock, due to the hours my pc stays on. I knew of all the problems with enabling these things so it took a lot of testing and voltage tweaking to get this perfect. I was sure it was running 100% stable after muchos burn-ins and testing.

Then this thing hit. I assumed it was a problem with the power saving mode and was completely stumped. My reasoning for this was I had folding@home installed to use the CPU/GPU during idle times, and when I removed it (It was afterall couter intuitive to have it running whilst I was trying to minimise power usage) this started.

Turns out it's the GPU's power saving mode, not the cpus...*Shakes fist*...

Ah well, it's all sorted now! Thanks. Hopefully the 9.12s will sort this out without the need for this fix.

Soldato
you seem to be implying that people with large over clocks have large penises ?

Well mines an acorn, so theres that theory gone :(

Cheers mate will give this a try

Ive flashed back to the original cypress BIOS and used the updated ATI BIOS lineked on the quoted thread *fingers crossed*

I also seem to have been more stable prior to re-flashing with Turbo off, ill pop it back on and see how things go :D

Soldato
lol

I had flashed mine with an "unlocked" Asus BIOS - ive gine back to the original "Cypress"BIOS that came with the Gigabyte Cards.

I then flashed the new BIOS with the one linked qhich appears to be an update as it has retained the name of the orignal BIOS (Cypress) but updated the BIOS version

So far so good - also no issues since Turbo turned off - ill see how i get on then try back with Turbo on and if necessary try the profile malarky - although the 9.12s should be released tomorrow and *hopefully* address the power saving problem :|

Back
Top Bottom