• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5950X £960? Nah mate

Soldato
At this point we're half way though the CPUs cycle so if anything it should be under msrp as in 6 months it will be replaced by something better.

Associate
What use is another retailer who has no stock but an "honest" price? What's the bet that when they do have stock, the price jumps?

I get it, but this high st retailer doesn't seem to do that. Either because they sell at RRP or because they're ignorant of the market.

They don't scalp PS5 or XSX either. Maybe they'll push you toward buying a bundle to up the overall price, but they don't simply add numbers into the item price.

Soldato
I don't think retailers can scalp the price of consoles as Sony and Microsoft don't allow it, maybe something similar need to happen in the PC space with companies like AMD denying stock to retailers that overcharge.

Associate
At this point we're half way though the CPUs cycle so if anything it should be under msrp as in 6 months it will be replaced by something better.

To be honest I'm not sure 5950's will be supplied in 6 months time, the fact they aren't grabbing the cash now speaks of production difficulties.

The other problem is Intel, there isn't any competition from them at the high end yet and there won't be for at least 6 months, guessing that AMD are developing something better but withholding from market even if its ready for time as a new CPU release even tomorrow would do nothing for sales. The priority then being improving the yield and thus profitability.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Are the prices ever going to go down on any prodcut which has been hiked up, because people are paying it which realistically means why would they ever lower it?

When everyone is out of lockdown, back at work and in the office and have less spare time, people will stop buying and prices will fall through the floor.

That's what I'm waiting for - have about 4k saved for a major rig update.

Soldato
If you really need a 16 core, grab a 3*** series and sit tight for a year. When the AM5 comes out in the next year, there will be plenty on here selling the 5950x to upgrade to the new one.

3*** series 16 core is no slouch

There may well be some selling 5950x's to move to AM5. In my mind they will be making a very large mistake. AM5 will be DDR5, anyone buying into a new DDR platform at the start will pay for it dearly. Not only financially but in lack of performance and very lax timmings.
A more sensible approach is go with a 3950x or 5950x now and then wait for for a year after the AM5 launch. Any bios issues will be sorted by then and available ram will have much tighter timmings.

Soldato
There may well be some selling 5950x's to move to AM5. In my mind they will be making a very large mistake. AM5 will be DDR5, anyone buying into a new DDR platform at the start will pay for it dearly. Not only financially but in lack of performance and very lax timmings.
A more sensible approach is go with a 3950x or 5950x now and then wait for for a year after the AM5 launch. Any bios issues will be sorted by then and available ram will have much tighter timmings.

This is overclockers lol, there's always those that want the epeen and will spend money on it. I'm going to sit tight and grab the 5900 in the MM later on.

Soldato
AM5 will be DDR5, anyone buying into a new DDR platform at the start will pay for it dearly. Not only financially but in lack of performance and very lax timmings.

It's all very well and good using past experiences of the moves from DDR/2/3/4 etc. but you also need to account for the added features this time round, which might make it more appealing than some people are saying. You've on DIMM PMIC, 40-bit data channels (8-bits for built in ECC) with two per DIMM, and also much higher bandwidth for non-latency sensitive applications, as the entry level parts will be 4800 MT/s, with vendors already pushing 6,400 MT/s as middle of the road, and even then the latency increase is expected to be much less than previous generations of DDR.

It's pretty much all change this time around, and alongside some potential huge platform benefits, 20+% IPC increase, low power, more cores, means that AM5 is looking massively appealing to be on. I developed a good number of systems on the first generation HEDT x399 Threadripper, yes there were issues, but not that weren't sorted pretty quickly or with careful component choice.

Obviously if you are just playing games, then stability has even less meaning, yet will be complained about more by people as they just want it to work, but they aren't enthusiasts they are users, I am sure if you go back to when you were pushing crazy overclocks, you sometimes had to take the rough with the smooth.

Soldato
It's all very well and good using past experiences of the moves from DDR/2/3/4 etc. but you also need to account for the added features this time round, which might make it more appealing than some people are saying. You've on DIMM PMIC, 40-bit data channels (8-bits for built in ECC) with two per DIMM, and also much higher bandwidth for non-latency sensitive applications, as the entry level parts will be 4800 MT/s, with vendors already pushing 6,400 MT/s as middle of the road, and even then the latency increase is expected to be much less than previous generations of DDR.

It's pretty much all change this time around, and alongside some potential huge platform benefits, 20+% IPC increase, low power, more cores, means that AM5 is looking massively appealing to be on. I developed a good number of systems on the first generation HEDT x399 Threadripper, yes there were issues, but not that weren't sorted pretty quickly or with careful component choice.

Obviously if you are just playing games, then stability has even less meaning, yet will be complained about more by people as they just want it to work, but they aren't enthusiasts they are users, I am sure if you go back to when you were pushing crazy overclocks, you sometimes had to take the rough with the smooth.

I mostly game on my pc. Little productivity and very little creativity (say 96/3/1%). Stability is massively important to me. I am also an enthusiast.

Will these gamers go for DDR5 for performance or are they not enthusiastic enough for that? Are gamers pushing big OCs not enthusiasts? You are contradicitng yourself it seems.

Soldato
It looks like there is a fair bit of stock now (unless I happen to be browsing just after a load got added). £750 still seems very steep, what was the actual RRP for the CPU?

£749 is the RRP for the 5950x and honestly worth every penny for me and doing any type of rendering for work. I wouldn't worry about getting anything other than a 5600x/5800x for just gaming myself.

Soldato
Damn that seems like a bit of qb jump from the $520 US review prices!

I've already got a 3700X so will probably upgrade the "max" my X470 platform before getting a whole new system. I could do it in a couple of years for maybe £300 or do it now for £750 but get two years of use out of it...

Soldato
Damn that seems like a bit of qb jump from the $520 US review prices!

I've already got a 3700X so will probably upgrade the "max" my X470 platform before getting a whole new system. I could do it in a couple of years for maybe £300 or do it now for £750 but get two years of use out of it...

What US review price of $520? The review price was $799 for the 5950x. The 5900x was $549 and UK wise is £510.

Back
Top Bottom