• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5950x boosting to 4.2-4.9ghz & around 1.4v while idling or barely doing anything

Associate
Just put together a new build, upgraded from a 2600 and ive noticed that my 5950x is boosting for no reason, just idling watching youtube/twitch its boosting itself to 4.2-4.9ghz and around 1.4 volts. cpu temps when idle are in the high 40's and when i stress test it doesnt break 70c. i have "cool and quiet" enabled in the bios, the latest chipset drivers and mobo bios update. is this normal for a 5950x?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
Mobo: B550 Aorus Master
Cooler: EK AIO 360 Basic
PSU: Super Flower bronze 850w
GPU: RTX 2070

Soldato
Just put together a new build, upgraded from a 2600 and ive noticed that my 5950x is boosting for no reason, just idling watching youtube/twitch its boosting itself to 4.2-4.9ghz and around 1.4 volts. cpu temps when idle are in the high 40's and when i stress test it doesnt break 70c. i have "cool and quiet" enabled in the bios, the latest chipset drivers and mobo bios update. is this normal for a 5950x?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
Mobo: B550 Aorus Master
Cooler: EK AIO 360 Basic
PSU: Super Flower bronze 850w
GPU: RTX 2070

That's normal

Associate
I figured as much. So people often get spooked when they see 1.4v when that's just the Ryzen boosting algorithm at work.

Depending on the video you watch and the resolution + codec it uses, the CPU may asked to do some significant work, so not exactly idle.

Associate
OP
hmm ok, thanks guys and yea like you said i got worried seeing 1.4v as with every other cpu ive owned up until this point you'd get to those voltages if you were overclocking.

Back
Top Bottom