• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5950X Prices

Associate
Looking to pick up a 5950x, I notice prices have increased in the past month or two but wondering if I should buy now or wait for Zen 4 launch, any advice?

Associate
Zen4 prices are due to be the same/similar to Zen3 so there's not much sense buying Zen3 at inflated prices.

Obviously MSRP and actual prices can vary as we saw last time... I'd probably just wait and grab a used Zen3

Associate
OP
Thanks but not really keen on buying used, this machine is used for work so I want the peace of mind and warranty. I was more wondering if prices will drop to clear out the old stock of 5950x once the new cpus arrive. If that will happen I'll wait, if it won't then I'd be better buying now rather than running the risk of there not being any new ones left.

Associate
You'll probably find prices will increase in the run-up, but after release they'll start dumping stock in sales.

The 7950x is due to be slightly higher priced than the 5950X was, however the lower end (which is still pretty powerful) is due to be the same. I'd at least wait until November time for some deals on Zen3

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice, that was what I was thinking but haven't bought as generations change before so wasn't sure. Cheers.

Associate
Thanks for the advice, that was what I was thinking but haven't bought as generations change before so wasn't sure. Cheers.
Just a heads up that the MSI AM5 motherboard pricing has been released and you're looking at the cheapest X670 motherboard of $300.

There will be cheaper boards when B650 launches but X670 is going to be pricey. You could get a really cheap B450 motherboard which will still be fine for the 5950X and save a lot of money that way.

Last edited:
Associate
The GBP is in the gutter, inflation taking hold and passing along the supply chain, so I would expect any price drops to be mostly cancelled out.
Didnt AMD say a while back they would continue to sell AM4 alongside AM5? So perhaps no EOL 'lets shift the last of this' for a while.
Course I dont have a crystal ball so dont hold me to it!

Associate
The GBP is in the gutter, inflation taking hold and passing along the supply chain, so I would expect any price drops to be mostly cancelled out.
Didnt AMD say a while back they would continue to sell AM4 alongside AM5? So perhaps no EOL 'lets shift the last of this' for a while.
Course I dont have a crystal ball so dont hold me to it!
Agreed. I'd keep my eyes open for a second hand CPU. Far cheaper and it's not like CPUs die as often as most other components so you don't need to worry about them as much.

I'd wager that a CPU is probably the most reliably part in a system these days.

Soldato
Just a heads up that the MSI AM5 motherboard pricing has been released and you're looking at the cheapest X670 motherboard of $300.

There will be cheaper boards when B650 launches but X670 is going to be pricey. You could get a really cheap B450 motherboard which will still be fine for the 5950X and save a lot of money that way.
AsRock dropped pricing that their X670E (not the stock X670) base price is about £290, however the X670 standard should be less than that and the B650/B650E again cheaper. a 5950X cheapest is about £520 and a B450 for about £75 (or X570 £140). Or A 7950x at £699 with £290 board and the performance is about 30% + then.

Does the £989 outlay (assuming a bottom end X670E) compared to £595 with only a B450 board (missing feature parity) or £660 with X570 and a new system where later an 8950x or whatever can be dropped in as well as already be on PCIE 5.0/DDR5 make more sense because there no further upgrade path otherwise. If you then consider a B650 board end of October instead then you could be down to more like £839 price for Mobo/CPU then.

Associate
AsRock dropped pricing that their X670E (not the stock X670) base price is about £290, however the X670 standard should be less than that and the B650/B650E again cheaper. a 5950X cheapest is about £520 and a B450 for about £75 (or X570 £140). Or A 7950x at £699 with £290 board and the performance is about 30% + then.

Does the £989 outlay (assuming a bottom end X670E) compared to £595 with only a B450 board (missing feature parity) or £660 with X570 and a new system where later an 8950x or whatever can be dropped in as well as already be on PCIE 5.0/DDR5 make more sense because there no further upgrade path otherwise. If you then consider a B650 board end of October instead then you could be down to more like £839 price for Mobo/CPU then.
That's a fair point and I would agree with you that it can make sense to go with the newer tech if it'll be fully utilised and if OP doesn't need a PC upgrade right now.

Too much speculation for now and with the launch of cheaper motherboards and cheaper CPUs, I'm sure AM5 will become a more and more viable option.

I certainly would strongly consider DDR5 for new machines with cheap DDR5-4800 available.

Soldato
That's a fair point and I would agree with you that it can make sense to go with the newer tech if it'll be fully utilised and if OP doesn't need a PC upgrade right now.

Too much speculation for now and with the launch of cheaper motherboards and cheaper CPUs, I'm sure AM5 will become a more and more viable option.

I certainly would strongly consider DDR5 for new machines with cheap DDR5-4800 available.
Indeed, I am just using the provided prices that have been leaked to date to get a rough idea of what to consider. You could move up and down the stack a little. I expect if you are using the 5950x/7950x then 32GB is really min to consider DDR was as well so if you consider that a decent kit of DDR4-3600Mhz with reasonable timings is about £120. DDR5-6000Mhz is about £200 (although deals on new can be had on eBay and such already as house mate got some for £140).

Soldato
They were coming down in price and i think the cheapest i saw was 429 inc vat and del but they have bounded back up again recently. I can see them coming down a bit when the new CPUs are released but i dont believe they will be silly cheap as there will always be companies/users that do not want to upgrade with new CPU/Memory/Mobo and the cheapest way they can is just replace the CPU and sell off the old one.

Associate
7900x probably be as fast as 5950x in multi and faster in st and probably cheaper too
Yeah if you are doing a new build. If you are just upgrading it's much cheaper to buy a 5950x than buying a whole new motherboard and RAM. I picked one up for around £500 recently for that reason

Soldato
Yeah if you are doing a new build. If you are just upgrading it's much cheaper to buy a 5950x than buying a whole new motherboard and RAM. I picked one up for around £500 recently for that reason
Indeed but this thread is about a new build so if happy with 5950x performance, you are likely to get 10-20% more for the 7900x still and be £100 then you could be comparing £739 to £660, so only a £79 total purchase cost for the newer faster platform whilst being able to drop a new chip in a generation or two and get a big boost again.

Associate
Indeed but this thread is about a new build so if happy with 5950x performance, you are likely to get 10-20% more for the 7900x still and be £100 then you could be comparing £739 to £660, so only a £79 total purchase cost for the newer faster platform whilst being able to drop a new chip in a generation or two and get a big boost again.
Yeah for a new build I would go 7000 series for sure

Associate
Is it about a new build? If not then 2nd hand as said is probably only route to cheapness as the am4 only upgrade route is those current chips. The retail sellers will most likely keep them at same prices or more as they’ll go in the end due to people wanting a last boost before changing to new motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom