• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5950X VS 5800X3D for long term

Associate
Prices on the place I use for assembly
5950x: 732€
X570 MB: 191,5€
64GB DDR4-3200: 307,5€
Total: 1231€

7700x: 536,5€
x670MB: 368,5€
64GB DDR5-5200: 410€
Total: 1315€

Basically AM5 is almost 100€ more expensive for me going down a tier.
My use case is 80% gaming 20% machine learning (hence the large amount of RAM), my i7 held up better than newer CPUs with fewer threads so that's why I'm in doubt.
I can only speak for myself, but part of the reason I went 5950x rather than wait back in July was

Next Gen teething issues. I don't want to play with issues. Zen3 is extremely stable. Matured.

PCIe-5 is a non starter really atm for me. I think Gen 4 nvme are kind of overkill.

Ram speeds for what currently around is fine in my use scenario.

I think cyberpunk used 30% CPU and PS3 Emulator as a test used 20% with code veronica.

I haven't tweaked my system either and all smooth.

In all fairness. All I can say is my current CPU is a beast and zero issues.

Man of Honour
my i7 held up better than newer CPUs with fewer threads so that's why I'm in doubt.

If you take productivity apps which use all the cores/threads available, then the 5950X wins (and by quite a margin sometimes), but 536 euro for a 7700X is way overpriced (it is 150+ euro too high), you should be getting a 7900X for that money and when all the cores/threads are used, it consistently beats the 5950X. Though, if you spend the extra to buy into AM5, you're only buying it 50% for now, 50% for the future CPU upgrades and they will likely blow the 5950X away.

Most B650 boards have pretty strong VRMs, comparable to the X570 boards, so you can shave off 100 euro there too, but I can understand you might want plenty of M.2 slots.

Associate
If you take productivity apps which use all the cores/threads available, then the 5950X wins (and by quite a margin sometimes), but 536 euro for a 7700X is way overpriced (it is 150+ euro too high), you should be getting a 7900X for that money and when all the cores/threads are used, it consistently beats the 5950X. Though, if you spend the extra to buy into AM5, you're only buying it 50% for now, 50% for the future CPU upgrades and they will likely blow the 5950X away.

Most B650 boards have pretty strong VRMs, comparable to the X570 boards, so you can shave off 100 euro there too, but I can understand you might want plenty of M.2 slots.
I'm waiting for the next generation to blow this away which I believe will be around 2026.

Also, you bring up a great point about M.2 slots on MoBo's. The issue with a few board is that the 2nd M.2 slot runs at half speed. Atleast, That is what I read in passing while choosing mine.

Associate
OP

Heh, that's what happens when you get in the wonderful world of having your PC built by someone else.
It's still a way better deal than buying a prebuild but it also means less flexibility and inflated prices on some parts (7950x 888€).

Soldato
been reading up on reviews at techpowerup, techspot, etc and didnt realise how powerful the 13600k was. it matches the 5950x in a lot of productivity stuff and even beats it in some areas. very surprised.

Associate
Hello everyone, I'm trying to finalize my next long term build and I'm trying to understand which move would make more sense in the long run.
I'm basically building a "best of DDR4" rig as that's where the best deals seems to be had but I'm uncertain on processor choice.

If I have to look at today's gaming charts the Ryzen 5800X3D seems a no brainer as it's both cheaper and faster, however it also seems to have pretty... situational performance.
Meanwhile, the Ryzen 5950x due to sheer horsepower does offer lower performance but more flexibility and could be the better long term bet if future games will take more advantage of extra threads.

If you'd have to keep the PC for at least 6 years (but more likely 8-10), which one would you choose? Mind you, I only care about acceptable performance (60-90 fps) and I'm not going to do anything more that swapping GPUs.
To give you some context, I'm writing from a nearly decade-old i7-3770k with an RX590 so I have a pretty good tolerance for relatively low FPS.

I am late to this thread and not read what others have written but here is my opinion. There will be no games designed in the next 10 years that need more than 8 cores...none ...nada.....zilch....zero....nought. To design a game that requires more than 8 cores will alienate 99% of the market and that is not a sensible move. Every new game will be designed for 8 cores and no more, 8 cores is the new 4 cores.

With that in mind get the 5800x3d for gaming or if you actually want longevity get an AM5 system.

Soldato
been reading up on reviews at techpowerup, techspot, etc and didnt realise how powerful the 13600k was. it matches the 5950x in a lot of productivity stuff and even beats it in some areas. very surprised.
Not really, it's a 14 core new gen against a 16 core 18 month ish old so should be matching it in most cases.

Soldato
aye, its a monster them little cores. its priced considerably lower than the 5950x too. makes me wonder if its better to swap to a ddr4 rocket lake setup or drop in a 5950x? but doing the latter means no gain in low threaded and single thread stuff.

Soldato
aye, its a monster them little cores. its priced considerably lower than the 5950x too. makes me wonder if its better to swap to a ddr4 rocket lake setup or drop in a 5950x? but doing the latter means no gain in low threaded and single thread stuff.

True, Prices are mental for everything ATM, Hoping next year when the crunch hits prices will somewhat drop to a reasonable level.

Associate
I keep looking at the 5950x but I know in my heart it won’t make a difference for what I do (games, usually old, and bits and bobs) but still feel tempted plus price has slightly crept down on ocuk and elsewhere.

Last edited:
Soldato
It is tempting going for 5950x even im thinking of it but i think if im gonna do the switch it may be cheaper to go intel 13th gen with cheapo mobo and carry my ddr4 over to it. Other option is just wait on my zen3 for a few years for am6 platform or what intel has at the time but.... That's boring...

Associate
OP
It is tempting going for 5950x even im thinking of it but i think if im gonna do the switch it may be cheaper to go intel 13th gen with cheapo mobo and carry my ddr4 over to it. Other option is just wait on my zen3 for a few years for am6 platform or what intel has at the time but.... That's boring...
My PC will be 10 years in January, I can hardly wait much longer...

Associate
Given your requirements 5950X will have the best longevity in my opinion. My system spec is very similar to yours and I intend to keep it for as long as I can hold off that upgrade itch.

My reasoning for the 5950X is that games will be aiming very much at using 8-cores, if not now then eventually, but of course we PC users have a lot more extra software on the go while we game compared to console users. Browsers with 15 tabs, Steam/GoG Galaxy/Origin/Epic running, Discord/MS Teams etc etc.... Running an 8-core will not be able to do all that very well if the game is built to exploit 8-cores as well. You will get much more slowdown and jerkiness compared to running with 16 full cores.

Also, depending on your gaming resolution, most games are GPU limited anyway so the gaming advantages of the 5800X will be further limited.

5950X is the correct choice if your budget doesn't stretch to the latest models.

Associate
Just reviving this old thread as I am considering an upgrade to my current system, and wondering about 5800X3D or 5950X. Sounds like the consensus is 5950X for more cores (and slightly faster boost??) over the extra cache in the X3D? I was absolutely thinking the upgrade path when I put it together was the most cores the MB can take, but the X3D muddies the water somewhat. Mostly used for gaming but also general use PC.

Current Spec:
X570 Aurous Elite
Ryzen 7 3800X
32GB (4x8) DDR4-3600 CAS 16
2x 970 EVO Plus 1TB
GTX 1070

The 1070 will need an upgrade to, I'm thinking 4070 due to 4080 outrageous prices, but will those Zen 3 CPUs limit the new GPUs at all?

The other option is to ditch the MB and DDR4 ram too, and go DDR5, or just buy a new system altogether. I usually build my own but can't really be bothered with that at the moment, must be getting old :) Another sign of getting old is baulking at the price new graphics cards are being offered at, I just don't want to give nVidia any encouragement at those prices even though in my oldness I could easily afford it.

Don
Mostly used for gaming but also general use PC.
Mostly for gaming then the 5800X3D would be the better choice - it's still competitive with both the newer Intel and AMD platforms, and will likely bottleneck any future card much less.

By the time the majority of games need more cores/threads than the 5800X3D, then even the 5950X would be outclassed by the numerous IPC improvements of newer chips anyway.

Associate
wondering about 5800X3D or 5950X. Sounds like the consensus is 5950X for more cores (and slightly faster boost??) over the extra cache in the X3D? I was absolutely thinking the upgrade path when I put it together was the most cores the MB can take, but the X3D muddies the water somewhat. Mostly used for gaming but also general use PC.

Current Spec:
X570 Aurous Elite
Ryzen 7 3800X
32GB (4x8) DDR4-3600 CAS 16
2x 970 EVO Plus 1TB
GTX 1070

The 1070 will need an upgrade to, I'm thinking 4070 due to 4080 outrageous prices, but will those Zen 3 CPUs limit the new GPUs at all?

The other option is to ditch the MB and DDR4 ram too, and go DDR5, or just buy a new system altogether. I usually build my own but can't really be bothered with that at the moment, must be getting old :) Another sign of getting old is baulking at the price new graphics cards are being offered at, I just don't want to give nVidia any encouragement at those prices even though in my oldness I could easily afford it.

For gaming the 5800X3D is significantly better than the 5950x and unless you are doing full core tasks you should go with the X3D chip.

GPU - Prices are idiotic and the 4070 is rumored to be released at £750 which is a rip off. Cant help you find a good deal on a gpu I am afraid but a 5800X3D will not limit any new gpu to a significant degree.

Back
Top Bottom