• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6800XT

Permabanned
Still trying to justify your poor decision in a 6800xt thread.

No. I asked you to describe this poor decision. Last time we worked out that you didn't understand DLSS.

My initial post here was to inform a would be buyer on the difference between a 6800 and 3080. Nothing to do with CPUs. This is all your making :D

Permabanned
DLSS runs on the Tensor cores, dedicated hardware to handle AI, Deep Learning Super Sampling. Using DLSS Quality at 1440p allows the GPU to render at 1080p and then upscale to 1440p providing a better image than the base 1080p. Throw in a little sharpening and you can't tell if DLSS is off or on other than the increase in frame rate.

So many turns left and right and in the end - the same result - lower image quality.
Why not just removing the tensor cores off the die because they plague the die, and invest in more shaders, so you can get the same end result?

Associate
No. I asked you to describe this poor decision. Last time we worked out that you didn't understand DLSS.

My initial post here was to inform a would be buyer on the difference between a 6800 and 3080. Nothing to do with CPUs. This is all your making :D
Poor decision = buying a 3080 to pair with a 3770k and enabling DLSS at 1440p. Amplifying the bottleneck. It's okay if you don't understand.

Soldato
You're absolutely toxic in the way you come across, belittling anything that you don't deem 'worthy'. You'll not find many fans around here fella.

mate it is better not to feed the troll. They guy is an extreme fanboy and will try to put down AMD at any opportunity. Just ignore his drivel.

Permabanned
Poor decision = buying a 3080 to pair with a 3770k and enabling DLSS at 1440p. Amplifying the bottleneck. It's okay if you don't understand.

DLSS runs on the Tensor cores, dedicated hardware to handle AI, Deep Learning Super Sampling. Using DLSS Quality at 1440p allows the GPU to render at 1080p and then upscale to 1440p providing a better image than the base 1080p. Throw in a little sharpening and you can't tell if DLSS is off or on other than the increase in frame rate. I just tried Off vs Quality, 39 vs 53. Of course I could drop down a lower sourse resolution to increase FPS even more, but I'm happy where it's at.

Maybe this is why you keep pushing AMD, you just didn't notice what Nvidia's tech does? :p

BTW. that's a 35% increase in FPS just by enabling DLSS Quality even on this old system.

My original post mentioning the 9yo Ivy Bridige CPU was to make clear how important the GPU is in next gen titles, pop a 3080 in and you can play with all bells and whistles enabled. Are you recommending that I purchase a lessor card, while waiting to upgrade this old dog and then purchase a 3080 once I do upgrade? :D

It's also worth mentioning that so far AMD will be using Microsoft's hardware agnostic DirectML to approach the super sampling problem. This means Nvidia will be running DirectML SS on dedicated Tensor cores while AMD will have to use the same cores that are already used for everything else.

So many turns left and right and in the end - the same result - lower image quality.
Why not just removing the tensor cores off the die because they plague the die, and invest in more shaders, so you can get the same end result?

Throw in a little sharpening and you can't tell if DLSS is off or on other than the increase in frame rate. I just tried Off vs Quality, 39 vs 53.

BTW. I thought DLSS was awful on release as well, Metro Exodus, but they have done a good job with 2.0.

You probably could do away with the Tensor cores If we had a couple of dedicated chips running RT, but that would at least tripple the price of GPUs today. You also have to consider tomorrow where 8k+ displays may become the norm. Long term, distribution and storage becomes an issue. This is something else that the Tensor cores could be used for. Especially with Microsoft's DirectML being hardware agnostic. AMD have already said that RNDA3 will be more AI focused, which leads me to conclude they now understand the need.

Associate
Picked up the Msi Gaming X 6800 for £1221 paid £300 over the retail price. Shipped and arrives tomorrow. Wanted a 3090 or 3080 but the prices are ridiculous, £2200 for a 3080 and £2500 plus for a 3090.

I was going to wait it out for a price drop but that itch became too much. upgrading from a 1080x and game at 1440p so i think i made the right choice.

Picked up the Msi Gaming X 6800 for £1221 paid £300 over the retail price. Shipped and arrives tomorrow. Wanted a 3090 or 3080 but the prices are ridiculous, £2200 for a 3080 and £2500 plus for a 3090.

I was going to wait it out for a price drop but that itch became too much. upgrading from a 1080x and game at 1440p so i think i made the right choice.

Wait you paid 1200 quid for a 6800 none XT?

Caporegime
Wait you paid 1200 quid for a 6800 none XT?

Non ffs. :mad:

You got taken for a ride if that's a NON XT, a competitor earlier was doing red devil 6800xt with a msi gaming chair for 1239.

Caporegime

Well, you made someone very happy with your purchase :p

But that price is insane.

Associate
Back
Top Bottom