• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6900xt - Sapphire Toxic Extreme

Caporegime
I've just picked up one of these cards, so appreciate you guys sharing this sort of info.

One question - I understand one of the options on the card is to physically toggle the bios to be software switchable... Isn't this the preferred option? That you I wouldn't need to keep opening up my case.
Possibly, if you want the plug and play option with minimal effort involved other than having to restart your PC each time to switch BIOS between the two mode depending on if you want more performance/power draw/heat/noise vs less performance, quieter operation/less power draw/het.

However, if you use MorePowerTool to edit power limits, the performance BIOS is completely redundant as you can have a custom power limit (above and beyond what the performance BIOS offers) and a fully customisable fan speed control with the Quiet BIOS (something the performance BIOS does not offer). When you take both of these into account, the smart play is to use the Quiet BIOS and extend the power limit if needed using MPT.

Soldato
Possibly, if you want the plug and play option with minimal effort involved other than having to restart your PC each time to switch BIOS between the two mode depending on if you want more performance/power draw/heat/noise vs less performance, quieter operation/less power draw/het.

However, if you use MorePowerTool to edit power limits, the performance BIOS is completely redundant as you can have a custom power limit (above and beyond what the performance BIOS offers) and a fully customisable fan speed control with the Quiet BIOS (something the performance BIOS does not offer). When you take both of these into account, the smart play is to use the Quiet BIOS and extend the power limit if needed using MPT.

Understood. I see now why MPT is required, even for guys like me who aren't necessarily going to be tweaking 24/7.

Thanks!

Soldato
Perfect, I'll get these dialed in and have a read on MPT.

This is my first AMD card in years, so I was a little worried it would take time to get up to speed. With your help I'll hit the ground running :cool:

Soldato
I was looking at the 5950x, but I see there are upgrades coming next year for both AMD and Intel. Think I'll wait and see what that brings.

3840x1600. I've literally just had my new AW3821DW arrive at the door. Going to be a fun evening :D

Caporegime
I was looking at the 5950x, but I see there are upgrades coming next year for both AMD and Intel. Think I'll wait and see what that brings.

3840x1600. I've literally just had my new AW3821DW arrive at the door. Going to be a fun evening :D
Cool, glad its not too low of a resolution since you will be holding that powerhouse GPU back a bit.

Let me know how you get on and enjoy. :)

Soldato
Cool, glad its not too low of a resolution since you will be holding that powerhouse GPU back a bit.

Let me know how you get on and enjoy. :)

Thanks Matt. Nice to think my GPU has some extra in the tank.

Had a quick play with the AW3821DW and it's a nice if small improvement over my old AW3418DW :D

Will see what next year brings. Once we know what the new CPU situation looks like, I can look at a bigger screen.

I'll let you know how I get on with the 6900XT. I'll need some time to play about with it, away from the curious little fingers that have just appeared :o :)

Associate
Just a couple of things to mention in regards to Rodac's post here as I agree on some of his points but not all……..
Thanks for adding this great input, this is the kind of info I would have like to read before I bought mine.

1) Derbauer
—>true, my recollection was inaccurate, he tested a number of cards but not the Sapphire, I think that it was the asus indeed, and the Red Devil powercolor.

2) open case you may hear the pump..
—>Yes, you really have to try hard to hear it, agree. I have good ears and I am also into audio…

3) 4) 5) 6) 7) If you flick the BIOS switch…
—>Really useful for others to know this, given the insane money I paid, I opted for the performance bios but yes there are other options
However, I only reported that others think those 3 fans are loud when running at 100% cooling otherwise noise is fine.

8. The performance BIOS is for someone who wants plug and play 2700Mhz clock speed, without doing any power, fan or clock speed tuning themselves. There are compromises on fan noise using this BIOS so I do not recommend it.
—> Here, I use both the performance and Trixx boost at 2700, yes it is fairly loud but subjectively may not run at 100% fan even in that mode, I am not sure. I believed that only manual overclocking would push the fan cooling at 100% all the time.

9) People who change the fans lose performance …
—> Happy you agree with me ;)

10) My system is completely silent and my GPU runs at 2725Mhz+ when gaming.
—> Then well done, I think that AMD is bit tuned like a performance cars, ok my case is optimised for space, not noise insulation but the AIO I use for the 16 core CPU Ryzen is accelerating at idle, my other intel machine is quieter by far.

11) Here is a picture of the GPU in my system.
—> Beautiful, I will try to post as well but I am typing this on my iPad, for now

Caporegime
Thanks for adding this great input, this is the kind of info I would have like to read before I bought mine.

1) Derbauer
—>true, my recollection was inaccurate, he tested a number of cards but not the Sapphire, I think that it was the asus indeed, and the Red Devil powercolor.

2) open case you may hear the pump..
—>Yes, you really have to try hard to hear it, agree. I have good ears and I am also into audio…

3) 4) 5) 6) 7) If you flick the BIOS switch…
—>Really useful for others to know this, given the insane money I paid, I opted for the performance bios but yes there are other options
However, I only reported that others think those 3 fans are loud when running at 100% cooling otherwise noise is fine.

8. The performance BIOS is for someone who wants plug and play 2700Mhz clock speed, without doing any power, fan or clock speed tuning themselves. There are compromises on fan noise using this BIOS so I do not recommend it.
—> Here, I use both the performance and Trixx boost at 2700, yes it is fairly loud but subjectively may not run at 100% fan even in that mode, I am not sure. I believed that only manual overclocking would push the fan cooling at 100% all the time.

9) People who change the fans lose performance …
—> Happy you agree with me ;)

10) My system is completely silent and my GPU runs at 2725Mhz+ when gaming.
—> Then well done, I think that AMD is bit tuned like a performance cars, ok my case is optimised for space, not noise insulation but the AIO I use for the 16 core CPU Ryzen is accelerating at idle, my other intel machine is quieter by far.

11) Here is a picture of the GPU in my system.
—> Beautiful, I will try to post as well but I am typing this on my iPad, for now
Cool, would be nice to see it. :)

Soldato
I can’t really tell what noise is your pump and what is the rest of your system. I can say that I don’t hear my pump over my system, but that probably doesn’t help you.

Caporegime
I couldn’t hear too much on your recording, but mine does not make any pump noise that I can hear.

You may find it gets quieter over time perhaps?
It’s always a possible risk with AIOs it seems on GPUs. I remember my fury X whined a bit on the pump but got better over time.

Soldato
Now a proud owner myself can someone suggest settings in the Radeon Software for me as the head room for the slides is so large now I can't get it to overclock in there without crashing.

So far just used the trixx toxic button but manual settings would be better for me.
Then I can move onto the mpt adjustments after I've got used to that

Back
Top Bottom