• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

£700 for gtx 1080 (aka new 980) - ehmmm..no thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Best performing single GPU card on market is expensive shocker!!! Really, get a grip.
They are going to charge what people will pay, supply and demand, its all rather simple.
If you want the newest shiny thing you will pay for it, i think early adopters are brilliant, helps new tech get established.
I haven't even been tempted to upgrade my PC, its the longest i have gone without spending any money the reason?? im still on 1080 60Hz, i play the PC without my glasses and i honestly cannot tell the difference while playing at 4K...so i recommend if you want to save money almost poke your eye out and wear an eyepatch for a month, the savings in the long run are worth it.

Get a bit closer and run fraps.

Soldato
Nvidia is either very clever or very silly with their pricing. I go with the former. Either way they are playing games with their customers.
What the problem :confused:

1). Customers wanted a faster GPU
2). NVidia wanted more money

So with the new GTX 1080 Customers get there faster GPU and NVidia get there extra money.So it a Win Win

:D

Last edited:
Soldato
Price annoys me, but more so people claiming the fastest card on the market is mid range...

Mid range is like £250-350 tops, and NOT the fastest card either, the whole definition of middle doesn't mean top!

What the 1080 is is high end card at enthusiast price point. Pricing will obviously be "corrected" when the 1080ti comes out, at the moment people are paying early adopter prices.

Doesn't help there is no competition either.

Soldato
It's called milking your customers. Guaranteed once the 1080Ti and AMD variants come out prices will drop. Probably not as much as people may want but they will drop. Get used to it or make peace with not buying due to principle?

Soldato
980 was a very neat attempt by nv to test how far they can go with their pricing and how many naive ppl are out there. It appears there are plenty hence 1080 price

This your one sided view. I mean if people need a new card at the time for whatever reason, there's nothing naive about them and buying a 980 or 1080 or whatever. You're assuming everyone has the same needs as you, same budget etc.WHy wait however many months for something faster or one of the faster cards of the generation. So what if something faster comes out soon - that always happens anyway :D.

Besides, many enthusiasts upgrade all the time anyway. 1080 to Titan i may do this time.
I'd laugh my a** off if this time around Nvidia release a Ti card three months after the TItan and then just three months later a 1180 appears and blows it away :). Who would have been naive then? As Pascal wasn't even in the lineup, maybe it's not going to be so long this time before VOlta appears :).

In my opinion the Ti isn't the best card to have either because it's the card that comes out that is the closest to the release of a new gen.

What's better, to buy the first fast card of each gen and get in on the new technology early, or the last, which will be faster but you'll be late getting the new tech and it wont be too long before the new tech arrives? THere's no right answer to that, each to their own. There nothing good or valuable about holding a top end card of the previous generation - pure performance matters

IMO the Titan of each gen is the one to have if people have the budget, assuming it comes before the Ti model

Last edited:
Associate
Maybe they are all running single card setups at 4k, so they need that extra 3-5 fps?

Most of all not holding on to your hardware and selling immediately will preserve your card's value, making the upgrade quite cheap.

I don't understand why people are looking at it as "this card replaces 980", because it doesn't. The past is the past, you know what this card does? Replace the 980Ti as top performing GPU.
Thus the 1080 will eventually settle in that 500-650£ range the 980TI was at.

There's no yesterday, forget the 980. This is top range until a better performing card comes out.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's called milking your customers. Guaranteed once the 1080Ti and AMD variants come out prices will drop. Probably not as much as people may want but they will drop. Get used to it or make peace with not buying due to principle?

It doesn't work like that.

Firstly you buy a GPU and you then don't need to buy another GPU for quite some time. There is also many variants of GPUs which can do a great job and give just as good a gaming experience. You can buy a GTX 960 or a 380 and save money. Nobody NEEDS the fastest and it isn't a given that everyone should be able to buy the fastest. Milking would be to buy the GPU and then need to keep paying NVidia for the use of it!

Lots of salty tears in this thread and lots of people seem to feel they have the right to buy the fastest GPU for 50p :o

Associate
I agree with the topic, the price is an offence and will make even more people thinking that PC Gaming is for very few... I can easily afford it but I will never buy it as at £650ish how many people will buy it? 100? 200? Thusand... games are not going to be optimized for such a niche...

Nvidia fan here and I like their efficency but charging that much? That's Apple nonsense... they can keep their graphic card!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom