• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

£700 help

Soldato
Lol @ people saying sli 780... when it's over his budget.

2x 290 pro with aftermarket cooling IS within budget... AND just as fast

stop with the silliness nvidia trolls.

Caporegime

Ever thought that people don't want to rip apart a brand new card and start glueing bits to it? Also, Not sure what cooler you was looking at but when I checked OcUK, I couldn't see any that kept him in his budget.

Soldato
I would stretch to two 780s if possible. If not than look at 2 290s and hope you don't get the black screen issue.

Realistically to match an overclocked 780 around the 1250-1300 MHz core level with a 290 you're going to have to take it to pieces and fit a custom cooler to it or buy a custom cooled one from the off and hope for a good clocker. Some people like to do this and if so then fair enough but for others then I would always recommend a 780 currently with the black screen issues still prevalent.

Associate

The cheapest non-reference R9 290 on OcUK is £379.99 - which is the same price as the Gigabyte Windforce 780s I mentioned above. And those 780s will generally outperform the cheapest non-reference 290.

But, I think you were just trying to start another pointless AMD/Nvidia flamewar, weren't you?

Associate
OP
what about this?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp.../unoptimized&gclid=COjCmcy2-bsCFUTJtAod2XwAKg

then if i get a bigger monitor than the one im using now buy another?

or 2 of these

Gigabyte GTX780 GigaHertz Edition WINDFORCE 3GB

Manufacturer: Gigabyte Interface: PCIe 3.0 (x16)
Chipset: GTX 780 Connectivity: 1 x DisplayPort
1 x Dual Link DVI-I
1 x DVI-D
1 x HDMI
Edition: GHz Edition Maximum Digital Resolution: 4096x2160
Manufacturing process: 28 nm Maximum VGA Resolution:
Cores: 2304 SLI: Quad
Streams: N/A Multi Monitor: 4 displays
Core Clock: 1019 MHz HDCP Ready: Yes
Boost Clock: 1071 MHz Width: Dual Slot
Shader Clock: N/A Crossfire:
Memory: 3GB Low Profile Compatible: No
Memory Bit Rate: 384 Bit Low Profile Support: N/A
Memory Type: GDDR5 Package Type: Retail
Memory Clock: 6008 MHz Maximum GPU Power:
Cooling: Tri Fan

i agree its a bit more than i wanted to go but surly it would be worth it, as far as i am aware these are the fastest non ti versions going so in SLI should run amazing i guess

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-127-GI&tool=3 thats them

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd go for 290s in Crossfire if you want the best bang for buck, just a quick as 780's in Sli and you'll save yourself a decent lump of cash.

A bit noisy over a certain point, normally between 50-65% and they run hotter than some.

There is an issue with some cards having blackscreen crashes at stock, which while off putting, doesn't warrant imo at least, spending an extra £100 on the 780s.

Unless of course your looking at giving G-sync/PhysX a try.

Regardless of what you decided, be it 780s or 290s, both setups will offer incredible performance and i'm sure you'll love either of them.

Best of luck.

Caporegime
And I hope AMD have fixed some of the Crossfire issues, *not* happy with the crappy scaling!!!

Get my 2nd 290X on Monday you see :D

Check out H's review vs 780's and Titans on non release day drivers. :)

We saw from 20-40% performance advantages with R9 290X CrossFire over GTX 780 SLI. These are real, large increases, in performance. That extra money spent, is more than going into more performance delivered and a better gameplay experience.

We are simply impressed with the dominance that Radeon R9 290X CrossFire is showing over the GTX TITAN SLI and GTX 780 SLI.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/12/13/4_weeks_radeon_r9_290x_crossfire/3
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013...x_crossfire_video_card_review/10#.UtOZlvRdX7g

Associate
OP
What R290X editions will beat the 780 ghz editions but stay quiet whilst doing so. Personally all I want is will the 780ghz edition be better and faster compared to the R290X in xfire. I mean if there on par but the 780s are quieter ill get them as I want less noise however if the 290x is on par and quiet ill get them for cheapness. money a side and bang for buck a side it goes like this.....

Fastest...........

Which one keeps quiet..........

Which one is coolest........

Man how hard is choosing a card lol. Bear in mind I am after something that the R290x has over the 780 ghz editions if nothing then its a no brainer lol

Associate
OP
Ok so my choices are

sapphire r290x tri x oc

or

Gigabyte 780 ghz edition

in sli OR xfire these are the 2 cards im warming to so what are people thinking here

Back
Top Bottom