• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7700k in Z170 Mobo

Associate
OP
This is bad. Something is wrong.

Yeah, gonna look at things later on tonight, defo something not right.

No, its not a case of delidding. Prime is not recommended any more by intel. Certain instruction sets cause voltage spikes that can result in really high temps. Use Realbench or Aida64.

I was getting 90's after a session of gaming, I think I have an issue with my setup somewhere

Soldato
you do realise that other software pushes the cpu to those limits with similar reults don't you? commercial avx video encoding software for example

intel have a problem

That's the thing.. They don't.. Prime95 puts an unrealistic load through the CPU. I believe that's why they have included an AVX offset option in the BIOS now so when overclocking you can compensate for AVX issue.

Yeah, gonna look at things later on tonight, defo something not right.

I was getting 90's after a session of gaming, I think I have an issue with my setup somewhere

Yeah sounds like a different problem. Make sure you have no airlocks in your loop.

Soldato
That's the thing.. They don't.. Prime95 puts an unrealistic load through the CPU. I believe that's why they have included an AVX offset option in the BIOS now so when overclocking you can compensate for AVX issue.

having to throttle a CPU when its being used as it is designed for , because it cannot stay inside of the thermal and power envelope - means it has a problem

Associate
OP
Even the monoblock has no bubbles in it, I'v not fully filled the res so I can see a good flow of liquid, used MX2 TIM and a fair amount to make sure it covered evenly but not overly used.

Soldato
having to throttle a CPU when its being used as it is designed for , because it cannot stay inside of the thermal and power envelope - means it has a problem

Have you tried a i7-7700K at stock? On a cheap cooler? Does it work? Yes... Is it reasonably cool? Yes.. Then its fine. When you start overclocking is where the issues are. The more burden on the CPU when overclocked requires more voltage. The AVX Extensions causes voltage issues when the CPU is overclocked causing extreme overheating.

Can you please tell me what other software you have tested that comes close to the load that Prime95/IBT puts on the CPU?

BTW most if not all new CPUs throttle to some extent when their heat/voltage envelope is exceeded.

Soldato
It won't be because of the mobo, unless there's a fault with it somehow, but then you'd surely be having other problems. What cooler/block are you using?

Associate
OP
It won't be because of the mobo, unless there's a fault with it somehow, but then you'd surely be having other problems. What cooler/block are you using?

Custom water loop with XPOWER Monoblock :\

There is deffo something wrong there. I cant see it because you are using a Z170 Motherboard. Do you have a air cooler at all you could try? If its the same then it could be CPU or Motherboard, if its reasonable then its your cooling setup.

On my 6700 non-k, I had OC'd it to 4.3Ghz stable with max temps reporting 70~, this shouldn't be the case, I don't have any other coolers though.

Could just be the bios reporting the wrong temp?

I though this might be the case to be honest but there is some real heat being pumped out of my case

Soldato
I would nip to a local computer shop and grab a cheap air cooler to test with. I have tonnes you would be more than welcome to but unless you are in Derby it may not be cost effective to come and pick it up.

What coolant do you use? Do you use anti algae or kill coil in your loop? You could have a algae build up in the waterblock.

Associate
OP
I would nip to a local computer shop and grab a cheap air cooler to test with. I have tonnes you would be more than welcome to but unless you are in Derby it may not be cost effective to come and pick it up.

What coolant do you use? Do you use anti algae or kill coil in your loop? You could have a algae build up in the waterblock.

Mayhems Pastel - Blue Berry Coolant 1L - well under 1yr old and change fluid on chip change, my 6700 non-k was maxing at ~70 @ 4.3Ghz every day use.

I actually nearly come to Derby last week for a new car, how odd... If I'm still getting terrible temps at 4.7 after a delid, I'll consider trying an air cooler but the effort of taking a custom loop out! haha

Soldato
Some motherboards have USB BIOS Flashback feature, you don't need a cpu or anything connected to the mainboard other than the atx power supply.

Associate
I am using 7 years old custom wc block ;) and 4x120mm radiator.
What is funny the base of the wc block is nearly cold under stress , probably deliding ihs can give stable 5.2 Ghz or more.
For now CPU is running stable at 5GHz with vcore 1.37 tested with OCCT 4.4.2 1h stress
and over 6h playing Battlefield 1 plus some tests with superpi and prime95 .

b.t.w
CPU purchased at overclockers.co.uk boxed

Last edited:
Soldato
Evening all. Just thought my 2c might be useful to someone.
Gigabyte Z170 Gaming K3 motherboard
i7-7700K CPU is on the supported CPU list but only from BIOS F20. Board bought in December and BIOS was F2. Assumed it'd get to BIOS, flash and then be fine. Nope. System turns on but does not POST.
Had to borrow a Skylake i5 to do the BIOS update and then it worked fine.

Back
Top Bottom