• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7950CF upgrade time?

Associate
I'm running tri-xfire 7950's and can relate to the heat issue, when all are running it resembles a turkish sauna (minus the half naked men of course) and can be a tad loud. Was thinking of the fury x but now I'm thinking 980ti. Going to wait a month or two, let the prices settle and see what the real world performance of the fury x is.

Associate
Just installed my 980ti and really impressed so far. Its not benching as fast as my 7970s (having said that, i haven really had a play with overclocking the 980ti, it went to +200 without any trouble), but games feel much smoother (and no flickering textures!), will do some more testing over the next couple of days and report back when the "new toy" optimism has had chance to wear off :)

Soldato
Well ofc one 980/fury x Etc is faster than two 7950s but overclock the 7950s to there limit and there won't be much in it 10% faster from the new gen if that.
Ofc it's a single gpu less power less issues less heat and no need for crossfire profiles etc etc, and it's newer (talking about a new cards over the 7950s)

But it depends on how much spare cash you have, I mean I'm sure as heck not willing to pay 500 or more for 10% - 20% better performance just because it's newer. I want a fury x so bad because it's a single gpu and Aio and quiet, but I don't think it's worth 500 pounds for them small perks of 20 quid a year less on energy bills or something and a bit quieter, cause I have a head set on anyway most of the time.

When I do finally spend 500 on a new gpu it will have to beat what I have now by some margin I'll have to get double my performance or close to for it to be worth it in my eyes.

Soldato
I went from 3 Watercooled 7970s into 4 Watercooled 980s and the difference is night and day in terms of thermals. The 980s are 2 x 6 pin and kick out some serious performance as boost when watercooled is consistent. Am running 980 Hydro Copper BIOS.

Nvidia drivers are OK not a giant leap over AMD however, G-Sync is pretty sweet.

980ti will obviously be faster still with the usual concessions against power-draw and heat.

I considered the upgrade into 980ti's but after the 7970s I wanted something cool and the 980ti's kick out some serious thermals so will be sticking with 980s until 14nm/16nm.

I think the best buy at the moment could be two used EVGA 980 cards for £280 each (The EVGA 980 Cards from last year had 5 year warranty) and put the rest towards a G-Sync monitor.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom