• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7970/50 Arctic Accelero Users

Wow! If you guys want to give your Accelero a workout, try Far Cry 3. Running most games at 5760x1080, the highest core temperature I've seen was in Sleeping Dogs where it hit 80C. Last night played FC3 at Optimal settings (mix of High, Very High and a medium) and my 7970 was sat at 89-90C all the time even though the fan was at 100%! Looks and plays beautifully but that game really does work the graphics card hard. :)

P.S. this is a launch 7970 flashed to GHz BIOS running 1125/1575 on stock voltage.

Wow! If you guys want to give your Accelero a workout, try Far Cry 3. Running most games at 5760x1080, the highest core temperature I've seen was in Sleeping Dogs where it hit 80C. Last night played FC3 at Optimal settings (mix of High, Very High and a medium) and my 7970 was sat at 89-90C all the time even though the fan was at 100%! Looks and plays beautifully but that game really does work the graphics card hard. :)

P.S. this is a launch 7970 flashed to GHz BIOS running 1125/1575 on stock voltage.

Are those core or vrm temps stu?

Core temps. :eek: Will have to set up GPUz later and have a play to see what VRMs are doing, once my kid's finally off COD and I can actually get on my PC...

Something is seriously wrong if your core is getting that high. Even when i put my voltage all the way up ive never seen my core go much higher than 60c.

I think a complete rebuild should be in order for you.

Something is seriously wrong if your core is getting that high. Even when i put my voltage all the way up ive never seen my core go much higher than 60c.

I think a complete rebuild should be in order for you.

Sounds good to me (any excuse to fiddle with my hardware). Any chance someone could post a max core temp with a fairly demanding game/benchmark so I can compare apples with apples? May hook up just one screen and run it to see if I'm in the ballpark or way out. Cheers.

Sounds good to me (any excuse to fiddle with my hardware). Any chance someone could post a max core temp with a fairly demanding game/benchmark so I can compare apples with apples? May hook up just one screen and run it to see if I'm in the ballpark or way out. Cheers.

How about 3 continuous runs one after the other of the sleeping dogs benchmark at 1440p? Will be using the HIGH SSAA setting rather than extreme to keep solid high fps.

Will record my highest vrm & core temps.

Will run these clocks

1225 core @ 1.2 volts (stock is 1.112)
Memory at 1600 (stock memory voltage)

How about 3 continuous runs one after the other of the sleeping dogs benchmark at 1440p? Will be using the HIGH SSAA setting rather than extreme to keep solid high fps.

Will record my highest vrm & core temps.

Will run these clocks

1225 core @ 1.2 volts (stock is 1.112)
Memory at 1600 (stock memory voltage)

Settings Used (taken at end of third run)

yXpVn.jpg

Temps

CZ4Js.jpg

TL : DR

Core 61c
VRM 96c
Mem 72c

The Accelero coolers are awesome.

I run one on my 680 and temps never go above 60 Deg C, even with an overclock.

That glue though...takes FOREVER to cure. :(

96c :eek:
Even if it wasn't causing problems, my mental block wouldn't handle it :D

Still, you are at 1225...

That's why im going for a reseat and going to try those larger L shaped heatsinks.

I've pushed the vrms up to 105c before, bottled it shortly after that. Seems my card doesn't mind hot temps. It was stable at those temps but no way id run it that hot for any length of time.

Sleeping dogs is always worst case scenario, it adds 15c+ on the vrms over other games.

I really don't understand why there is panic and rebuilds taking place for VRM's reaching 96.c. They are rated to run at 125.c constant for their life. They are well within tolerances by a fair margin.

Its a bit like always driving your car at 60 instead of 70 as the engine runs a few .c cooler... ?

Madness....:D

Thanks for the settings Matt.

Run Sleeping Dogs at the same settings but at 1920x1200 (we're not all flash gits with 1440p monitors, he added jealously!). Core topped out at 72C, VRM1 at 71 and VRM2 at 64. Ran the bench again at 5760x1080, although oddly the display only shows on the middle screen the FPS is what I'd expect in game across 3 - weird. This time the core hit 72C, VRM1 at 85 and VRM2 at 72.

One thing I did notice was my max VDDC was at 1.25V where yours showed a lot lower. My Afterburner is set to monitor voltage, but not control it, but the graphics processor type was set to 1.25V. Changed this to 1.15V in Afterburner settings, and it doesn't seem to have made any difference to temperatures, but my max VDDC us now showing 1.15V. Odd, so wrote it off as just a monitoring/scale display thing.

Just spent a few minutes playing FC3 and today it tops out at 81C on the core, where last night it was hitting over 90. Ambient in the room is about the same so I'm at a bit of a loss to explain the difference.

My plan for the evening is flash back to the stock BIOS (my card doesn't seem to like over 1125/1575 anyway, sos won't make a difference there) and see where I am temperature wise. If that doesn't make a huge difference, then the Accelero is coming off and being reseated.

Thanks for the help again guys.

Changing BIOS made no difference. Knew it was a long shot, but only thing I could think of that I've changed. PC shutting down and screwdrivers coming out now. :)

Edit @ 23:52 - reseated the cooler and dropped ...... 2C on the core during the Sleeping Dogs benchmark, down to 69C. I think this is simply as good as my chip/cooler/case combination can do. The core still stays well into normal operating range, so I'm not going to start trying to add new fans to the case or anything. Just going to put myself as the upper range of normal for other people to measure their setups against I guess. Happy gaming everyone. :)

Last edited:
The ghz edition bios is crap, all it does is give you higher temps and in my case unstable memory overclocks.

I think a refit is a good idea for you stu. Your core contact cannot be that good as your core temps are much higher than any ive seen. Good luck.

What will you be using for adhesive?

Back
Top Bottom