• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7970 or 770?

Associate
OP
Woah, I leave the thread for 2 minutes and it all blows up! ;)

Yes I will be overclocking, luckily Matt has guided me in the past and I was in the accellero club (brings a tear of joy that I'm still considered 'part of the club') So yeah, I do like the painful test after test to get the best out of what I have.
I didn't know there was a 4gb version of the 670, but I completely forgot about the 7970 being 384 bit, which iirc tipped the scales last time.

I'm a bit nervous it being a HIS but iirc overclockers deal with the rma for them so all should be good if the card craps itself, for the 4th time.

Reading through all that had my mind flipping between 'I want a 770 now' and 'phew, I got the right card'!

bru

bru

Soldato
As you will be overclocking both a 770 or a 7970 would be good, the 770 does seem to have an edge in the games you mentioned but either will be a nice card and should be fine.

Associate
OP
As you will be overclocking both a 770 or a 7970 would be good, the 770 does seem to have an edge in the games you mentioned but either will be a nice card and should be fine.

That was my thought after reading all the replies, but less than one frame isn't exactly an edge.

Associate
To the OP, I have 2 of the HIS 7970 (not Ghz) and they run stable @ 1200/1725 on stock cooling (around mid 60's) obviously more heat but yours should do that sort of OC and more, but like people say, its a lottery getting CPU's and GPU's these days ;)

Permabanned
As for the HIS ,I had 3 7970s and sent them all back. First one was DOA and the second 2 buzzed like crazy. Also found them to be a lot louder than the Gigabyte WF with the fans up.

Soldato
I don't call 1 fps at 1080p considerably faster. No way a voltage locked 770 will be keeping up with a voltage unlocked 7970. Not unless that 770 is a golden clocker and judging by the way my 7970 took care of Rusty's golden clocking 680 id still say its a long shot. The gap gets even closer at 1440p as well.

Only in Sleeping Dogs and not a lot I can do about AA implemented to run faster on AMD hardware. :p

Caporegime
Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, I would suggest a 770, they are every bit as quick as a 7970ghz ed, a tad faster in some games and a tad slower in some. with the games you have listed the 770 is somewhat faster in those particular games.
Test setup and review here http://www.anandtech.com/show/6994/nvidia-geforce-gtx-770-review

*Posted pics sniped :)*

bru has posted the benchmark slides for ONLY the games where Nvidia are faster.

there are more games in his linked review where the 7970 Ghz is faster than the GTX 770, the ones bru did not post. Some of those games the 7970 Ghz is much faster, in one or two the 7970 Ghz is even faster than the GTX 780. (a testament to what what you can throw at the 7970 where it will not be phased)

Anand themselves sum it up very well in their conclusion of that review.

At the same time however given the fact that we’re looking at a performance tie AMD is making a very serious effort to offer more value than NVIDIA through their Level Up with Never Settle Reloaded gaming bundle. These bundles are non-tangible items – the value of which is solely in the eye of the beholder – but for a buyer interested in those games it’s going to be a very convincing argument. And then there’s compute performance and the amount of included RAM, both of which continue to favor AMD, though admittedly this is nothing new.

Meanwhile on a side note, it’s interesting to note that as evidenced by this launch that AMD has pushed NVIDIA to the point where NVIDIA has generally sacrificed their efficiency advantage to reach performance parity at a $400 price point. At the launch of the 7970GE NVIDIA at least tied the 250W 7970GE with a 195W GTX 680, giving NVIDIA an efficiency advantage. But now with the launch of the GTX 770 NVIDIA needs a 230W card to match that very same 250W 7970GE, a testament to AMD’s driver improvements and a reflection of the fact that just like AMD, NVIDIA needed to push a GPU to its limits to get here. There are still some edge cases here worth considering – you can’t get 7970GE on a blower for example – but under gaming workloads AMD and NVIDIA’s power consumption and heat generation have been equalized, making these cards more tied than ever before.
Ultimately a tie is a wonderful thing and a frustrating thing at the same time, and that’s definitely the case here with the launch of the GTX 770. The wonderful aspect of it is that NVIDIA and AMD are once again locked in vicious, brutal combat around the $400 price point. It has brought performance up and prices down in the middle of a generation, improving the options for all customers. The frustrating aspect on the other hand is that having a clear winner makes customers feel better as it removes any question about whether they’ve made the right choice. After all it’s much easier to make a choice when there’s really no choice to be made.

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
bru has posted the benchmark slides for ONLY the games where Nvidia are faster.

there are more games in his linked review where the 7970 Ghz is faster than the GTX 770, the ones bru did not post. Some of those games the 7970 Ghz is much faster, in one or two the 7970 Ghz is even faster than the GTX 780. (a testament to what what you can throw at the 7970 where it will not be phased)

Anand themselves sum it up very well in their conclusion of that review.

No argument from me there, I did indeed only put up some graphs for certain games, as these were the games that the opening poster listed as the ones he wanted to play.

Right so after a while without a card I'm getting another and am torn between these two cards.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-073-HS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=938

and

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-202-MS&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1750

The only thing that puts me off the 770 is the 2gb memory vs the 3gb of the 7970, and the lower number of stream processors with the 770.

I know that the twin frozr cards are supposed to be very good, but haven't msi had a few problems recently regarding reliability?

So from the more knowledgeable, which card and why?

Main games will be BF3, Crysis 3 and Farcry 3 & blood dragon.

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, I would suggest a 770, they are every bit as quick as a 7970ghz ed, a tad faster in some games and a tad slower in some. with the games you have listed the 770 is somewhat faster in those particular games.

as was furtherevidenced in my later posts, I was not saying "oh you must buy a 770 as Nvidia are overall better than AMD" I was just saying that in the games he has mentioned the 770 is slightly ahead.

Why does this happen all the time.

The opening poster asked which card would be best for him for the games he wants to play out of the 7970 and the 770, in this case the games he wants to play all favour the 770, so why do we have these arguments in every thread. If the 7970 was clearly the better card for the opening poster then I would suggest that card but for the opening poster it isn't the better card. It doesn't matter if you over clock both cards or not for the games he wants to play the 770 is faster.

As for the only 1fps better,in that one review. Whereas the one i listed the gap is bigger, best thing to do is to go read several reviews and try to get an overal picture.

Caporegime
I did a bit of looking around as to why Anand's results are so different to what other review sites have been posting and i found out why. :) Dave Baumann from AMD had commented on it after asked on beyond3d.

CMIn4G3.jpg.png

I looked around for other review sites and what i found was things are pretty close between these two cards 770/7970 ghz. The 770 is definitely a tiny bit faster at 1080p, not so at 1440p. The results below also include a overclocked version of the 770. So OP i wouldn't worry about having made the wrong choice personally as you can add 20-25% onto the 7970 ghz with good overclocking on both the core and memory.

svw2AuQ.gif.png

52mdEC9.gif

BsdaHgM.gif.png

jCxOQkL.gif.png

tyCylOp.gif.png

GsJlok9.gif.png

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Got my card today, and so far I'm very happy with it. Not had a chance to OC it yet but I'll give that a bash tomorrow.

A MILLION times quieter than my previous MSI, so I'm well chuffed.

Cheers guys.

Associate
Nice one, hope it treats you well ;) Also you don't have to overclock it, it should run most things you throw its way on high settings, but I know its hard to resist :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom