• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7970 Vs 770 - Stock & OC Gaming Benchmarks

Caporegime
OP
This is why I never trust paid reviewers. That Hitman bench is a standardised in game bench result, so all those fluctuations are clearly wrong and the same goes for Tomb Raider.

A few brown envelopes fly about me thinks :D

The problem is that not every site uses the in game benchmark. If they did then our results would more often match up. I hate benching games without an in game benchmark, its not consistent enough. At least i know with Hitman, Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, Bioshock etc you get the same results everytime.

Caporegime
The problem is that not every site uses the in game benchmark. If they did then our results would more often match up. I hate benching games without an in game benchmark, its not consistent enough. At least i know with Hitman, Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, Bioshock etc you get the same results everytime.

Agreed.

When we did the BF3 bench, if someone was pap at it and someone was awesomes, the results would not tally up even on the exact same systems.

I do wish more devs would implement a standardised bench like Tomb Raider/Bioshock/Metro LL etc.

Caporegime
OP
Will do give me 10 mins :)

Atta boy. This is what Scotty managed with his 770.

2500k @ 5.0

770 Lightning 1385/8210

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Agreed.

When we did the BF3 bench, if someone was pap at it and someone was awesomes, the results would not tally up even on the exact same systems.

I do wish more devs would implement a standardised bench like Tomb Raider/Bioshock/Metro LL etc.

Yes will be delighted if they get a proper bench in bf4, really hope they do. Will settle some arguments for sure. :p

Caporegime
OP
Definitely cpu bottlenecked at 1080p with x4 AA. Even with the cpu at 5ghz usage was still only 67-77%.

Nry1j7M.jpg

With x8 usage was a bit higher, 87-97%, though it only crept up to 97% at the end.

O78ZVnS.jpg

67.8fps avg

Not bad, you need to find a few more fps to tie with scotty and double that to catch the 7970 though.

uh6fq11.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
With a little more tweaking

CPU @ 4.4ghz
GPU 1320mhz | Memory 1987mhz

681183877_o.jpg

Caporegime
OP
With a little more tweaking

CPU @ 4.4ghz
GPU 1320mhz | Memory 1987mhz

681183877_o.jpg

Guys this could end up an expensive new habit for me chasing numbers lol.

Good fun innit. :D

Here's a cheeky little 7950 entry at 1225/1750 to beat Jim's 770. Might be able to squeeze a bit more out of it yet, so scotty should prepare an orifice in case this £200 gpu takes the lead. :D

DhTeDmv.jpg

Caporegime
OP
Thats an impressive score for a 7950 but isnt TressFX like running PHYSx on an AMD card?

No as TressFX and Direct Compute are open to everyone. Its basically just part of Directx 11.

Taken from Toms

"TressFX will provide realism to hair rendering in ways that otherwise can only be done with CGI or pre-rendered scenes. The trick to this is DirectCompute, allowing much better visuals with a minimal impact on CPU performance. The technology is similar to Nvidia's PhysX, making the GPU do the computations rather than the CPU."

Taken from Wiki

"Microsoft DirectCompute is an application programming interface (API) that supports general-purpose computing on graphics processing units on Microsoft Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8. DirectCompute is part of the Microsoft DirectX collection of APIs and was initially released with the DirectX 11 API but runs on both DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 graphics processing units."

I need to try and beat Scottys score. :D

Caporegime
OP
Sorry for the delay :o

1250/1900

1300/1800

Yay! An extra 2fps min and 1.4fps avg! So worth it.

Well done Petey. Now see if you can break my sleeping dogs records posted earlier. :D

Did you have to drop the memory down to get 1300 stable? I find 1823 is a good number but if you can go higher then that should help so long as error correction is not kicking in.

Soldato
Nah, I used Trixx to get the core voltage over 1.3 but there's no memory voltage adjustment on there unless there's a modded/newer version about.
Can I get AB to run over 1.3v?

I haven't really been keeping up with stuff tbh :o

Back
Top Bottom