• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7970 Vs 770 - Stock & OC Gaming Benchmarks

Soldato
The point is you can match the performance of a card costing £550 with a card costing £299, assuming you keep the free games. Of course you can overclock the 780, but the point still remains. If the difference in price between the cards was much smaller, it wouldn't be worth mentioning, but thats not the case. To be able to match stock performance of a card costing £550 or more with a card costing £299 or more is amazing in my opinion. What other cards can you do that with where there is that much difference between the price?

Well then you can't match the performance if you can overclock the 780 as well can you? You can match stock performance with an overclocked card... this trend holds true throughout the whole hierarchy... what's the big deal? If we applied that principal quite literally, we'd all have 7750s :D.

If an overclocked 7970 OC was closer to a 780 OC then I think it would be more interesting but there is a fair gap which is generally typical of a generation these days. The price is a separate thing, I'm talking in pure performance terms.

Caporegime
OP
What happened did you kill a card?

Nope natural causes. Incase you missed my post earlier in the thread.

Well i guess now is a good a time as any to release some shocking news into the community. The 680 slayer is dead. :eek: :( I woke up one morning and got no display. Sent it back to ocuk and Bailey took one look at it and said it was goosed and sent it back to msi for repair or replacement. One month later nothing from msi so they offered me a refund. So here i am now with £375 7950 crossfire.

I will never forget that 7970, especially the ease with which it dispatched 680's worth up to £450 for the cost of £270.

Suspended
Nope natural causes. Incase you missed my post earlier in the thread.

Ahah.... yeah, I never push my GPU's to the point where i'm hypnotised by the freaky lightshow on my screen just to gain a few extra points in Heaven Valley :p

On my GPU that begins at around 1215 to 1230Mhz, so it never goes over 1200Mhz, just saying...... its still alive :D

Caporegime
OP
Ahah.... yeah, I never push my GPU's to the point where i'm hypnotised by the freaky lightshow on my screen just to gain a few extra points in Heaven Valley :p

On my GPU that begins at around 1215 to 1230Mhz, so it never goes over 1200Mhz, just saying...... its still alive :D

I had a feeling something was wrong a day or two before hand as i was getting crashes and artifacting in fifa 2013 at stock clocks (1010/1375). Next morning, nothing. A whole host of over priced 680 cards took a deep breath after the gpu coroner left the scene. :p

Suspended
I had a feeling something was wrong a day or two before hand as i was getting crashes and artifacting in fifa 2013 at stock clocks (1010/1375). Next morning, nothing. A whole host of over priced 680 cards took a deep breath after the gpu coroner left the scene. :p

Don't worry, you can get a fresh slayer to get GTX 770's and quite possibly GTX 780's trembling around September / October time. ;)

A pair of 7950's should cover the cost of an 8970.

I'll keep the rooks and knights covered by getting myself a lower high end Green slayer.

Caporegime
OP
Don't worry, you can get a fresh slayer to get GTX 770's and quite possibly GTX 780's trembling around September / October time. ;)

I'll keep the rooks and knights covered by getting myself a lower higher end Green slayer.

Its gonna need to beat a titan before ill even consider it. Very happy with the performance from 7950 crossfire and this is before the new drivers, so we'll see.

Soldato

I'll keep the rooks and knights covered by getting myself a lower high end Green slayer.

Its gonna need to beat a titan before ill even consider it. Very happy with the performance from 7950 crossfire and this is before the new drivers, so we'll see.

Interesting times ahead :cool:

Caporegime

Maybe the drivers killed the card? :p

Suspended

I haven't used dual GPU since my 9600 GT SLI.

I think if I am going to do CF it will be 7950's, if your going to do something like that it seems to me there is no point really with anything less, even though a pair of 7870's will beat a 7970, may even match a GTX 780, the 7950 is so much more GPU for not much more money and just built for CF.

I was curious about Tahiti LE, its a very nice GPU, no regrets. But time to move on to better things, I do want the new tech when it gets here.
But if i'm not impressed i'll pick up a cheap 7950...or two :)

Caporegime
OP
I haven't used dual GPU since my 9600 GT SLI.

I think if I am going to do CF it will be 7950's, if your going to do something like that it seems to me there is no point really with anything less, even though a pair of 7870's will beat a 7970, may even match a GTX 780, the 7950 is so much more GPU for not much more money and just built for CF.

I was curious about Tahiti LE, its a very nice GPU, no regrets. But time to move on to better things, I do want the new tech when it gets here.
But if i'm not impressed i'll pick up a cheap 7950...or two :)

I'm actually fairly experienced with crossfire, had 1900xtx x2 and x1950xtx x2 and 2900xt x2. However i was a noob back then so wouldn't surprise me if i was using old drivers most of the time. :o

Its come a long way since then tbf. Can't wait to see what the new drivers can do. Smoother performance or more fps sounds like a choice that every multi gpu user wants.

Oh no, Matt defo killed it with all that tinkering :D

:o :D

Suspended
This CF driver thing has *****ed my interest in dual GPU again, not that I ever though there was anything ever wrong with it, that was never the reason. It was just sort of a norm....

Its just all this talk of stuttering and frame pacing has got me seeing it as an interesting toy again.

A bit like RadeonPro, its extensive, because of that its complicated, does a mass of wonderful things, for an individual they find that 90% of it is of no real use to them while everyone finds something in it that is useful.
and besides that, there is so much interesting stuff to play with, you can get BF3 to look like Border Lands 2. how cool is that? that bit is useless to me. But fun. while brightening up the washed-out colour in BF3 is very useful.

Last edited:
Soldato
This CF driver thing has *****ed my interest in dual GPU again, not that I ever though there was anything ever wrong with it, that was never the reason. It was just sort of a norm....

Its just all this talk of stuttering and frame pacing has got me seeing it as an interesting toy again.

A bit like RadeonPro, its extensive, because of that its complicated, does a mass of wonderful things, for an individual they find that 90% of it is of no real use to them while everyone finds something in it that is useful.
and besides that, there is so much interesting stuff to play with, you can get BF3 to look like Border Lands 2. how cool is that? that bit is useless to me. But fun. while brightening up the washed-out colour in BF3 is very useful.

The problems of CF are massively overstated but it's undeniable that they exist for some. It's probably a bit of user problems chucked in as well as genuine issues. Fishing out the actual genuine issue is a minefield. One which I'm staying well away from from. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom