• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7990 Custom Bios - Remove Throttling

OcUK Staff
Thanks Gibbo, this is my bios. :cool:

I found on my 7990 at stock (1000/1500) and with power limit at +50% i was getting 700 hash per core or just under. So overall i was getting 1400 hash or just under. Voltage was around 1.150v i think.

I am using afterburner, can still only select +20 on power though. Got the much higher 1200MHz and 1700Mhz clock speeds though, which the card seems to do without issue. :)

I am at 1150mv, 1040MHz core, 1500 RAM, getting around 690 hash per core, which shall do.

Heaven went score increased by 15FPS just with this BIOS, which makes it quite clear GPU2 was throttling which I could also see it doing previously, now it does not throttle and temps are below 80c.

What is the ideal max temp per GPU on 7990 or the point where it would normally throttle please?

Caporegime
OP
I am using afterburner, can still only select +20 on power though. Got the much higher 1200MHz and 1700Mhz clock speeds though, which the card seems to do without issue. :)

I am at 1150mv, 1040MHz core, 1500 RAM, getting around 690 hash per core, which shall do.

Heaven went score increased by 15FPS just with this BIOS, which makes it quite clear GPU2 was throttling which I could also see it doing previously, now it does not throttle and temps are below 80c.

What is the ideal max temp per GPU on 7990 or the point where it would normally throttle please?

7990 should be ok up to 94c. At 95c the fans kick in loud and throttling begins somewhere between 95-100C. I find sometimes with mining less is more. Sometimes it can be better to run stock or close to it to get the best hash rate. Experiment with your clocks and if you get close to 700 per gpu id call it a day and settle for that.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Got each core upto 720 hash now and the card running nice and cool:-

o4uw.jpg

ks74.jpg

Miner settings are:-
8192 script size
vectors: 1
GPU Threads: 2
worksize: 256
intensity: 13

Closing onto 1500 hash from a single card, NICE! :D

Caporegime
OP
Nice work. As you can see sometimes you need to lower clocks a bit to get a better hash. Its strange how it works. I only mined for a couple of weeks before i lost interest though.

Man of Honour
Well for the first time i have seen my 7990 throttle. Played Tomb Raider for the first time, everything maxed out except the hair. Hit 100C and throttled...nothing else so far including the likes of Far Cry 3 have even got it above 90C. Impressive :eek:

Associate
HI there

I've just purchased myself a HD 7990. :)
Just flashed this none throttle BIOS, scores in Heaven are up quite a lot, so its a good BIOS.

Gibbo how come you got into the 7990 now,what do you think of the performance compared to 290/290x as I've been debating on selling my 7990 to get a couple of 290's or 290x's but can't seem to do it.

Associate
first off all - really good stuff with your bios LtMatt. I found this tread by accident but I'm really happy with how this worked well. Most games run smoother and better.

I have one question though - when I max out all settings in BF4 both cores work 100% and with 1920/1080 resolution I am getting stable 40-60fps (including resolution scale to 200). but when I want increase fps amount and drop resolution scale to 100 fps goes only up to 120 with average 80 and the usage for cores looks very sketchy like on the picture below. The same story is with Arma 3. will you be able to tell why core aren't 100% used? I have i5 4670K overclocked to 4.6GHz 1.27V 8GB ram and MSI Mpower Z87 MB.
zEsKNbS

Caporegime
OP
first off all - really good stuff with your bios LtMatt. I found this tread by accident but I'm really happy with how this worked well. Most games run smoother and better.

I have one question though - when I max out all settings in BF4 both cores work 100% and with 1920/1080 resolution I am getting stable 40-60fps (including resolution scale to 200). but when I want increase fps amount and drop resolution scale to 100 fps goes only up to 120 with average 80 and the usage for cores looks very sketchy like on the picture below. The same story is with Arma 3. will you be able to tell why core aren't 100% used? I have i5 4670K overclocked to 4.6GHz 1.27V 8GB ram and MSI Mpower Z87 MB.
zEsKNbS

You're cpu bottlenecked a bit in BF4 using DX11. Mantle will help with this in BF4 so standby for that.

Soldato
Funny about the bottlenecks... I'm running the graph and my GPU (green) is high compared to my CPU (yellow) which is way down. Now, from BF3 days I remember this as showing that the GPU is the bottle neck in the system which clearly isn't the case... it's surely CPU bottlenecking which then may cause GPU problems.

May update my MSI and GIGABYTE 7990's tonight if I have time and see what's what... my temps max out around 95% with both running flat out after about 5 minutes say in heaven. Thing is, because I can't get Afterburner to show like it used to on screen the GPU usuage etc... I can't tell if anything is throttling :(

Caporegime
OP
Your green line is higher because you have two gpu's so in the performance overlay your gpu rendering time is multiplied by two. Check this thread on how to setup afterburner overlays. Its important to use the latest beta of afterburner as well, which is beta 18.

Associate
Not sure if it's 14.1 driver or because I installed Win 8.1 I managed to get a massive fps gain. At the moment BF4 runs sometimes better on DX11 sometimes on mantle. Definitely on mantle I'm getting screen freezes for fracture of seconds but at the same map it can hit 200fps which is max for this game while on dx11 it keeps more constant number. I hope they soon iron this out. At the moment I can run BF4 only in mantle mode as it keeps crashing every 5 seconds on dx11. The card itself runs almost all the time 100%. Once I put it in less aggressive profile with power limit on 0 and every couple of seconds clock was dropping down then was coming back to normal state. When I set it around +20 it settled down.

Associate
@pugheaven - yes it's 7990. here's the proof
on1zFAS

as far as I know if a card isn't compatible with mantle you won't have an option to change to mantle. Star swarm in both modes uses only one gpu. Just wonder how Thief will work?

To check if you can enable mantle mode get one of your cards out and see you can change it?

Associate
Hi Matt

I have just flashed your bios and it works great! Finally my GPU does not jump from 30% -100% all the time.
I have done a 3d mark score, it shows a 3% increase in performance. (will upload the link later)

However I have experienced a few blue screens / gone frozen, dont know whether it is because I have activated the XMP mode (my ram speed drop from 800 mhz to 667) or due to the voltage @1.2v is a bit too high for stock clock. I will try to lower the voltage to 1.15v and see what will happen.

Thanks again!

Caporegime
OP
Hi Matt

I have just flashed your bios and it works great! Finally my GPU does not jump from 30% -100% all the time.
I have done a 3d mark score, it shows a 3% increase in performance. (will upload the link later)

However I have experienced a few blue screens / gone frozen, dont know whether it is because I have activated the XMP mode (my ram speed drop from 800 mhz to 667) or due to the voltage @1.2v is a bit too high for stock clock. I will try to lower the voltage to 1.15v and see what will happen.

Thanks again!

Good to hear. BSOD will be nothing to do with the bios though, all the bios does is increase the cards low TDP and remove the boost part of the bios. Nothing else is changed so any system instability will be as a result of something else.

Back
Top Bottom