8 PACK MEMORY RANGE GROWING: SAY HELLO TO 8 PACK RIPPED EDITION & 32GB KITS!!!

Soldato
What case and fans do you have and what temps does the 3090FE hit?
My 3080 FE never goes over 66c. My case isnt expensive, Phanteks with 2 noctua 140mm intake fans and 1 exhaust noctua. All 3 are locked at around 42% (700-750RPM) so to keep noise down.
Case temps are always low

That's a similar setup to mine, I have a Fractal case in an open configuration with the same fan layout and a Dark Rock Pro cooler. (3090FE is too long to use the standard layout!). The 3090 is undervolted and never gets much above 65 degrees, even under full load. Fans rarely ever ramp up to where they're audible.
So I'd be surprised if my RAM was getting excessively hot.

Soldato
Well, my RAM RMA has been tested and found to be faulty. It's going to be sent back to the manufacturer so we'll see how long it takes to be replaced or refunded. Could take up to 28 days. Glad I bought some new RAM in the mean time.

Soldato
What case and fans do you have and what temps does the 3090FE hit?
My 3080 FE never goes over 66c. My case isnt expensive, Phanteks with 2 noctua 140mm intake fans and 1 exhaust noctua. All 3 are locked at around 42% (700-750RPM) so to keep noise down.
Case temps are always low

Card itself doesn't get hot its too efficient at removing it - into the case. Its everything around that gets hot and during a gaming session its not an issue when browsing etc. Putting a hand above the the top of the case where the fans are thats a lot of heat blowing the only thing comparable was a 4870x2 I used to own. Its not really an issue at this time of year but when the weather warms up then it becomes uncomfortable. The memory sticks lie directly above the second i.e. upwards facing fan on the FE

Soldato
Well, my RAM RMA has been tested and found to be faulty. It's going to be sent back to the manufacturer so we'll see how long it takes to be replaced or refunded. Could take up to 28 days. Glad I bought some new RAM in the mean time.
Good stuff :)

Card itself doesn't get hot its too efficient at removing it - into the case. Its everything around that gets hot and during a gaming session its not an issue when browsing etc. Putting a hand above the the top of the case where the fans are thats a lot of heat blowing the only thing comparable was a 4870x2 I used to own. Its not really an issue at this time of year but when the weather warms up then it becomes uncomfortable. The memory sticks lie directly above the second i.e. upwards facing fan on the FE

It could be that that's made the RAM deteriorate. Even when my 3080 is at full load, the RAM modules which are above the 3080 fan are only warm to the touch. I remember reading RAM starts to error/fail when it hits 40c+, maybe get a cheap thermal sensor (I have an Etekcity infrared thermometer) point it at the inner RAM stick closest to the CPU, at the base of the RAM below the RAM headsink and see how hot it is at idle / load and during gaming when the 3090 is in use. I tried some other RAM that had a temp sensor and compared to measuring with the infrared sensor it was 2-3c cooler on the built in RAM sensor.

You might have said but what case and fans do you have other than the 12cm case can over the RAM?

You need to get rid of all that case heat and a 12cm fan blowing over the RAM doesnt do that, it'll just circulate it

Soldato
Kudos to OCUK, as they have just despatched some replacement RAM. I thought this would take much longer. Nice!
Now to see if I can get 4 of these working together as I already bought some to keep my PC going.

Soldato
Darn, I can't get the four sticks of RAM to work together at 3600 1.35v which is their rated speed and voltage. Three beeps memory error then a long reboot process while the bios works out a set of stable timings. Speed drops down to 2400 or even less which is no good.
I can't return the replacement RAM as faulty, as it works fine on its own. :(
These are two identical kits BTW.
Guess I'll be selling it.

Caporegime
Darn, I can't get the four sticks of RAM to work together at 3600 1.35v which is their rated speed and voltage. Three beeps memory error then a long reboot process while the bios works out a set of stable timings. Speed drops down to 2400 or even less which is no good.
I can't return the replacement RAM as faulty, as it works fine on its own. :(
These are two identical kits BTW.
Guess I'll be selling it.

What's your CPU/mobo?

Soldato
I'm wondering if it's worth updating to the latest bios, as I'm a few revisions behind. I don't tend to update though unless it's necessary.

Edit: Users are saying that the latest bios has loads of issues. I could still upgrade to F35 though, as that's stable.

Last edited:
Associate
@Ravenger 4 sticks of dual rank at 3600 speeds is pretty hard to run. G. Skill has a similar kit here to what you are trying to run: https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/326/1562839857/F4-3600C16Q-64GTZN-QVL

The Aorus Elite isn't listed for 3600 4 stick but it is listed for 3200 speed: https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/326/1562838710/F4-3200C14Q-64GTZN-QVL

Likely a board issue. If you want to see, set timings to 14-14-14-34 with 3200 speed 1.35v and you should atleast post now.

Can't you just return the RAM you ordered as a change of mind/explain the situation? You'll have to pay postage as it's a change of mind order but you are well within your rights and within the 14 day return window.

Yes stay away from latest BIOS especially if your system is stable. Last good BIOS feature 1.2.0.3c and anything after this is really hit or miss for 0 benefit.

Soldato
@GregI Thanks for the info!

The problem is one of my own making, so I'm reluctant to just send back a set of RAM as a 'change of mind' thing, especially as OCUK were so fast to replace the original set.

I'll probably just sell it or keep it for my daughter for her next upgrade. Makes me wish I'd bought the 32GB pack, but lesson learned!

The alternative is to keep it and let it clock down and see how that affects the overall PC speed. The difference may be marginal.

Associate
@GregIThe problem is one of my own making, so I'm reluctant to just send back a set of RAM as a 'change of mind' thing, especially as OCUK were so fast to replace the original set.

Don't worry I think they will be fine financial wise after selling 3080s last year for £1,500+ ;)

Good customer service isn't a reason to not exercise your consumer rights but ofcourse it's totally upto you.

Associate
So I I've tried abit of ram overclocking on/off for a abit now - keep getting frustrated and reverting to xmp, after some more reading this is my latest attempt at 3800mhz (anything over 1900fclk will spit out a lot of whea 19)

vdimm didn't show up but I'm running at 1.52v

I cant seem to lower anything else without getting an error in dram calculator or just not posting, I haven't stressed this just yet - I lowered my timings one at a time and checked for errors in dram calculator, if I got any errors I would up that timing again

Soldato
Not sure how I get this to run @ 3600 with my board/cpu, it just defaults back to 3200. Gigabyte Aorus Master / 8700k @ 4.9ghz

XMP enabled
RAM frequency manually set to 3600
DRAM 4.5
VCCIO 1.25
VCCSA 1.25
14-14-14-28 280 2T

I did get it once to run at 3600 with loose timings, but I thought it was capable running at the above

Soldato
Not sure how I get this to run @ 3600 with my board/cpu, it just defaults back to 3200. Gigabyte Aorus Master / 8700k @ 4.9ghz

XMP enabled
RAM frequency manually set to 3600
DRAM 4.5
VCCIO 1.25
VCCSA 1.25
14-14-14-28 280 2T

I did get it once to run at 3600 with loose timings, but I thought it was capable running at the above
XMP is CL16, not 14. Have you tried it at XMP timings? - 3600 16-16-16-38 1T

Soldato
Yeh so it boots at 3600 XMP enabled, everything auto. But it auto's CR to 2T, manually setting it to 1T it boots into 3200. Memory controller might not be capable, maybe it might work with tweaking volts etc

Soldato
Yeh so it boots at 3600 XMP enabled, everything auto. But it auto's CR to 2T, manually setting it to 1T it boots into 3200. Memory controller might not be capable, maybe it might work with tweaking volts etc
Have you updated bios on the aorus master? XMP certainly shouldnt drop to 2T.
You ciuld try c16 3600 GDM instead of 1T / 2T but i wouldnt be happy with that.
Have you tried other RAM to see if it works at XMP? / Had issues with ither RAM?

Associate
Any single RAM kit is only ever validated for 2T. There's way too many variables at hand to do anything else or the RMA rate would just be ridiculous.

I don't think there are much Intel IMC that could do 3600 1T. 1T is just a relic of the past at this point. It never makes sense to actually look at. Sure as you found out you can probably get away with 3200 1T at the borderline stable limit but then every benchmark is just going to be inferior since 2T allows you to dramatically up the frequency.

Soldato
Any single RAM kit is only ever validated for 2T. There's way too many variables at hand to do anything else or the RMA rate would just be ridiculous.

I don't think there are much Intel IMC that could do 3600 1T. 1T is just a relic of the past at this point. It never makes sense to actually look at. Sure as you found out you can probably get away with 3200 1T at the borderline stable limit but then every benchmark is just going to be inferior since 2T allows you to dramatically up the frequency.

Really, didnt know that. All I know is when i've set XMP on different RAM them exported the XMP timings with DRAM Calc for Ryzen, they have been command rate 1T with GDM disabled.

I (maybe wrongly) presumed that when any RAM on sale said 'CAS 14-15-15-35 Timings, 1.40-1.50v VDIMM' it was 1T instead of 1T GDM or 2T. Why would you buy something like this 'F4-3800C14D-16GTZN' only for it to be 2T and be more likely to do 3800 C16 1T?

Back
Top Bottom