8K TV any one?

Soldato
I consider myself a bit of a tech geek and I've literally just bought my first 55" 4k TV this week (Samsung 55NU8000). Mainly fancied it for using with my Playstation 4 pro and gaming as my current model was 12 years old so I fancied something larger than 40" with 4k/HDR support.

I wasn't going to bother replacing it actually but I've found myself spending most of my time these days gaming on console so it seems like a better investment than putting it towards PC hardware.

Won't be going 8k for a very long time! Is there actually any 8k content available yet?

Last edited:
Soldato
Have the 75 inch version of the Samsung on order. Delivery expected in about a week.
where are you getting it then ? , neither John Lewis/Richer seem to be shipping - would be interesting to see one in the flesh with a high res picture

Soldato
I consider myself a bit of a tech geek and I've literally just bought my first 55" 4k TV this week (Samsung 55NU8000). Mainly fancied it for using with my Playstation 4 pro and gaming as my current model was 12 years old so I fancied something larger than 40" with 4k/HDR support.

I wasn't going to bother replacing it actually but I've found myself spending most of my time these days gaming on console so it seems like a better investment than putting it towards PC hardware.

Won't be going 8k for a very long time! Is there actually any 8k content available yet?

Games are 8K content. Of course, very expensive hobby that way considering the TV cost + the GPUs required. But damn if it doesn't look spectacular!

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
where are you getting it then ? , neither John Lewis/Richer seem to be shipping - would be interesting to see one in the flesh with a high res picture

Richer sounds. Literally the first one. They received the 75's on Friday and dispatched it straight away to me. Will have it today and post some impressions after iv had a little time with it. Trying to actually find some 8K clips I can stick on a USB to watch and see what native 8K is like but there hard to find.

Soldato
Richer sounds. Literally the first one. They received the 75's on Friday and dispatched it straight away to me. Will have it today and post some impressions after iv had a little time with it. Trying to actually find some 8K clips I can stick on a USB to watch and see what native 8K is like but there hard to find.

I understand the integrated youtube player can't play 8K videos, but can you try watching youtube 8K from PC & how does it look? e.g. check this one

Soldato
I'd like to see 8K in the flesh but with 4K only just becoming reasonably common in terms of content I don't think I could justify being an early adopter when the price is so high and better TVs will come out so soon.

I got an LG OLED and that blew my mind coming from my old Samsung, helps that it's the wallpaper model so it looks incredible even turned off. Not sure the missus would be impressed if I went back to a "thick" TV now as even she thinks it looks good.

Soldato
Well after a lot of pain trying to mount a 75 inch model and for some reason it didn't have a protective sheet over the screen which is crazy for a TV of this price iv managed to clean all the fingerprints off and have a look what it can do. The 4000+ nits of brightness is insane. From what I can see though you only get it that bright in Dynamic/Standard mode. Movie mode while still very bright isn't as bright. The only Native 8K content iv looked at is the inbuilt demo you get by switching the set into Store mode. Its crazy how close you can get to native 8K material and still look pin sharp. Upscaling 4K also looks stunning. Watched Blade Runner 2049 last night and you can see the extra clarity added by the 8K upscaling. Add to that the extremely brightness and HDR looked stunning.

Caporegime
An old ST30 picked up for £550 seven years ago (think it was open box clearance). Was an open box bargain as I have never had a single issue with it. Saying that my brothers 4K OLED looks gorgeous but mine still does the job for now.

think i paid around £799 for my GT50 which was brand new with 5 years warranty. extra £250 for new, 5 years warranty and 2 x 3d glasses. it's now my bedroom tv.

i'm thinking of going OLED in 2022 most likely 65 inch panel as i reckon i'll get one for around a grand then.

V F

V F

Soldato
think i paid around £799 for my GT50 which was brand new with 5 years warranty. extra £250 for new, 5 years warranty and 2 x 3d glasses. it's now my bedroom tv.

i'm thinking of going OLED in 2022 most likely 65 inch panel as i reckon i'll get one for around a grand then.

See that is the funny thing about these warranties. Not funny what happened, the fact they can't seem to honour the parts during the warranty duration. Considering the price premium of a top flagship model. I remember so many people encountering issues with the ZT models, while it was still in warranty 3 - 4 years down the line with those 5 year warranties. Even Panasonic was unable to supply the parts for them.

There were a lot of crazy stories. One customer had to wait on a new panel for many months without the tv in their house, then when it arrived to be repaired they messed up the panel installing it because it was the bonded glass to screen. They somehow screwed up installing it. So after many months of waiting and no other panel parts, the customer had to be refunded the money from Panasonic for the TV.

Others were mainboards, HDMI boards etc due to heat related issues. One of the biggest issues sadly with the obsession of the masses wanting thinner panels. At least with the Kuro's they were thick but they weren't suffering the surface area issues like the Panasonic's from 2012/13. Hot spots were a big problem.

Imagine that feeling, splurging £2,600 - £3,200 for a 60"/65" ZT to then have it fail during warranty years to then not have it repaired. It must be gutting.

Soldato
Well after a lot of pain trying to mount a 75 inch model and for some reason it didn't have a ... Watched Blade Runner 2049 last night and you can see the extra clarity added by the 8K upscaling. Add to that the extremely brightness and HDR looked stunning.
nice, do you have plans for calibration..

These must be nice for showing shots from a dslr too, or get some high res captures of gallery paintings.

but they weren't suffering the surface area issues like the Panasonic's from 2012/13. Hot spots were a big problem.
yes- one bedroom tv is an old philips lcd ips ... display cut out when warmed up, changed t-con board, but now has to have back off , to keep it working/cool

Soldato
[
I understood hybrid humans part adobe photoshop part human, are already a thing on facebook, so they deploy them on 8K too
]

GAC

GAC

Soldato
would love an 8k telly, but seeing as the majority of broadcasters struggle with a 720p/1080i signal i aint holding my breath. whens the bbc due to let loose with 4k again hahahaha

Associate
Got a chance to have a close look at the new Samsung 8k at a tradeshow recently; yes its good, however they had a 75" 8k side by side with a 75" 4k and from 6-8ft away the difference is barely noticeable.

From real close you can tell, but from average viewing distance is not worth the cost difference at the moment IMO

Back
Top Bottom