8K TV any one?

Permabanned
But why would events like that want an 8K telle when they could get something probably 5 times or more bigger for less of a cost to provide better entertainment?? Imagine an 85" 8K telle at the other side of a football pitch and promoting the 8k. It'd look like any old screen maybe a bit brighter :p

Clubs, restaurants, exhibition halls, smaller sports events :p

As for the less of a cost, simply forget it.
A 77-incher LG OLED77W8 4K costs over €15,000.

I’m sorry......what ?????? Less than 40% ???? I’ll be amazed if it’s 5%

Everyone and their dog has nowadays a 4K TV at home.
For monitors, perhaps you are right, somehow.

Soldato

Lol....get your facts straight.... dvd is still the major disc format.... 4K TVs have only become cheap the last 2 years.... factor that into how long TVs last and world population on TVs... there are millions still using crt ......YOUR WRONG

Soldato
I’m sorry......what ?????? Less than 40% ???? I’ll be amazed if it’s 5%
let's have some facts .. suprisingly seems to be 30% - ~8million 4k sets sold and ~24 million households with >1 tvs'
https://www.barb.co.uk/tv-landscape-reports/tracker-number-tvs/
https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017/06/16/research-europe-progressing-in-4k-tv/
... so - I am missing out
(yes maybe the 4k tvs are unreliable and are not all still in circulation ?;) and people have multiple 4k sets)

edit: after thought - they're so ubiquitousthey will be in the uk cost of living - supermarket basket soon, like mobile phone contracts.

Last edited:
Caporegime

No they don't.

The majority of people buy a new tv once every 8-15 years, basically when the old one breaks. I'm the only in my team at work who has a 4k tv. Only one out of all my friends too. The only reason why I have one is none of my 1080p's would fit in my living room. So I had to stick them in the games room and bed room instead. My living room has a hidden unit basically a false wall where the tv hides. So it can only fit a certain size of tv, so I had to buy a new one so got a 4K obviously.

It will be about 5-10 years before 50-75% of people have 4K tv's.

Soldato
:confused: Look at the facts - most households have >=2 tv's ,

4k tv sales total so far 8mil, that corresponds to 30% of tv households
there are some 40million tv's in total circulation
6 million total sold a year, so, yes, typical ~ 7 years total life, (40/6)

but, since households typically have >=2 tv's, they are handing them down rooms, and will be buying a new one every 3-4 years - pipelining

next year/2019 most of the 6 million sold will be 4k, so 8+6 = 14million in circulation so, >50% of homes will have 4k. ie 1 in 2.

Soldato
4k is more common now for sure. My mum has one for example. Not because she wanted 4k, but because any panel of a decent size is 4k these days. 8k will be nice for big panels and should be welcomed with open arms. It will obviously take a while, but 80" - 100"+ panels are going to happen, and I'd rather it happens asap :D

Caporegime
:confused: Look at the facts - most households have >=2 tv's ,

4k tv sales total so far 8mil, that corresponds to 30% of tv households
there are some 40million tv's in total circulation
6 million total sold a year, so, yes, typical ~ 7 years total life, (40/6)

but, since households typically have >=2 tv's, they are handing them down rooms, and will be buying a new one every 3-4 years - pipelining

next year/2019 most of the 6 million sold will be 4k, so 8+6 = 14million in circulation so, >50% of homes will have 4k. ie 1 in 2.

7 years is a very short life span IMO. also just vecause more will be sold next year doesn't mean more homes will have them.

it's the same as nerds on here who buy a new GPU, CPU and mobo every year. they usually sell the old one on however with tv's they are usually handed down to another room.

put it this way my mate has bought like 6-7 different 4k tv's in the past 2-3 years.

4k is a long long way from being anywhere near 50% of homes. no way is it going to be next year.

also 40 million total circulation seems low. a lot of business's, workplaces, pub's, etc buy tv's too. so not all tv's sold are going into homes.

V F

V F

Soldato

No they don't.

The majority of people buy a new tv once every 8-15 years, basically when the old one breaks. I'm the only in my team at work who has a 4k tv. Only one out of all my friends too. The only reason why I have one is none of my 1080p's would fit in my living room. So I had to stick them in the games room and bed room instead. My living room has a hidden unit basically a false wall where the tv hides. So it can only fit a certain size of tv, so I had to buy a new one so got a 4K obviously.

It will be about 5-10 years before 50-75% of people have 4K tv's.

I have a dog and don't have a 4K TV. My last TV from 2008 broke down 3 - 4 months ago. So I decided to go for 55" 1080p OLED instead of 4K, as I don't need 4K. While the 50" Panasonic VT50 is kept for serious viewing.

Even Sky 4K/UHD right now is where Sky HD was in 2007. Only a certain amount of channels/airing. Until it becomes more widespread I'll jump ship. I'm more than happy with Plasma and OLED.

Caporegime
I have a dog and don't have a 4K TV. My last TV from 2008 broke down 3 - 4 months ago. So I decided to go for 55" 1080p OLED instead of 4K, as I don't need 4K. While the 50" Panasonic VT50 is kept for serious viewing.

Even Sky 4K/UHD right now is where Sky HD was in 2007. Only a certain amount of channels/airing. Until it becomes more widespread I'll jump ship. I'm more than happy with Plasma and OLED.

interesting on the 1080P oled was that one of the first models? i went out of the loop after the ZT series (kuro killer plasmas) was introduced.

how much are they roughly now second hand? the 1080p OLED's

V F

V F

Soldato
Not sure. I got it new on one of Amazon's flash sale for £8xx something.

https://www.lg.com/za/tvs/lg-55EG9A7V

People were complaining about poor response time for console gaming yet I'm having no issues with fighting games on it. No delays that I'm feeling.

I originally had my eye set on the ZT back then. It was one heck of a TV. Then a lot of problems people reporting on it. Glass/panel separation with heat. Hot spots on the panel. There were lots of these issues on AVSforum. :/

Last edited:
Caporegime
With high definition video you're going to have diminishing returns anyway, standard definition to 720P was gobsmacking at the time, 1080P less so but an improvement nonetheless and it's the same kind of story with 4K. I think the most striking improvement with 4K comes from the additions of HDR and wider colour gamut.

Caporegime
You won’t believe it will look much better until you see it in person. I was the same with 4K. Thought it would not be that impressive, just a tweak, until I saw it in person at a curry’s and was blown away.

Permabanned
there are millions still using crt

Also, there are billions still living in villages with primary activities around agriculture :D

You won’t believe it will look much better until you see it in person. I was the same with 4K. Thought it would not be that impressive, just a tweak, until I saw it in person at a curry’s and was blown away.

This brings back: https://www.digitaltrends.com/tv-reviews/samsung-q900-series-qn85q900raf-review/

Don't hate. Samsung's first 8K TV dazzles even without 8K content

Permabanned
You quoted it... and it’s blatantly wrong :D

Write them, as I said, if you have a problem. https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20180222PD202.html

AU Optronics (AUO) will begin to ship 8K TV panels in sizes ranging from 65- to 85-inch in the first half of 2018, while also ramping up shipments of all-screen displays for handset applications, according to Liao Wei-lun, president of AUO's video products business group.
Demand for 4K TV panels will also remain strong in 2018 as the penetration of 4K TVs is expected to hike to over 40% in 2018, from 30% a year earlier, with 4K displays becoming a standard for 50-inch and larger TV products in the year, Liao added.

Maybe it is wrong and the current sales market share for 4K TV is well above 60-70%, with overall penetration 40-45% in the households.

Soldato
it's consistant too, with the data i linked

and, as i was going to reply
put it this way my mate has bought like 6-7 different 4k tv's in the past 2-3 years.
also consistant with the facts ie. one person has bought the 4k tv's for another 6 mates to get the average penetration.

Back
Top Bottom