• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8Packs no BS testing Intel 8700K and Z370 with Delid 5ghz and above available from OCUK.

Associate
My chip did exactly the same thing while running AVX instructions, when my clock wasn't stable. I'd gone way past the chip's bin, to be fair, and was seeing how far I could push it. If your chip is doing this at the rated settings @hexblitz86 I'd send a web note to OcUK and ask Ian/8Pack whether the chip needs exchanging or if he can offer any advice to get it stable.
Ok yeah i think I might have to atleast just to get some help

OcUK Staff
OP
Set stock Memory ie 2133
Set 1.375v on Asus mb
No llc
50 multi
2 avx offset
Cache 42 min and max
Current cap 140%

Why do you need to run prime?? You play prime?? Prime 26.6 if you insist. Otherwise real bench is fine....

Soldato
Chips can also power throttle (labelled TDP throttle in intel XTU app).

If it has really high vcore like 1.4v then you could easily be hitting the power limit set in the bios.

Intel's XTU app lets you adjust the limit live in the OS so can experiment.

Associate
Hi all,

Just spoke with a very helpful guy over the phone from OverClockers.

I bought the following bundle few days ago:

8Pack Elite Tier Overclocked i7 8700K @ 5.00GHz Gaming Bundle
BU-00W-8P

Asus ROG Maximus X Hero Intel Z370 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i7-8700K Pre-Binned 5.1Ghz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor
OEMTeam Group Dark Pro "8Pack Edition" 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C16 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black

With the Bios update unfortunately all the settings went back to the default (3.7 GHZ etc), looking for help to get back the 8pack settings please !!!

Associate
Hi all,

Just spoke with a very helpful guy over the phone from OverClockers.

I bought the following bundle few days ago:

8Pack Elite Tier Overclocked i7 8700K @ 5.00GHz Gaming Bundle
BU-00W-8P

Asus ROG Maximus X Hero Intel Z370 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i7-8700K Pre-Binned 5.1Ghz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor
OEMTeam Group Dark Pro "8Pack Edition" 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C16 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black

With the Bios update unfortunately all the settings went back to the default (3.7 GHZ etc), looking for help to get back the 8pack settings please !!!

Soldato
Apologies for dredging up an old thread, but it seems like exactly the right place to ask.

I picked up a 5.0 binned chip from OCUK a couple of weeks ago and I'm having a hard time getting it stable without overheating.

At 1.312 vcore it was "game stable" and was for a full week before I started considering stress tests - which bluescreened in a few minutes. After some tuning, it's hitting 81-82 peaks, using Prime 26.6 FFTs with:
vcore: 1.344 with spikes to 1.360
vccio: 1.1
vccsa: 1.26
cache: 45
motherboard: Asrock Taichi
cooler: Corsair H115i at full speed
ambient: 22-23C
memory: 2x16 Trident Z 3200 c14

I've had to dial the memory down to 2666 to take it out of the equation since the above is not stable with it at 3200. I'm still testing whether that resolves it, but I don't feel like I can reasonably push more volts for higher memory when it's already above 80. (Intentionally left the stress testing until the heatwave had passed!)

I was under the impression a binned delid with a 240-280 AiO should be mid 70s at the highest under stress, and that with more volts than I'm supplying... Corsair software says the coolant doesn't get above 37-38.

TLDR am I looking at an imperfect delid that needs RMAing? Is there anything else I can try to get it stable with 3200 memory and not be 80+ degrees? I'll report back again tomorrow about whether it got through a long Prime with the slower memory speeds. Would appreciate any advice meantime :)

Associate
@eddiew

Are you using liquid metal under the heatspreader or just normal thermal paste?

My 8700k takes 1.325v to be stable at 5GHz so you're in the ballpark voltagewise from the sounds of it.

Soldato
@eddiew

Are you using liquid metal under the heatspreader or just normal thermal paste?

My 8700k takes 1.325v to be stable at 5GHz so you're in the ballpark voltagewise from the sounds of it.

I don't know tbh; it's an OCUK binned delid so I assume it's been done properly.

If I'm honest, this has been a lot more faff than I had hoped it would be. Paid the binning premium so it would "just work" but it doesn't, and I use this PC for serious work so I can't afford to have instabilities in it. If it bluescreens while I'm saving a big image I'll lose a day's work :( If I can settle it at 5ghz and 3000 memory I'll live with it, but I've sunk a ton of money into this kit and I kind of want it to run to spec...

Associate
Right, didn't know they did the liquid metal for you as well. In that case that's probably fine.

The heat might be due to screwing your AIO heatsink in too tightly and ever so slightly bending it away from contact with the heatspreader. Might be worth unscrewing it again screwing it back on again to finger tightness and see if that helps.

Soldato
Right, didn't know they did the liquid metal for you as well. In that case that's probably fine.

The heat might be due to screwing your AIO heatsink in too tightly and ever so slightly bending it away from contact with the heatspreader. Might be worth unscrewing it again screwing it back on again to finger tightness and see if that helps.

There's no obvious amount of loosening I can do with the screws... they've hit a hard stop, but half a turn back and they're spinning freely.

Status update: bluescreened sometime in the last hour with the memory at 2666. Um... yeah. I do not feel this is delivering the 5.0 binned experience I was hoping for :( Guess I'm RMAing this then. Can't add volts because of the heat; either the delid isn't right or the binning is over optimistic.

Dagnabbit, I really don't want to be without my desktop while this goes on but I don't feel like I have a choice. Sooner or later this is going to bomb out during something more important >_<

*edit* Moved to fixed voltage 1.34. Cache down to 44. Memory at 2666. VCCSA reduced to 1.15 to help thermals and because that really should be more than enough at that memory speed even with 2x dual ranked. It's not worse than 4x SR. Last chance before I send this thing back. 77 degrees so far...

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
80+ who cares... Is it throttling... Then use it.. It will be high ambient and or bad mount... We are seeing these temps too binning delid 8086k in this weather.

Also the cpu might just be hot... You have ten cpus each will have different leakage and temps no matter how you delid. I have seen 18c units with 20 degrees difference with same settings before and after delid...

Run 1.375v core llc level 1. 3200c14, io 1.05 sa 1.075-1.1 easy.... Use your pc as you would normally... Check the mount if necessary..

Associate
Just looking at your voltages other than your core and something popped out, you have VCCIO at 1.1v, my mb (ASRock Z370 Extreme 4) sets that to 1.2v automatically. I would have thought your Taichi would do the same. Have you manually changed that? Perhaps give it a shot at 1.2v?

Also are you on the latest BIOS?

Soldato
80+ who cares... Is it throttling... Then use it.. It will be high ambient and or bad mount... We are seeing these temps too binning delid 8086k in this weather.

Also the cpu might just be hot... You have ten cpus each will have different leakage and temps no matter how you delid. I have seen 18c units with 20 degrees difference with same settings before and after delid...

Run 1.375v core llc level 1. 3200c14, io 1.05 sa 1.075-1.1 easy.... Use your pc as you would normally... Check the mount if necessary..

I'll try it bud, and thanks for the late night response.

The tendency for BSODing so far isn't filling me with confidence, but swapping more vcore for less vccsa/vccio only added 1-2C onto it so... cool, if it gets through the night, I'm happy. I know full well it won't game anywhere near that, I'm more concerned for stability (also a work pc) than for peak thermals :)

10 minutes in...

tto6aSy.png

Just looking at your voltages other than your core and something popped out, you have VCCIO at 1.1v, my mb (ASRock Z370 Extreme 4) sets that to 1.2v automatically. I would have thought your Taichi would do the same. Have you manually changed that? Perhaps give it a shot at 1.2v?

Also are you on the latest BIOS?

It did, but having read a few threads I concluded that 8 Pack and others were recommending lower, and from what I can tell it's a voltage for all the non-memory related pin outs and you don't need it high unless you're messing with bclk ^^; It also really jumps the temps a lot for that 0.1v - as in it was 5 degrees hotter at 1.2 :o

And yes, latest BIOS as of 2 weeks ago. First thing I did was flash it, even before I installed Windows :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Pleasantly surprised to report that it got through the night, so that was 8 hours solid :) Did peak at 85 but... nothing real will get that hot so who cares, really. Gaming it's more like 50-55 so far.

I'll knock it onto offset voltage so's it loads up to the same vcore and test again. Will also pull the cooler+backplate off and reassemble the whole affair, maybe I've done something totally ridiculous and got bad contact, or underestimated how much kryonaut it needs... Fingers crossed!

Soldato
Well I'll just wrap up by saying I got it down to 1.355v and 14 hours of Prime. Shaved 2 degrees off. I know it starts failing at 1.34 so this'll do me now - and to be fair, it's on the low end of the range listed on the front page, so exactly as advertised :) It is a little hotter than I'd hoped with a 280mm AiO, but I've disassembled and refitted the mount (I had it turned 90 degrees -_-), cleaned it all up, put on fresh Kryonaut and it's made absolutely no difference. I can't be bothered with that anymore :p

My big takeaway is that VCCIO and VCCSA are red herrings that do nothing unless you're going for blazing fast ram and bclk overclocks. But they do add a metric crapton of heat :o

Imma try to get it onto offset voltage, because I'd prefer it to idle lower if possible, but I guess it's not a major deal. Idles around 32 degrees anyway...

In other news good lord the voltage on this Asrock Taichi is stable. Set to 1.355 in the bios, never reads below 1.344 or over 1.360 from any Windows utility. Games at the lower, stresses at the higher. Possibly means the LLC is overshooting under stress tests - which is fine, because it was "game stable" at less :p Stuffing a temp probe into the VRMs suggests they're hanging around 77-80 under full Prime, and ridiculously cool while gaming. Like no problem holding a finger on the heatsink kind of cool. Very impressed with this board and glad I stumped up for one that was recommended for the job :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom