• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
So that's even worse. Although the revised spec says it now only has 56 as opposed to 64, it can only actively use 52 properly due to the crippling decision to cut the smm?

970s are binned parts. If they did not bin the silicone to 970s then they would be fully enabled 980s and sold as such.

It's not all about intentional disabling of parts, anything that cannot be made a full fat 980 part from the yield will end up being a lesser part. That's just how it works. It means nVidia can do more on their pricing and make a fabrication process feasible.

If every single part which could not meet 980 spec was thrown away, imagine how expensive they would be!

What was the fault with the card?

From day one I noted the stuttering while playing BF4 @ 1440 but was fine with WoW. So, within a week of owning it I raised a Customer Service post on the forum stating the problem and the testing I had completed to try and resolve it. Which included various driver version, Windows installs etc which never solved the fault for me.

OcUK agreed to take the Card back via Distance Selling Regs as I'd raised the CS Forum Post within time limits. However, due to being away for Christmas and most of this month, I made it clear that I would not be able to send the Card back till now.

While away, I was still reading the Forums and saw this very thread. Which made complete sense giving the stutters I was seeing in BF4.

To check that the RMA was still good. I called Customer Service this morning to confirm that they would still accept the Card back under DSR, which they said they would.

It's just now that we all can see why the Card does not function as we thought it might. I'm just lucky that I got a RMA request in before this all happened and that OcUK will honer it.

For those who feel a little let down and want to return there Cards but have to wait for nVidia to sort something out for you, my thoughts are with you.

For the guys who are happy regardless, cool. Hope you have many happy gaming hours.

I've not owned a nVidia Card since the 8800GTX and this has kinda soured going back to the Green Team and will make me think long and hard about ever buying one of their GPU's again - assuming I can stop myself from buying a GTX980 before AMD release their next greatest....

Bf4 has been pretty buggy since release, much better lately though. Never found vram to be a problem in it either. As even when running it maxed under DSR at 2560x1600 it doesn't go over 2.7gb on my gtx 780's.

Never had a problem with my 7970...

It does run much better on AMD cards, but then it is an Amd backed game. That's not to say I haven't seen AMD users who have had issues with it. I play it with guys who own cards from both vendors, ranging from the newest to ones from several generations ago. All have reported stuttering at some point.

970s are binned parts. If they did not bin the silicone to 970s then they would be fully enabled 980s and sold as such.

It's not all about intentional disabling of parts, anything that cannot be made a full fat 980 part from the yield will end up being a lesser part. That's just how it works. It means nVidia can do more on their pricing and make a fabrication process feasible.

If every single part which could not meet 980 spec was thrown away, imagine how expensive they would be!

We know that now but at the time no one knew about the impact of the smm.

What's really interesting is how the reviewers have failed so badly and literally lapped up what nvidia said despite it being impossible. But not querying it.

for example if in kepler you couldn't disable an smm without disabling the rop entirely and the cache? I only have a non technical understanding of this but what do the reviewers think was cut back on the 970 to still provide a 256bit mem interface and 56 rops and 2mb cache?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom