• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Rog Swift, a decent up to date rig and Sli 970's. I want and should be able to play my games at 2560x1440 with my 2 G1's in Sli. Yes I can still play any game but I am currently into Dying Light and I have to turn down the settings so the Vram usage does not go above 3.5GB. That's nonsense

I have submitted a rma request with a different supplier to return my gtx970 I purchased on 1st December due to this issue and explained I am having problems as I game at 1440p and am struggling with memory bandwidth. I have said I am happy to pay the extra £100 to exchange for a gtx980 so let's see what happens, I will advise on here the outcome.

Just a heads up for anyone who is actually getting no joy from their etailer...

I bought a Panasonic projector a few years back and after it continually failed due to overheating issues I asked for a refund 11 months in to my 12 month warranty.

The etailer said no - Panasonic said no.

I filed a small claims court against the etailer (no other option) - got paid full amount immediately without having to go to court.

https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim-online

I am happy to do the same again if I don't get offered an exchange or refund.

Don't be put off by all these arm chair bandits who think Nvidia should get away with this.

I have submitted a rma request with a different supplier to return my gtx970 I purchased on 1st December due to this issue and explained I am having problems as I game at 1440p and am struggling with memory bandwidth. I have said I am happy to pay the extra £100 to exchange for a gtx980 so let's see what happens, I will advise on here the outcome.

I bought both my cards from OCUK, one on the 2 Oct and the other on the 26 Sep. I don't know what to do. I'm borrowing a friends 980 for now so I can continue with Dying Light without the memory issue. Do I just buy a 980 and sell these on ebay as 2 x 970's with 3.5GB DDR5?

I bought both my cards from OCUK, one on the 2 Oct and the other on the 26 Sep. I don't know what to do. I'm borrowing a friends 980 for now so I can continue with Dying Light without the memory issue. Do I just buy a 980 and sell these on ebay as 2 x 970's with 3.5GB DDR5?

I brought my card from OCUK as well on the black Friday weekend, only been using it since Christmas.

after reading all this I want to return my card as well and I will go back to my Radeon HD 5830 as this card was the top end of my budget for a GPU. maybe ill go AMD once they release new cards and wait till then

Just a heads up for anyone who is actually getting no joy from their etailer...

I bought a Panasonic projector a few years back and after it continually failed due to overheating issues I asked for a refund 11 months in to my 12 month warranty.

The etailer said no - Panasonic said no.

I filed a small claims court against the etailer (no other option) - got paid full amount immediately without having to go to court.

https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim-online

I am happy to do the same again if I don't get offered an exchange or refund.

Don't be put off by all these arm chair bandits who think Nvidia should get away with this.

sounds good
i am of the opinion if they are unhappy with a purchase they should return
ive never had problems returning things
but im not so good on uk law or shops so :)

Am I the only one who thinks: Pc Gamer = More knowledgeable than the average gamer?

In general yes, the average PC gamer (with a decent machine) is more knowledgeable than the average console gamer (not saying the aren't geniuses on console and idiots on PC, just saying on average).

However, the average ebay user isn't that smart, I managed to sell my GTX780 the day the GTX970 launched, and make enough to buy one of my GTC970's outright.

Once you're getting up to the 970, a £260+ card, I think most of the prospective buyers are fairly clued up. It's pretty far fetched to suggest 'pretty much anybody in ebay' aren't IT savvy. I'm looking for stuff on eBay all the time, as I'm sure are many other IT professionals.

Here is my GTX970 sitting on the desktop with nothing but GPUz open:

gtx970a.gif

Here it is with the Battle.net chat/game client loaded and the OCUK forum in a web browser in the background (results are ~ the same if you use steam instead of Bnet):

gtx970.gif

Shock as a non issue blown out of all proportion turns out to be a non issue blown out of all proportion :rolleyes:

Browser with OCUK tab, Battle log tab, Origin open and TS and sidebar gadgets 63MB Vram used and you do know that some desktop resources can get swapped out from Vram hence why Alt Tabbing can be slow on some setup with some games ;)

lMQkZ6.png

Last edited:
Overheating issues would be a manufacturing fault, no?

Yeah - issue is completely different - but trying to illustrate that just because manufacturer and etailer say no to request doesn't mean the end of the matter.

Personally I think this has been missold due to the specs but I'm having other issues.

My MSI 970 Gaming is horrendous in some games due to the stutter (frame pacing issue - which I'm sure is linked to hardware issues - we'll find out soon from hardware sites retesting all these cards).

My MSI 290 Gaming which I had previously was fine in all the same games and on the same PC - I just couldn't stand the heat (literally my legs used to get really hot).

Seems like I've swapped one ****ter for another.

Do Matrox still make cards? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom