• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it is true, nVidia are in BIG trouble. I doubt they would have purposefully done this, because there is always a come back and someone always picks up on these things but that doesn't excuse the poor QC for allowing it to go out like that. That's of course if it isn't a driver fault and is in fact hardware related.

We will find out anyways and no hiding for nVidia on this.
They got away with it ok with the GTX590, but for the 970 I think they shifted far more in volume, so could become a huge issue indeed...

why has nobody noticed this months ago ??????
the trouble is this card is updated about every 3 weeks, i keep getting new drivers, maybe it's one of these downloads.

this card has a low maximum temperature, about 68 degrees and the Strix cant be overvolted very far, as such i've always thought that this card has felt gutless..it feels like Nvidia have detuned it and set its ceiling too low, it's very complicated

Well that's interesting, and if true seems obvious to me that the card has been deliberately hamstrung, and we've been blatently mis-sold a product that simply cannot do what it says on the tin. This doesn't bode well.

I find this very hard to belive. Personally it seems like a load of people being led down the garden path by listening to whoever shouts the loudest and relying on 'data' from a home made benchmark.

Jumping to conclusions a little maybe ?

I find this very hard to belive. Personally it seems like a load of people being led down the garden path by listening to whoever shouts the loudest and relying on 'data' from a home made benchmark.

I don't think its just some benchmark showing this though. It seems theres a few people complaining about this on the nVidia forums however since this thread/benchmark popped up can't say i saw many people complaining about this problem or sudden lack of performance after hitting over 3.5gb of vram.

Sure if this was happening people would have said and asked on these forums by now! Seems its been blown more out of proportion! Do we actually know it affects all 970 cards? Where is the proof? To me this seems like a rare issue however been made into something bigger than it appears.

Also don't like how certain people are taking glee on this problem affecting nVidia users seen in this thread. Sure you wouldn't be so happy if the shoe was on the other foot!?

I think people should look more closely at the GTX 980 as well. The drop in performance as the resolution goes up on these cards hints that this may not be the end of the story.

I have been saying for a very long time this sort of thing is a hardware limitation and not something a driver update can cure.

I'm confused. You say that above then you plus one this comment below.

Originally Posted by darket View Post

Not sure, will wait and see what Nvidia say first, It's giving the error on mordor, Civ5, DCS and ESO. I will check vram use on them shortly.

They are all deffo over 3gb, I can stop it happening by lowering the textures so it would explain it.

This user is running a 3930K with trifire 290s and 4930K with SLI 970s.

I'm just trying to figure this out and getting confused with the mix up of information.

SOM, everything maxed at 1080p

WXo5QE4.png

Max memory useage, 3671 on each card. Does this blow the 3.5gb max theory out of the water, or should I have seen more Vram used?

It should be higher, it should max out at 4gb and when it does go above 3.5gb there's stuttering and very noticeable frame drops in game (im not looking at a graph during the game you notice it in game play).
The cards throttle themselves above that vram usage or mine do anyway.

No input from Gibbo yet? Or do you think he is having some very interesting conversations with nVidia and their board partners right now.

probably wiping the sweat off his back if this goes pear shaped :p

nvidia will foot majority but ocuk will still lose massive amounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom