• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't seem to affect me and my Asus Strix 970 SLI setup.

Just been playing BF4 @ 4K which maxed out at 3.5GB Vram usage.
qvmb.png

No frame rate issues at all, smooth 50-60fps for 2hrs solid.

Is your card max-ing out at 3462MB VRAM, or does it go higher?

Is this noticed on just the Cryengine and UBI games? I want to test this myself and see what is what.

Not sure, will wait and see what Nvidia say first, It's giving the error on mordor, Civ5, DCS and ESO. I will check vram use on them shortly.

They are all deffo over 3gb, I can stop it happening by lowering the textures so it would explain it.

This is all I know of so far.

Would be nice to see this reproduced outside of a single synthetic test environment. Something may or may not be going on, but the major question is:

Irrespective of the test program showing lower speeds, does this have any impact on real world usage?

you guys need more ways to test
cant rely on one program

Several 970 users have reported this with games too. At OCUK and on the Nvidia forum. Not sure of all game titles though.

Not sure, will wait and see what Nvidia say first, It's giving the error on mordor, Civ5, DCS and ESO. I will check vram use on them shortly.

They are all deffo over 3gb, I can stop it happening by lowering the textures so it would explain it.

Doesn't seem to affect me and my Asus Strix 970 SLI setup.

Just been playing BF4 @ 4K which maxed out at 3.5GB Vram usage.

No frame rate issues at all, smooth 50-60fps for 2hrs solid.

same as me, in Heaven Benchmark the max was 3.505 at 1080p, it also said the same in GPU-Z

Last edited:
Is it possible the issue is actually with the benchmark and it's trying to write to memory that already occupied and so the card loses speed while switching things around maybe?

Yes, people are having a panic attack over not having 4.5GB video memory :p.

When running a non full screen application, whatever process that wishes to use video memory has to compete with whatever other processes are already using video memory, such as Aero, GPU accelerated web browsers (including HTML/CEF applications like Spotify), video players, etc.

My system on the desktop is using 436MB GPU memory, which is not released when demand is high. So if I run the same benchmark on my 780, once it hits 2550MB my bandwidth drops super low, because the card is out video memory and has to access main memory to finish the benchmark. This is not a driver bug and it is not a hardware issue.

I'd be interested to see a benchmark result from a 970 system that has released all it's allocated VRAM before running this benchmark. People just downloading the tool and running it then complaining about the resulting slow speed in the last ~500MB are only providing the expected result.

You can even see in the screenshot posted on page 1 that the 970 result has aero enabled, and the 980 result has aero disabled :o

I can see there is an issue with the amount of posters on the Geforce site and others. And to be honest, I hope it is driver related. I sympathise with those who are affected and hope there is a quick solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom