• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or a problem with the rest of your PC, this can also effect loading times when the workload gets high.

I haven't got much things running when doing this test. The cpu is an i7 with 8gb of RAM so really shouldn't be a problem. Nothing else in my system takes this long to run or cause freezing.
The cpu usage doesn't go higher than 25% when running this test, even when the freezing happens.

I haven't got much things running when doing this test. The cpu is an i7 with 8gb of RAM so really shouldn't be a problem. Nothing else in my system takes this long to run or cause freezing.
The cpu usage doesn't go higher than 25% when running this test, even when the freezing happens.

Kombustor is just a rebadge of Furmark. Not sure if you knew that but tbh? it's useless for anything other than cooking your GPU.

To investigate this properly a proper GPU memtest needs to be written. One that shoves massive chunks of memory around.

I often see i7 CPUs do odd things when it comes to upping the settings on GPUs. It is something that you need to be aware of as a possible cause of a problem.

Kombustor is just a rebadge of Furmark. Not sure if you knew that but tbh? it's useless for anything other than cooking your GPU.

To investigate this properly a proper GPU memtest needs to be written. One that shoves massive chunks of memory around.

+1

Furmark is useless.

well since this thread is about the gtx 970 I posted my findings and what I think could be used to test the issue at hand. It is pointless trying to blame an i7 or furmark until we have other gtx 970 owners testing Kombuster and confirming or rejecting what I found.

So far a Titan owner has tested and does not have the same slow loading/freezing issue I have. Any gtx 970 owners please do the test and post here.

well since this thread is about the gtx 970 I posted my findings and what I think could be used to test the issue at hand. It is pointless trying to blame an i7 or furmark until we have other gtx 970 owners testing Kombuster and confirming or rejecting what I found.

So far a Titan owner has tested and does not have the same slow loading/freezing issue I have. Any gtx 970 owners please do the test and post here.

I am not blaming an i7 at all but the rest of your system needs to be 100% when making some of the claims and drama I have seen in this thread.

If anyone posts results for anything where Furmark has been used it does tend to destroy their credibility a bit.

Proper tests need to be done and definitely not using Furmark. Until then we can only keep an open mind as to whether the 970 has a problem or not.

Nothing to be confused about

The performance of the 980s drops far more than it should if everything was working right when the resolution increases so I yes I think there is something very wrong with the hardware design of the 9 series cards.

Having said that I don't think that this homemade benchmark is working correctly as it is reporting that the cards are losing the ability to use their full memory. This is something that does not happen on my 980s, Titans or any of the other NVidia cards I own all of which have never had any problems accessing all the VRAM they came with.

Fair enough, it was confusing me due to not knowing exactly what you meant by hardware limitations. In light of what's going on atm, I misunderstood. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

As for the benchmark, I'm thinking the same. It's the game runs I'm seeing and hearing people report (only a few but still) that are making me more dubious. One question for you though: If Nvidia know there is no limitations on their cards, why isn't there confirmation of this with a detailed explanation from one of their staff?. Surely a simple thing to do wouldn't you think?. Or.... they know there is nothing wrong with their cards and are enjoying the spotlight.

hang on I will download it now

I am not blaming an i7 at all but the rest of your system needs to be 100% when making some of the claims and drama I have seen in this thread.

If anyone posts results for anything where Furmark has been used it does tend to destroy their credibility a bit.

Proper tests need to be done and definitely not using Furmark. Until then we can only keep an open mind as to whether the 970 has a problem or not.

This is no drama. It is potentially a serious bug in the hardware which needs to be investigated. Unless you have a better method of testing please let us know but I for one won't simply leave it to Nvidia to come clean if there is a problem. It is up to the community to highlight this and forward any findings to the company.
Furmark is one way of testing and we need to find many others to make Nvidia take serious notice.

May I ask what graphics card you have please and what you experience was with the memory test I posted earlier? Should add to the thread.

Hope its nothing. Bought the OcUK KFA2 970 this morning from the shop. Not likely to be pulled from sale until something is confirmed. Was hoping to go triple screen with this card, i'll need all the vram i can get. Missed this thread when I was checking graphics cards as I'd already decided what I wanted in my build.

What to do?

Last edited:
This is no drama. It is potentially a serious bug in the hardware which needs to be investigated. Unless you have a better method of testing please let us know but I for one won't simply leave it to Nvidia to come clean if there is a problem. It is up to the community to highlight this and forward any findings to the company.
Furmark is one way of testing and we need to find many others to make Nvidia take serious notice.

May I ask what graphics card you have please and what you experience was with the memory test I posted earlier? Should add to the thread.

I have not run it as I don't own a GTX 970

Yes the community should investigate but not with the help of Furmark, I am sure there are better ways to do it than using a discredited piece of software.

Great. I'm glad I changed my 7990 for two 970's :(

Hang tight, this might not be as bad as people think. It seems this thread or the story of this is what you have the sad face for. Imagine if this information wasn't out, you'd be happy with your cards.

Just wait for information to come out to clarify what is going on here but until then, enjoy your games like you did before you learned about this news ;).

Use it as planned :)

If there is a issue, I'm sure Overclockers will sort it out
I agree... there's no point getting all het up about this just yet. I have a second 970 on pre-order and I'm not cancelling it... yet. If this DOES turn out to be a serious problem, I'll be able to return, but I'm hoping it can be fixed and I will be able to keep my cards. I really don't want this to snowball in to some massive RMA fiasco... no one benefits from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom