• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-Responds-GTX-970-35GB-Memory-Issue

The GeForce GTX 970 is equipped with 4GB of dedicated graphics memory. However the 970 has a different configuration of SMs than the 980, and fewer crossbar resources to the memory system. To optimally manage memory traffic in this configuration, we segment graphics memory into a 3.5GB section and a 0.5GB section.

There. What they haven't said, however, is what happens when you actually go over 3.5gb and try and use the last 500mb.

yea it slows right down..whatever it's called, so the 970 is basically no good above 3.5, no idea what their Lawyers will make of this, but to me it's not a 4.0 card

i should have got those 290X Lightnings

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-Responds-GTX-970-35GB-Memory-Issue

The GeForce GTX 970 is equipped with 4GB of dedicated graphics memory. However the 970 has a different configuration of SMs than the 980, and fewer crossbar resources to the memory system. To optimally manage memory traffic in this configuration, we segment graphics memory into a 3.5GB section and a 0.5GB section.

Wait, so the GTX970 is actually a 3.5GB card with 500MB of shared memory or something?

Wait, so the GTX970 is actually a 3.5GB card with 500MB of shared memory or something?

Erm, sort of. Basically the card sees 3.5gb as the main VRAM, then there's 500gb that runs like utter crap when you use it.

I just read that apparently Gigabyte have released a bios that fixes it, yet no real evidence as yet.

Hmmmm....... Not sure what to make of all this.

I bought one of the Galax infinite 970's, my first Nvidia for years, maybe since a 260.

TBH, I've been running maxed ENB skyrim, witcher 2 uber +mods, and been really impressed. I haven't run any newer games though, I'll be quite let down if there is an issue.

After years of going 'value for money', which AMD is, eg the 5850's were amazing at twice the price, i finally let myself spend £300 on a GPU...... Please don't let there be a problem Nvidia!

its 3.5 of the regular fast RAM that you find in graphics cards, then the rest is some slow ass POS RAM just so nvidia can call it a 4gb card, when you go over 3.5 it will use this slow RAM, but its so slow, that the card takes a crap and makes your games look like a piece of art from picasso

its 3.5 of the regular fast RAM that you find in graphics cards, then the rest is some slow ass POS RAM just so nvidia can call it a 4gb card, when you go over 3.5 it will use this slow RAM, but its so slow, that the card takes a crap and makes your games look like a piece of art from picasso

Poetic.

No no no dude, that's not true. The ram is all the same, be it Samsung, Hynix, whatever. It's the memory controller causing the issue. So for example, you use up to 3500mb ram and you get full 256 bit bandwidth. Then you over flow that and run into the last and you only get like 64 bit bandwidth..

Ugh, it's hard to explain but yeah, the ram is all the same. They don't fit the cards with 3.5gb of good ram then 500mb of crap ram.

No no no dude, that's not true. The ram is all the same, be it Samsung, Hynix, whatever. It's the memory controller causing the issue. So for example, you use up to 3500mb ram and you get full 256 bit bandwidth. Then you over flow that and run into the last and you only get like 64 bit bandwidth..

Ugh, it's hard to explain but yeah, the ram is all the same. They don't fit the cards with 3.5gb of good ram then 500mb of crap ram.

Its the IMC then?

Why does it do that? Is it hard-coded to just limit the card to promote the 980? hahaha

Last edited:
I was not expecting GPUZ to show 4gb for the 970, this backs up what NVidia are saying that the 970 memory is split 3.5 and 0.5gb with GPUZ showing the 3.5gb part.

What were your minimums like as this will also highlight if the VRAM is holding you back.

72.88 for the average is a good score for a 970.
SLI disabled

1080p (50% scaling)
shadowofmordor_2015_071qg4.jpg

2160p (100% scaling)
shadowofmordor_2015_0rhopu.jpg

Will show 4GB in actual game play though.

Seriously...I fail to see the reasoning comparing SLI 970 to 7990 and 7970, when they have nothing in common...?
.!

yes they do, because those were my last cards.... so they're very important to me, it's too late now to dump these cards and switch, i may as well wait till the 390X comes out and switch then.

why? because 4GB aint enough RAM for the future, let alone 3.5 :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom