• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

980Ti Load temps

Associate
I recently bought the MSI 980Ti Gaming and I've been extremely happy with it. What temperature should it be running at under full load?

I had Far Cry 3 running on ultra last night and it was a steady 75C. I know that on the MSI Gaming cards the fans don't kick in until it reaches 60C. The card was at 75C and the fan was at 66%. I'm assuming that the fan would have ramped up to 100% if it needed any further cooling?

I'm not that familiar with the Maxwell chips, since I've been running a 7950 for the last 2 years. Any advice/reassurance would be helpful!

Soldato
My G1 maxes out around 70-75c but I have set a custom fan profile to keep noise down so fans are only running 55% at that temp.
75c is fine though, if your really worried manually set the fans to a higher speed.

Last edited:
Associate
I set the fans on my MSI 980Ti to 80% and temps generally stay below 60C unless I'm playing a graphically intense game such as The Witcher 3 then it normally creeps up to the mid 60's.

Soldato
Set the fan higher in MSI if your running an overclock, starting in the low 60's the card down volts every 10c resulting in reduced clocks.

To avoid any thermal throttling you should aim to keep it in the very low 60's is you can.

Associate
I found with my 980ti, the thing that ups the temps most, by far is 4k. Even with older titles. I'm talking a big difference between 1080p and 4k temp wise, for obvious reasons, using the extra horses etc.

My EVGA SC was hitting around the 80s and quite frankly I found the ACX 2.0 to be sub par and noisy. So I decided to switch it for this subtle, discrete 7 slot setup... *Stan Smith voice* ELEGANCE... :D

CL.jpg

If you look closely, you may be able to spot a board in that mass of aluminium and copper. To be fair, 3 x 92mm fans and 2 x 120mm and it's pretty much silent under load.

Obviously no window on my case.

Soldato
Ive tried and I cant get my Air Boss Ultra 980Ti above 58C running Far Cry 4 at 3840X2160 on Ultra settings. It boosts every time to 1366mhz on the core and uses just over 3.9GB VRAM. She quickly settles back down to 26/27C on idle at 135Mhz core and 202.5Mhz memory. Am I doing something wrong, are these temps too good to be true. :)

Associate
OP
So it looks like I'm around average on stock settings with no custom cooling/fan curve.

@setter. Yup, that's the exact same situation I've got on auto-fan settings. At least I now know it's 'normal' for this card. I'l probably mess around with the fan profile and my case airflow to bring it down a little.

Soldato
Ive tried and I cant get my Air Boss Ultra 980Ti above 58C running Far Cry 4 at 3840X2160 on Ultra settings. It boosts every time to 1366mhz on the core and uses just over 3.9GB VRAM. She quickly settles back down to 26/27C on idle at 135Mhz core and 202.5Mhz memory. Am I doing something wrong, are these temps too good to be true. :)

Ah, had a play with Metro 2033 Redux on highest setting no AA @ 4K and now its hitting 65C max, still great temps though. Alien Isolation highest settings no AA 58C max. Max speed the fan has hit is 53% with 1580rpm, cant hear this card above my case fans at all. Great card this Inno3D Air Boss Ultra X4.:D

Caporegime
So it looks like I'm around average on stock settings with no custom cooling/fan curve.

@setter. Yup, that's the exact same situation I've got on auto-fan settings. At least I now know it's 'normal' for this card. I'l probably mess around with the fan profile and my case airflow to bring it down a little.
Ive got the fan set at 50% at 50c, 60% at 60c etc, still very quiet. Shot below of my settings in afterburner.

Associate
OP
OK, so I've had a quick fiddle with afterburner. Now just to find the right balance!

Does anybody have any custom fan curves that work well? I take it that 1-1 ratio means 40% at 40C and 60% at 60C?

Sorry if I sound like a dummy but I've been going slightly insane this week. I'm at home on jury service and so far haven't been picked, hence I've been sitting around for 4 days doing nothing!

EDIT: Thanks setter, you're a star!

Caporegime
No probs, thing i love about this card is how quiet it is, you can set a fixed fan speed of 80% and it's still lower than my case/cpu fans, albeit the latter are on a controller that allows them to be turned off if required. Cpu fans though are on the boards headers. Running on turbo profile in bios so a bit louder than other profiles.

Associate
OP
Yeah, got your fan curve set and it's now a cool 63C so far. I've got all my fans, CPU and case, attached to the PWM hub on my new Enthoo Pro case. I'm tempted to get a 3rd party fan controller and hook all the case fans to that, so I can adjust the case flow without changing the CPU fan speed though.

Soldato

When your temps are this good I'm guessing your GPU usage is lower than 99% which I would guess again is down to Vsync capping you at 60fps.

Caporegime
Ahh, got that fan hub with my enthoo primo. But tbh i never even tried it. Had the controller so allowed id use it as i have 9 case fans to keep in check.

63c is a nice improvement.:)

Associate
What sort of clocks does the 980 Ti typically cycle down to when idling for general desktop use? I realise that a lot of cards have fan profiles that only kick in at 60 degrees, but idle temps of 40+ degrees according to a bunch of reviews seems a bit high.

Back
Top Bottom