• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

980ti owners: what's in your basket?

Soldato
Not with added adaptive sync support it's not. Will cost him less than £100 when he sells his 980ti and the games included. Less than £100 for more performance and adaptive sync is excellent bang for buck right now.

Associate
Yea vega 56 is a nice boost over a 980ti for very little outlay if you take into account selling on the 980ti and getting 3 games res evil 2 dmc5 and division 2 the 1080ti and 2080 are great upgrades over a 980ti or the vega 56 but it’s a massive amount more. You just need to look at what games you play and see what suits your needs for me the 56 with my freesync screen was the way to go. Horses for courses they say.

Soldato
Not on Maxwell they don't.

Obviously game dependant. Also depends on what 980ti you have. Watched gamers nexus benchmarks and they used a 980ti hybrid which will oc quite a bit further than a regular air cooled number. From most things I've seen, a Vega 56 can go toe to toe (when tweaked) with a 64 stock. Stock 64 beats a 980ti in most titles by approx 20-30% on average.

I have a titan Maxwell on water so for me it's not worth it .

Soldato
My point was freesync doesn't work on Maxwell cards ragrdless of performance. If he wanted to get the use of his freesync monitor the only real upgrade is either Vega or Pascal/Turing. The Vega 56 is by far the best bang for buck.

Who are you talking about? This thread is just about the biggest balls now. So it's just bank for buck and is it worth the upgrade :p

Soldato
Who are you talking about? This thread is just about the biggest balls now. So it's just bank for buck and is it worth the upgrade :p
@Master Skooter who I originally replied to suggesting vega56. He was asking opinions on what's best bang for buck to do right now giving he has a freesync monitor and a 980ti. You then jumped in saying it's not worthwhile and incorrectly saying freesync now works with the 980ti.

What you talking about biggest balls? If it was biggest balls, I would have suggested he got a 2080ti :confused:

And yes, once again, for <£100 outlay, it's absolutely worth the upgrade for better performance and unlocking adaptive sync on his monitor.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yea vega 56 is a nice boost over a 980ti for very little outlay if you take into account selling on the 980ti and getting 3 games res evil 2 dmc5 and division 2 the 1080ti and 2080 are great upgrades over a 980ti or the vega 56 but it’s a massive amount more. You just need to look at what games you play and see what suits your needs for me the 56 with my freesync screen was the way to go. Horses for courses they say.

+1, Well pleased with my V56 sold my 980Ti+a small a mount of cash paid for my V56.

Runs my games just fine.

Next a freesync monitor looking forward to that.

Soldato
OP
980Ti still rocking.

Interesting watch. So basically the 2080 is the only worthwhile upgrade for us right now. Maybe when they drop below £550 new it'll be worth thinking about. Failing that, Navi? Not holding my breath after the R7, but you never know. Either way, fairly clear that the 980ti has turned out to be a good purchase!

Soldato
OP
Whats the general consensus right now guys, 2070 Super?
That's what I've been looking at, or else going whole hog, swallowing the bitter pill and forking out for a 2080 super. Anything less seems pointless, and a 2080ti is still absurdly expensive to the point I refuse to consider it.

Associate
I'm still in this same boat regarding having the 980ti. The prices are crazy now and I can't see the value in buying anything atall. I'm going to see how the landscape lies by the time the PS5 comes out next year as I've also been looking at maybe getting a new TV. The prices of the 4k monitors are just as mad as the graphic cards.

Caporegime
I don't think I'll be buying anything on the GPU front this year (hope not anyway) but the minimum I'd be considering would be a 5700XT or 2070 Super (max being a 2080 Super). I'm hoping for a 5800 or 5900 in the Navi line-up next year. :)

Associate
Whats the general consensus right now guys, 2070 Super?

I wouldn't have bought in, but the old GPU failed and I had to. The 2070 Super has 1080Ti performance (do you need more)? the 2080 Super almost doubles the price for a 10 - 15% performance gain.

If you're wondering I'd say to hold off until the next generation if your hand is forced then the 2070 Super is probably the best performance per pound and the 2080 super just isn't worth the huge cost increase for not much performance gain

Soldato
OP
As an aside, I repasted my zotac amp and dropped 7-9C, so suggest giving that a go to make living with it a bit longer more pleasant. I was getting 89C temps and now maxing out at 80C.

Caporegime
As an aside, I repasted my zotac amp and dropped 7-9C, so suggest giving that a go to make living with it a bit longer more pleasant. I was getting 89C temps and now maxing out at 80C.

That's not a bad idea. I've got some Thermal Grizzly paste lying about, can I use that or does it have to be a specific one especially designed for GPUs?

Back
Top Bottom