• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

980ti owners: what's in your basket?

Associate
Death Star or Mount Doom, it depends on the day.
Tbh, what card will ever feel like a massive upgrade from now on (excluding waiting for 5+ years)? The jumps will all be low double digits from now on except for crazy expensive setups (Nvlink Titans etc). A 2080 for £544 is a very good deal.

I go up in increments of 50% when I upgrade my GPU. The 1080ti is 50% better than the 980ti.

Soldato
OP
I'm thinking of going to a 8600k. I bet there is a massive improvement on Arma as well.
I considered that, but with this proliferation of cores I thought that we might see software catch up in coming years. I don't upgrade platform very often so not cores seemed prudent. I'd wait and see what the new Ryzen chips bring if I were you. Not long to wait.

I'm like you Gunni, 50% is my value benchmark (or when I start getting the itch anyway), and then it's a case of when can I get that for a price in willing to pay. 1080ti is nearly there for me, but I'm holding out for something newer, so maybe next gen cards mid tier?

Associate
I got itchy but couldn't see a card worthwhile on the market, so dropped £400 on a S2417DG instead which gives me 165hz G-Sync over my previous 144hz XL2411Z.

In my opinion its not £400 better so I'm unsure whether to return - thoughts?

Associate
I got itchy but couldn't see a card worthwhile on the market, so dropped £400 on a S2417DG instead which gives me 165hz G-Sync over my previous 144hz XL2411Z.

For that money i would have gone for a 1440p 144hz monitor. Maybe see what you can get and return the S2417DG

Associate
I'm still considering options. Going to see what the vii looks like, then get something I reckon. Looking to go ryzen 3xxx in the summer, think a new card will hold me till then!

Associate
I've decided to hold off as well, at least for another month and see how things settle. I did look into switching to a 980ti / 1070 but there too expensive for the performance gain for me. I'd prefer to wait and make a larger jump.

Soldato
OP
I've decided to hold off as well, at least for another month and see how things settle. I did look into switching to a 980ti / 1070 but there too expensive for the performance gain for me. I'd prefer to wait and make a larger jump.
Out of curiosity, what prices were you seeing 980ti cards going for 2nd hand? Presumably of interest to the rest of us in here.

Associate
Not in the slightest. It's about justifying the cost to myself to make my pc run at the settings I want. The only game I've played the 970 can't cope with is anthem. And the unoptimised demo is playable on medium/low settings at 50-55fps for the most part. And still looks good.

I didn't spend that long looking around at 2nd hand cards but 980ti's were going for around £100-200. It seems upgrading to a 980ti and I'll be in the same situation as now in a year or less. While I don't see the Radeon VII's changing any prices the 2080ti's are already starting to hit the 1k mark. I'm happy to wait a bit longer.

Associate
I can feel myself wavering - I really don't want to give Nvidia any money but the 2080 is seeming like it's going to be the only option if I want a reasonable performance upgrade in the foreseeable future.

I'll have a play around with the graphics settings on the titles I've been holding off - last time I tried anything with them I was on a 4k screen but have since switched to UW 1440P with gsync so maybe more playable...

Soldato
OP
Anthem, albeit a demo with some work to be done on it, really hammers my 980ti at 1440p even with a handful of settings down to high (dips to high 40s, mostly high 50s). If it's that demanding at launch I think it might be a sign of things to come and me finally feeling my 980ti isn't quite up to the job. Or else just playing on high instead of ultra :o

Soldato

I'd return it and buy an HTC vive. Climbing inside a computer game and actually being that charactor is the most amazing thing in the world. Actually seeing the world through his eyes in true 1st person. Actually being there. Compare that to a 24 inch flat monitor.

Soldato
Out of curiosity, what prices were you seeing 980ti cards going for 2nd hand? Presumably of interest to the rest of us in here.
On the auction site, auction cards are going for anything from £200 upwards. I got one with an included AIO for £200. Boxed mint cards might be around £250 but given you can get a 1070 for around £220, it's hard to get a good price for a 980ti.

Soldato
OP
On the auction site, auction cards are going for anything from £200 upwards. I got one with an included AIO for £200. Boxed mint cards might be around £250 but given you can get a 1070 for around £220, it's hard to get a good price for a 980ti.

Looks like they're going for about £175/180 in MM. Bargain compared to a new card. A 1070 for £220 would give a bit more grunt, but if budget was really tight it's not worth the extra £40. 1080ti going for £550 in MM. Seems crazy to pay nearly triple for a card that doesn't offer double the performance.

Back
Top Bottom