• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

9900KS...

TrM

TrM

Associate
It's hassle only the real dedicated enthusiasts seek :). The days of slapping an easy 10% clock speed on have long gone.
I spent a whole lot of time, learning as I went overclocking the 9900K but despite lots of testing there was still an occasional instability. For the 5ghz I was aiming for and my uses I decided it wasn't worth the effort.2-300mhz in it.

I'd prefer a 10 core Z390 part personally with the 8 9900K clockspeeds than the higher clocking 8 core :).
Overclocking has always carried that sort of risk though and so many people don’t think that the effort, extra cooling, and other factors are worth it . I have had so many cpu’s Over the years that I have to take oc off in summer due to heat problems and other factors I personally just want a cpu to get near max performance out of the box.

The new cpu’s From intel will require new motherboards though and a 10 core 10th gen cpu is a tall ask for intel to do. I would really like to see intel make a cpu socket last more then 2 years. But they won’t allow it a new motherboard socket and power requirement will be set by intel.

Now its either bad forward planning or my tin foil hat says that intel does it every 2 years to please ASUS gigabyte etc as a new cpu socket requires a new mobo = extra money for them and garranteed sales:)

Soldato
'S' to Intel used to mean a 65W Locked version of a CPU.
Product names are hard enough to decipher for most people already without them changing what the letters mean over time.

Indeed it did! I had a 3770S in a Thin iTX build once. I imagine it's following the Nvidia trend now for "super" or once you've bought it you're "skint".

Soldato
Overclocking has always carried that sort of risk though and so many people don’t think that the effort, extra cooling, and other factors are worth it . I have had so many cpu’s Over the years that I have to take oc off in summer due to heat problems and other factors I personally just want a cpu to get near max performance out of the box.

The new cpu’s From intel will require new motherboards though and a 10 core 10th gen cpu is a tall ask for intel to do. I would really like to see intel make a cpu socket last more then 2 years. But they won’t allow it a new motherboard socket and power requirement will be set by intel.

Now its either bad forward planning or my tin foil hat says that intel does it every 2 years to please ASUS gigabyte etc as a new cpu socket requires a new mobo = extra money for them and garranteed sales:)

other way around technically. Specially with B360 and Z390 being all in house design. ASUS/DELL/HP/GIGABYTE etc PAY intel for the chipset . newer chipset and forces an upgrade, more money for Intel !

Likes of Dell and HP buy SOOOOOO many chipsets and CPUs from Intel directly, they also get star treatment via samples first and in larger batches

Soldato
A 9900k at 5Ghz tops out at 80W in games you say?

That is probably not the max, really depends on the game which is hard to measure since there are 10s of thousands of games. But I’ve been watching a couple YouTube channels over the last few months with those guys playing AAA games at 1440p and 4K and 40 to 80w is what I’ve seen there 5ghz 9900k pulling with riva overlay turned on

On average my 5ghz 8700k pulls 60w across a wide range of AAA games that I play, mostly 4K but also some 1440p - and my 8700k is a crap chip that needs 1.39v at 5ghz

Associate
That is probably not the max, really depends on the game which is hard to measure since there are 10s of thousands of games. But I’ve been watching a couple YouTube channels over the last few months with those guys playing AAA games at 1440p and 4K and 40 to 80w is what I’ve seen there 5ghz 9900k pulling with riva overlay turned on

On average my 5ghz 8700k pulls 60w across a wide range of AAA games that I play, mostly 4K but also some 1440p - and my 8700k is a crap chip that needs 1.39v at 5ghz
Gentleman, with all due respect, you not seriously think any1 would believe 8 core 5GHz chips running AAA games doing 80w :D

Back
Top Bottom