• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

9900KS...

Soldato
No one is going to buy it as evident from the poll at https://www.techpowerup.com/259595/intel-core-i9-9900ks-to-cost-around-usd-600
But probably that's the idea :o

95-percent-say-NO.png
Just like everyone said they wouldn't pay over 1000 for a 2080ti ;)

Soldato
Use case dependent. If you’re doing low graphics, low res and high frame rate (200hz+) competitive online gaming, sure.

At ultra wide or 4K, you’d be hard pressed to tell the difference in A/B testing.

Or, in other words, the CPU doesn't matter if the GPU is the bottleneck.

That's like saying a Ferrari is the same speed as a Corsa when they're both stuck in traffic.

Soldato
Or, in other words, the CPU doesn't matter if the GPU is the bottleneck.

That's like saying a Ferrari is the same speed as a Corsa when they're both stuck in traffic.
It isn't quite the same. As the 'faster for gaming' seems to view an entire subset of actual usage in gaming.
How many run 720p for their online shoot em ups?
WHilst owning a 4k monitor etc.
I'd say this usage is rather minimal.

Soldato
Use case dependent. If you’re doing low graphics, low res and high frame rate (200hz+) competitive online gaming, sure.

At ultra wide or 4K, you’d be hard pressed to tell the difference in A/B testing.

for the time being only. Once you move into high framerates Intel moves ahead again - it's only close at high resolution due to the low framerate (gpu bottlenecking)

Soldato
It isn't quite the same. As the 'faster for gaming' seems to view an entire subset of actual usage in gaming.
How many run 720p for their online shoot em ups?
WHilst owning a 4k monitor etc.
I'd say this usage is rather minimal.

Not 720p but I'd wager that significant numbers, if not the majority of PC gamers are still on 1080p and, with a decent graphics card, the CPU can absolutely become the bottleneck on some complex games.

Soldato
When is a 5Ghz 9900 going to be a bottleneck though really?

Could we not turn this into a "but AMD" thread?

Current 9900 prices are sub £500 so I'm wondering if the KS will push them lower just because of buyer demand dropping. Ironically it could increase it though if the KS is too expensive.

Associate
Even today's fastest CPUs can struggle in some games at times at which point small difference in performance can make or break the experience especially when playing with vsync.
And as Digital Foundry pointed out when playing a game you will not remember when the game reached very high fps but when the framerate tanked.
In my opinion just for pure gaming the 9900k/ks is hands down the best CPU.

Last edited:
Associate
Been thinking the 600$/£ potential cost of this chip, it hasn’t put me off getting it.
Hopefully it’ll be as close to the current 9900k pricing and push that one down. But intel are greedy so we shall see.

One thing is im not considering its potential high price and settling and buying a 9900k, my reason for this is the silicone lottery on those is going to be few and far between while they maintain stocks of that KS.

TrM

TrM

Associate

Current 9900 prices are sub £500 so I'm wondering if the KS will push them lower just because of buyer demand dropping. Ironically it could increase it though if the KS is too expensive.

whilst I don’t want to run this into a amd thread but the 9900k prices have had some reductions and sales but not nearly enough taking ocuk for instance it’s never gone below 450 allways stayed around 480 to 500.

now if the romours are true and the 9900ks is indeed around the 600 mark I don’t believe it will impact the price of the 9900k at all. What intel need to do is put the 9900ks at 480 mark and push the 9900k closer to 400.

at the moment I don’t believe intel CPU’s make sense at price points the 3900x is a lot more cpu overall yes could be said slightly behind in gaming same can be said for 3700x vs i7 9700k

to me the intel cpu are really good and I would never advise not to get one but there price points are to high now they need to bring prices down.

a 600 i9 9900ks doesn’t make sense

Associate

There is enough supply out there already of 9900k to keep it at £500 or less, IMHO.

I'm not convinced about the £600 for the KS either. Lot of folks out there now questioning this placeholder price. Guess we'll know soon enough.

Hope it's not too long, as I'm looking to do a 9900K build. Just need to see the price of this new chip before pulling the trigger.

Associate
Exactly, i would truly like to know how many folks building a 9900ks system, with a 4k monitor, do most of their gaming in 720p
Who actually does that on here?
No quite 4k but I run 1440p monitors in 1080p because "age/eyesight" although I have started to use the one monitor in 1440p, regardless the amount of people who actually game in 4k compared to 1440p and still especially 1080p is probably so miniscule it's pointless even using it as an argument.

Associate
There is enough supply out there already of 9900k to keep it at £500 or less, IMHO.

I'm not convinced about the £600 for the KS either. Lot of folks out there now questioning this placeholder price. Guess we'll know soon enough.

Hope it's not too long, as I'm looking to do a 9900K build. Just need to see the price of this new chip before pulling the trigger.
Same here I'm literally ready to spend just waiting, I can already get a KF for less than a K from "other" places, especially as OC don't even stock the KF is the reason I haven't bought it yet. As for the AMD why am I going to pay more money for a CPU that doesn't really offer me enough margin in the primary goal of gaming.. I had high hopes for AMD this time around but for me they have shot themselves in the foot a little with the pricing/performance(current prices). I would ready to jump ship to AMD but unfortunately I'll be sticking with Intel this time around.

Last edited:
Associate
whilst I don’t want to run this into a amd thread but the 9900k prices have had some reductions and sales but not nearly enough taking ocuk for instance it’s never gone below 450 allways stayed around 480 to 500.

now if the romours are true and the 9900ks is indeed around the 600 mark I don’t believe it will impact the price of the 9900k at all. What intel need to do is put the 9900ks at 480 mark and push the 9900k closer to 400.

at the moment I don’t believe intel CPU’s make sense at price points the 3900x is a lot more cpu overall yes could be said slightly behind in gaming same can be said for 3700x vs i7 9700k

to me the intel cpu are really good and I would never advise not to get one but there price points are to high now they need to bring prices down.

a 600 i9 9900ks doesn’t make sense
Here's hoping..... I fthey did that it would pretty much sink AMD this time around but unfortunately Intel.... $$$ as usual.

Back
Top Bottom