A 10 hour walk...

Soldato
Even though trying to walk it was a bad call he'd have probably been fine if he'd just stuck to the road though, the next village along after Masca was just under 6km away. If he'd walked along the road and soon realised he was too dehydrated/hungover to carry on he could have waited for a bus/asked for help, there and indeed after that there are multiple towns going down the mountainous round and along the coastal bit of the long walk back it's mostly built-up areas.
Yep if he'd stuck to the road he would have probably been fine though because it's mainly a single lane road his biggest risk would be being hit by a car seeing he was probably still suffering from the effects of the night before.

That road can get pretty busy for how remote it is so there would always be people driving past to notice him if he was in real distress.

Last edited:
Soldato
But the big unanswered question is which river?
The river Leven
Hasn't everyone gone to random after parties with total strangers before? I certainly have, fun times! In fact it's how I met my partner of 12 years now.....

Passing out in a river seems pretty foolish in comparison. Perhaps not as foolish as trying to walk 10 hours through the mountains in Africa (pretty much) starting out dehydrated.
Was it a party though? I don't think anyone else went back. Can three people make a party? I suppose a very specific type of party could have occurred.

Soldato
Was it a party though? I don't think anyone else went back. Can three people make a party? I suppose a very specific type of party could have occurred.
Groups of people just hang out talking **** and listening to music sometimes. It's actually a thing. Particularly if you've been partying beforehand.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Did you go on your own with two random blokes, in a car, 40 minutes away?

I mean we've all been young and stupid (for example I once woke up with my lower half in a river) but this is so far past stupidity you have to consider other motives.

And he isn't 12 or something. He's 19! (I think)

Associate
This story was much more interesting when people thought he was a drug mule who had been kidnapped by some gangsters who were demanding 30k ransom.

Now it’s calmed down a bit we’re back on the far less interesting “stupid brit gets lost abroad” narrative.

Edit: Also did he actually machete someone himself or was he just part of the group that included the person who did it ?

Last edited:
Associate
This story was much more interesting when people thought he was a drug mule who had been kidnapped by some gangsters who were demanding 30k ransom.

Now it’s calmed down a bit we’re back on the far less interesting “stupid brit gets lost abroad” narrative.

Edit: Also did he actually machete someone himself or was he just part of the group that included the person who did it ?

I'm not sure that information is known as the judge sentenced them all as a group rather than assigning individual responsibilities.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Associate
I'm not sure that information is known as the judge sentenced them all as a group rather than assigning individual responsibilities.

Yes, "Joint Enterprise" the big pitfall of being a gang member who goes along with the others just to be popular. (Not suggesting he didn't actually do it though.)

Caporegime
If a seasoned hiker got stuffed.. A 19 with no water, a pair of flip flops, and under the influence?.. No chance.

They'll either find a body or something dodgy has gone down

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom