A battlefield2 thread

Caporegime
MNuTz said:
Zonealarm.

Ive checked the firewall and everything is fine, one day its fine and then next it will be slow!!

I occasionally have the odd time where I log in and all my pings are rubbish, usually restarting the pc or resetting my cable modem fixes it.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
MNuTz said:
even multiplay servers are over 240, seems to be UK, french and german servers.

No running an older 10MB cable network until i move house and connected a 8gig to the net.

I just had an hour or so on pubbys testing my new card. My pings were around the 20-50 mark depending on what server i was on. They were rock solid and steady.
I would say it's something your end.

Associate
Same pings as me tonight by the looks of it, its a min of 120-400 and although it drops to 20 in game I fire first and have died first 90% of the time. Its almost like I'm a second behind lol

Whoop

Associate
MNuTz said:
anyone any tips for lowering the ping on BF2??

Sometimes the majority of servers will be between 40-110, sometimes, like today, are at the lowest 220!

Ive got nothing else running on the network or my PC.

Any suggestions to what the problem may be or suggestions on trying to increase performance??

I Dream of getting such low pings! Out here in China, there seem to be no ranked servers, so I have to connect to Thailand, Korea, and sometimes West Coast USA. Lowest pings are about 250, but not too laggy. And the USA ones only kick you if your ping is above 400!

Occasionally it does get a lot worse, so when this happens I restart my ADSL modem, which seems to do the trick.

I'm running on 2MB ADSL, but was wondering whether upgrading to 8MB ADSL would significantly lower my pings? Or is the bottleneck somewhere else (i.e. the great firewall of China)?

Soldato
Don't think upgrading will help as BF2 will not even be using your 2mb line to full capacity , so upgrading to 8 won't really do anything. Think it's just the distance , so only way you're gonna lower it is play on a server closer.

Try unranked , bound to be some out there as anyone can host them :).

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
^^ Not sure you are right there mate as the 8meg line will have a better up rate, surely this would help.
I have upgraded my connection the first chance i got and have noticed the difference right up to my current 10meg.
Odviously it's not going to drop them that much but i think it would help keep the connection more steady as well as drop them a bit.
That and a decent well balanced system free of crap with the best set up for online play would have to improve things in my opinion.
I sim race on Aussy servers quite regularly and get pings no higher than 100-150 a much more acceptable rate, this is what you should be aiming for.
I am a ping junky when it comes to my FPS and get around 20 on UK and 25-50 on Europeans, now that's a ping :cool:

Soldato
Yeah if you upgrade to 8mb you will have an upload rate of 400 rather than the normal 250.

The upload is what will make the real changes to the speed.

Onto another subject.

Im new to this and have the following problems.

I am quite good with the assault gun and getting better with the sniper but cant do much with the anti tank guy. I seem to shoot them and they laugh at me like ive hit them with a pea shooter. How many hits do things take and is there a better place to hit them? Ive never even hit a copter before!

And as I am getting higher in rank which are the best gun upgrades to select?

I got the assault and sniper at the moment. I know it depends on which guy you use but what are your fav guns and why?

Thanks

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Minstadave said:
I've had 10mb for about a month (by accident) and got downgraded to 1mb cable (what I actually pay for), made no difference at all to BF2, still low pings, no lag, perfect :)

Why would it give you better pings if they are already low :confused: It can't.
But if you had high pings with 1meg it would help to get 10.

Posty.
No news yet but next 5days looks hopefull.

bloodline76
The 1st Medic unlock is a great weapon and playing medic is a lot of fun. Bare in mind you have no armour and it can be a good all round class to play. A good amount of sprint, plenty of packs to heal yourself, Heal points for packs and revive and probably the best gun on the field.

Caporegime
malc30 said:

I was just saying that for me there's no difference between 10meg and 1meg, so they guy thinking of upgrading may get no benefit from the increased bandwidth (be it up or downstream).

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Minstadave said:
I was just saying that for me there's no difference between 10meg and 1meg, so they guy thinking of upgrading may get no benefit from the increased bandwidth (be it up or downstream).

The Dude is in China mate :p With mega pings and low speeds :(
I do think the biggest he can get would help.

Soldato
malc30 said:

Posty.
No news yet but next 5days looks hopefull.

bloodline76
The 1st Medic unlock is a great weapon and playing medic is a lot of fun. Bare in mind you have no armour and it can be a good all round class to play. A good amount of sprint, plenty of packs to heal yourself, Heal points for packs and revive and probably the best gun on the field.

Thanks. Will give that one a try next. What about the special ops unlock?

Back
Top Bottom