• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

A bit of reality!

Soldato
Said right from the start I wouldn't pay more than £500 for a gpu. Was fully prepared to wait until I could bag a 3070 FE at rrp. Luckily got one a week after launch. But no way was I going to pay a penny more, despite having the money. Far more important things in life to pay for than video cards.

Associate
I whole heartedly agree, ppl shouldn't be buying anything above RRP.

But these are desperate times, people under lockdown, stuck indoors, want to relaease their frustrations somehow.

Maybe pay 5% over RRP and hell even 10%. But when you start going into 20%-30% its a muggs game.

Speaking of which Sapphire NITRO 6800XT just popped out at £950 quid and someone bought it.

Thats £50 notes more than 6900XT RRP price. lol

#madness.
:eek:

Associate
Said right from the start I wouldn't pay more than £500 for a gpu. Was fully prepared to wait until I could bag a 3070 FE at rrp. Luckily got one a week after launch. But no way was I going to pay a penny more, despite having the money. Far more important things in life to pay for than video cards.

i said the same £500 was my absolute limit. i pushed to £600 and do not regret it.

Man of Honour
The only prices that are good are founders/reference msrp. Paying above this is a joke.

no one psys above list for a car.

no one pays above rrp for a phone or tv.

This 3rd party involvement (AIBs) just adds another profit wanting party to the chain and its unneccessary.

You have clearly never tried to buy a Porsche GT car. ;) It's the opposite, nobody pays list.

Soldato
It's like the new currency *walks into DFS, "sorry I don't have any cash for this £1400 sofa, will you accept Nvidia GeForce RTX3080 FE currency?" - "Sure yes" - "Excellent, here is the RTX 3080" - "Thank you very much for your services, here is your new sofa, I hope you enjoy"

"Hi I'd like to buy this brand new Vauxhall, I don't have any cash, would you accept these 10 RTX 3080 Fe's?" - "Certainly sir, however, we only need 5 of them!" - "Excellent!!!!!"

Soldato
In nearly 30 years of PC gaming I've never seen worse conditions in the hardware market. Same with the console market.

The irony is there aren't many great new games that are especially demanding

Associate
OP
In nearly 30 years of PC gaming I've never seen worse conditions in the hardware market. Same with the console market.

Exactly. The only reason i wanted a new GPU was Cyberpunk. But that is so messed up that waiting a few months might not be a bad thing!

Associate

Being at home so much, gaming is bigger than ever. Crypto hitting new highs means mining is viable. Production issues due to Covid. Perfect storm.

Demand is killing supply. Strangely, we actually have good competition in the PC and console market but it matters not when demand far outstrips supply.

Caporegime

Indeed. Even if AMD GPUs existed (lol), the PSU I want doesn't exist (Focus PX-850), the motherboard I want doesn't exist (Aorus Pro B550 V2).

And AMD haven't released their non-X CPUs yet anyhow.

All in all it's a crap time to upgrade.

Soldato
I'm hoping my current setup will go on for some time, 3080 / 3700X / 16GB 3200 ram. Can't see that setup getting saturated anytime soon even at 4k - with the help of DLSS which I'm toootttallly fine with.

Soldato
I'm hoping my current setup will go on for some time, 3080 / 3700X / 16GB 3200 ram. Can't see that setup getting saturated anytime soon even at 4k - with the help of DLSS which I'm toootttallly fine with.

Until games actually make a demand on the GPU (before anyone says CP2077- it's a poorly optimized, unfinished game currently) a 3080 will see you right for a good while up to 4k with GDDR6x coming into it's own at high resolutions. As you say, DLSS if required and it works really well in some games and moreso at 4k. Great cards and wont upgrade mine until games start not running at 4k. Cant see needing to upgrade for a good while until 8k becomes mainstream.

Soldato
Well not any of those as get a few bob for them due to current market, I have a low end PCI-E GPU for emergencies and a iGPU.

I game on a Reverb in VR and my 1080Ti can *barely* run it, so I want to keep at least something that strong to back up my upgrade. I may sell my 1070 though.

Soldato
Yep! I had that realisation with the 3070 and gave up. The prices are utterly ridiculous. Having said that, I've noticed multiple notifications regarding stock and prices are coming down. Saw a 3070 for 550 earlier.

I think if you're after a 3070 these prices are becoming more reasonable as people have realised its just similar to a 2080ti the big price increase are with 6800xt and rtx 3080 and they're more in demand so sure you'll get one soon.

Associate
I think the general consensus here is to use discord stock checkers to find a card rather than wait for months and receive nothing.

I bet you'd find a card long before you dropped below 200 in the Q.

I could've had at least 10 (not exeragerating) cards with the discord notifications.

Soldato

Same here, I had actually bought a Xbox Series X on pre order as I had ruled out buying anything other than the 3080FE which looked unlikely after that abysmal launch. However, I got lucky a week later and a work colleague ended up buying the Xbox from me.

I've sat back and watched all this greed not just from scalpers but from certain retailers also and I think it's put a massive dent in my enthusiasm. I've got the cash sitting here for a 5800x but I can't bring myself to shop where it's currently in stock at a reasonable price - the greed they're displaying with the 5900x and GPUs is just putting me off buying anything from them.

Back
Top Bottom