A friend and the cat.

Soldato
I love cats, I have two, but they are more than capable of living outside, especially if you provide some shelter and blankets etc. A kitchen with a cat bed will be more than adequate.

One of our Toms stays out all night because he'll howl every night at 2am for breakfast and to go out. He does have access to the garage which has water, biscuits and a warm bed as well as the greenhouse which also has a bed he loves. He'll also have free reign of the house up until we go to bed.

The other will happily sleep right through, getting up at 6 for his brekkie and to go out.

What people are forgetting is cats are free spirits now matter how much we domesticate and spoil them.

If the cat really hated the kitchen or living with op he'd move to one of your neighbours.

Our black cat turned up as a stray and gradually moved in, we had him neutered etc and we've since been told that 3 of our neighbours have been inviting him in and feeding him too. It most certainly is a cats life!

Soldato

I think it's pretty obvious why.

Put the cat on gumtree, someone will take proper care of the animal and give it a loving home.

Can't understand people like you/your wife, you made a decision to have a pet then you're responsible for the rest of it's life.

my cat annoys me quite often, destroys furniture etc but I made the decision to have her and now I'm going to deal with it, pets are not all cuddles and fun they have their issues and if you're not man enough to take care of one then let it go to a better home.

Kicking a pet outside is just wrong.

Soldato

People are saying your Cat is stressed, your response of "the cat is happy" shows a lack of understanding of animals. Your Cat can't verbally tell you it's happy, you cannot know it's happy, you can only tell it's state of mind from it's behavior. If a signal for a stressed Cat is that it's urinating in places it shouldn't, then you need to take that seriously, irrespective of the fact that from a human perspective it may seem outwardly happy. The fact you aren't taking that advice seriously shows you don't actually care very much. Also the fact you're comparing what's supposedly a family pet to live stock shows you and probably your wife don't actually give a **** about your Cat, so don't get anymore Pets

Soldato
I have a cat and he is allowed free reign of the house while I'm up. He's not allowed in the front room on his own as he molests the blankets when no one is looking. The bedrooms are shut during the day except mine so he can sleep on my bed if he wants. I don't really like him in the kids rooms.

At night he is very rarely left out. Only on nice warm summer evenings and then I'll leave the utility room window open.

I have a friend who lives on a farm and they have nigh on 10 cats and none of them are allowed in the house. They've only ever known that so are used to it.

For a predominantly house bound cat to be turfed out 24/7 there is no way it's going to be too pleased. If you can, I would at least let it in the kitchen at night.

Do you have a shed or somewhere outside it could go? Mine goes in the shed on the odd occasion he gets left outside and there is bedding in there which I check now and again to keep it tidy.

For everyone concerned probably best to think about re-homing him. I wouldn't beat yourself up, it happens. Just do right by the cat and sort out a decent home for it.

Soldato
To be honest most people from Norwich are either wreckheads, hipsters or deranged/crazy :D
This is true^
My Mum is/was from "Notch" and she was any combination of these at any given time!

Why would the cat be "terrified" out side?
Because you've booted it out of the one place it was guaranteed safety.

How did cats survive so long before humans took them in and domesticated them???
They had great big saber teeth and hunted humans as food, for starters...

After reading all the answers I can see that there are 2 groups of people here animal people and non animal people.
Having not read them properly, you have actually miscounted your groups.

I have decided to leave my child and cat out side and give the a mobile phone each. Who ever calls 1st can come in. (I'm not cruel I have shown them both how to use it)
Cat wins.

They are WE eat enough of them.
Humans are animals too...

The cat isn't stressed , seems very happy.
Sounds like famous last words from someone like Steve Irwin or Caesar Milan, yep.......

TBH, it sounds like both the cat and the wife are stressing you out and you want neither. Suggest you boot them both out and go play GTA or something.

Soldato
Time to give the cat to people that care. To expect it live in one room is disgusting and little wonder that it is having issues. You and your wife are being cruel and it is time for you to arrange for the cat to go to a loving home.

Edit: just seen you are going to rehome, please insure that it goes to a loving home and not someone who will use it for dog baiting and the like.

Soldato
Are you seriously telling me that a domestic cat can not survive outside?

ok, i'll bite on this one.

as some of you may be aware, i recently had a cat run over on me, but that's besides the point of this conversation.

the way we got him was he turned up as a stray at my aunts house (one of these people who just accumulates cats), she had been feeding him for a couple of weeks.

and even then, when we turned up to take a look at him he was wretched, scrawny, bad ears, bad feet bad fur (what fur there was), he was about 1/3 of the weight he should have been.

now when we got him it was plain he wasn't wild, he'd been domesticated and was easily handled, but you'd be amazed that from this scrawny mess came (after considerable feeding over several months) a happy healthy loving cat.

so you say a domesticated cat can survive on its own? i doubt it, yes cats have a wild instinct in them but a cat that's been raised domesticated and mollycoddled its whole life is NOT going to survive well outside, had it not been for him finding my aunt and then us, he's have starved to death.

as it was he had several months of health and happyness, we treated his ears, he tripled in weight and his feed healed up, until sadly he was hit by a car (which was massively unlucky).

feral cats get taught to hunt by their parents, but a domesticated cat is going to have to learn from scratch, with no intuition. if you want to know what trying to survive from scratch is like maybe try out to go on the island, although that's got medical backup a cat on the streets isn't going to have.

Soldato
I would just take the cat to the RSPCA your self, they will re-home it for you. They would prefer to take a pet from an owner who doesn't want it as a lot of the strays come from families that lose interest in their pets, they wouldn't wanna take the chance in that the cat would become another stray.

Soldato
Time to give the cat to people that care. To expect it live in one room is disgusting and little wonder that it is having issues. You and your wife are being cruel and it is time for you to arrange for the cat to go to a loving home.

I don't understand why people get so paranoid about babies and cats and feel the need to keep the two completely separate, I'd trust a cat with a baby more than I'd trust a dog honestly. How many dog attacks are there each year? Hardly seems a month goes by without news of some child being killed by a dog. Who ever heard of anyone being killed by a cat? Seems people are in thrall to old wives tales and superstition.

Soldato
I don't understand why people get so paranoid about babies and cats and feel the need to keep the two completely separate, I'd trust a cat with a baby more than I'd trust a dog honestly. How many dog attacks are there each year? Hardly seems a month goes by without news of some child being killed by a dog. Who ever heard of anyone being killed by a cat? Seems people are in thrall to old wives tales and superstition.

As Desmond Morris points out, It is hard to imagine a Cat remaining on top of a distressed struggling Baby, even a very young one.

However, these "Old Wives Tales" must have had an origin.

Cats might well be drawn to the warm cosy environment of a Baby in a Pram. "Cot death" must have been just as much an issue in past centuries as it is today (possibly more so than today)

Finding a dead Baby with a Cat sleeping next to it would certainly result in people, not unreasonably, linking the two.

Soldato
I would just take the cat to the RSPCA your self, they will re-home it for you. They would prefer to take a pet from an owner who doesn't want it as a lot of the strays come from families that lose interest in their pets, they wouldn't wanna take the chance in that the cat would become another stray.

RSPCA=No

Cats protection=Yes

Back
Top Bottom