A friend and the cat.

Soldato
You could just solve this really easily.
Let the cat out in the summer, mostly all my cats have prefered to stay out when warm. They like to hunt.

Solve the winter problem by buying using an outdoor shoe mat. (Cat's become nervous in new homes by unfamilar outdoor smells from your feet)
Leave the cat in the kitchen with a nice warm bed. Nothing wrong with it being in one room for the night.

I don't really see an issue with leaving it to roam when your inside. It shouldn't in theory **** anywhere else. Mats are a common place because you wipe outside smells on them.
Cats will learn discipline, my cats as a youth were always scared of a low voice shouting at them.

If this seems difficult to you, then well, as others have said. Lazy people shouldn't have animals.

Last edited:
Associate
Surprised the cat hasnt moved on if its not enjoying its environment. A cat has very recently moved into my house. I dont know his history, no collar or anything, but he seems to prefer it to wherever he came from.

Associate
People like the OP and his GF make me realize why I have lost faith in all of humanity.

I swear the older I get the more dumber and bone idle people are becoming especially at reading some of his responses.

Hope the cat craps all over your house before you take it to be re-homed.

Do yourself a favor, don't ever own a pet ever again, animals are just not for you and your GF as you have no idea what it actually means to own a pet. You are responsible for that pets well being for the rest of its life, its adopted you as its parents and you had the responsibility of loving and caring for it whilst it resides with you. I see that you've had your five minutes of fun with the cat and now your GF is bored with it so wants to get rid. I just hope for your cats sake that it ends up with a better owner than its current pair of air breathers.

Associate
My cat is a complete nightmare.
She has both the kids scared to death of her, has the dog terrified and even attacks the wife on the odd occasion. she sleeps most of the day and goes out at night on her own free will.

yes we let her up the stairs but keep the kids doors closed but leave ours open as she will sleep under our bed. most of the time you'll find her on the top landing sleeping and the only time you see her is when she wants food.

were trying to get her into the habit of being in at night and out during the day as its coming into the colder nights but she goes daft behind the door at night to get out..

Im not a cat person wasn't even me that wanted the cat but don't think any of us would rehome her or try and get rid of her.

she has her nice moments but 9 out of 10 times shes out for blood for no reason...

Associate
My cat is a complete nightmare.
She has both the kids scared to death of her, has the dog terrified and even attacks the wife on the odd occasion. she sleeps most of the day and goes out at night on her own free will.

yes we let her up the stairs but keep the kids doors closed but leave ours open as she will sleep under our bed. most of the time you'll find her on the top landing sleeping and the only time you see her is when she wants food.

were trying to get her into the habit of being in at night and out during the day as its coming into the colder nights but she goes daft behind the door at night to get out..

Im not a cat person wasn't even me that wanted the cat but don't think any of us would rehome her or try and get rid of her.

she has her nice moments but 9 out of 10 times shes out for blood for no reason...

The kids are scared to death of her because its highly likely the kids did something to her so she now protects herself against them.

Unfortunately you can't train/retrain cats into choosing a suitable time for them to go out. Especially if they are quite old. Don't worry about it being cold cats don't feel the cold as much as humans do and are far more adapted to cope with cold weather than we are. Unlike dogs cats are completely independent and they chose when they want to go out. You could install a cat flap with a timer on it but judging how you describe your cat its likely i will make her more annoyed with you then she currently is. Cats are sociable animals, if you spend little to no time interacting and socializing with them they don't gain much respect from you. If you want her to be cool around your children, I would suggest you gets some cat treats and let the kids give them (1-2 treats a day) to the cat. Make sure you are their to supervise. whilst the cat is chomping down on the treats get the kids to stroke her and start making this a routine. Eventually your cat will warm to the kids. Cats generally dont like little kids as they are full of noise. Above all spend more time with your cat to assure it that it is safe, and you will see a change in his/her behaviour.

Associate
shes fine with me. Im really the only one that can go near her. She pretty much dislikes anyone else..
shell be 8 at the end of the year and even as a kitten she was pretty much my cat

My youngest is really good with animals Ive tried the treat idea with him doing it but still the same result

Last edited:
Soldato
I imagine kids probably did not start their relationship with the cat very well. My first cat when i was very young apparently became far less friendly when myself and siblings were born, toddlers tend to like pulling and grabbing stuff. After i became old enough to realise that it was cruel to chase it and grab its tail, it slowly became more friendly. The cat ended up living until 23 years old and was very sad to see it pass away. I never thought it to be particularly long until my girlfriend spotted a picture of me as a baby with the cat and myself as an adult holding the same cat.

Does your wife or children shout at the cat ever or tell it off?

Does the cat hiss when its being 'nasty'?

cats are fine with cold nights as long as they can freely go inside when they want. Last thing you want is a wet, crying kitty outside your door, waking you up at 3am.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom