A good steak at home!!

Associate
Hello,

I am pretty sure this one might be have been discussed before but why not review it again?

So a good steak at home, what does it take?

Everyone knows a restaurant generally cant be beaten in this regard, such an advantage to have to the powerful flame grill's that restaurant's will use for maximum colour/heat.

I suppose the next thing would be the BBQ, which this summer could easily be achieved.

But keeping within the normally stocked kitchen what can we do?

So for steak I normally plump for a rib-eye. Getting a good rib-eye with good fat marbling normally isn't too hard. I generally go for thicker cut steaks. Even if I need to go to the butcher counter at the supermarket and ask for 1 inch thick cut. Thin steaks just don't cook as well, by the time the outside has some colour the inside is as dry as the sahara.

I take the steak out of the fridge 1 hour before cooking, obviously to allow the meat to relax and make sure its not stone cold in the middle. I then coat the steak with some groundnut oil, high smoke point, neutral flavour, perfect. Then seasoning, which I keep simple, aggressive salt and pepper, fresh ground of course. As discussed I let the steak then sit for 1 hour.

For the choice of pan, I go for a heavy bottom non stick pan. I also have a heavy bottom aluminum pan and a griddle pan. I have always had the best results from my non stick pan.

I preheat the pan for 5 mins or until it starts to smoke slightly then add my steaks. Highest heat essential here. For the first minute I wont touch them. After 1 min I will check how they are doing if they are a nice brown colour I will turn them, if not another 30 secs is normally good. I repeat this process until I see the blood pierce the surface, at this point I turn the pan off and allow the steaks to rest in the pan. Sometimes I cover the pan with a lid or tin foil, if the steaks are really thick if not I don't bother.

Just before serving I spoon over some of those juices from the pan.

What do you think?

What do you do?

Soldato
Steaks out of fridge maybe 15 mins prior
Turn on pan (some modern tefal non stick thing) high heat
Prep steaks. Splash of groundnut oil, spread with pastry brush. Season to taste.
When pan is smoking steaks in oil side down. Start timing - the steaks I use 3 mins per side gets mine where I like it.
Add oil to top surface, spread with pastry brush.
3 mins passed? Turn steak.
Wait 3 more minutes.
Sear edges of needed. Remove from pan.
Place on plate. Add veg/chips/egg and serve.

No checking out every few mins. That's just nonsense.

Soldato
Try using butter and turning every 60 seconds. The steak should rest before being served. Since the oven is already in use cooking the oven chips, I pour boiling water into a saucepan and put a plate on top with the covered steak. The whole goes into an enclosed space - my microwave (which remains off).

I make mean Diane and Bearnaise sauces.

Soldato
I usually have a ribeye, I put the pan on to a Medium to high heat with a little oil, I don’t bother letting the steak warm up , straight from fridge to pan and cook 2 - 3 mins a side depending on the thickness - remove and wrap in foil, rest for a few minutes, drain juices back into pan and reduce down until syrup like, pour over steak

I’ve tried most methods but the end result in flavour and texture is not that different to the above so i just do what’s easiest

I’ve tried cheap and premium steak too yet I find Aldi’s ribeye decent for the price

Sgarrista
Commissario
Also a ribeye or fillet here, from a local butcher where you can inspect the general slab of meat before the specific cuts are taken off it (great as while I like some fat, I prefer a leaner cut than most) and pick the one that suits your tastes best.

Cooking wise, I keep it really simple

1) Steak out fridge and put in the (off) oven in the morning to allow it to come upto temp over the day
2) Usually melt some butter or apply olive oil both sides
3) Skillet on BBQ and brought up to temperature
4) Steak plonked on and left a couple of minutes
5) Flip to the other side couple of minutes
6) Off heat and eat

I see so many steaks ruined by people over-doing it with all sorts of rubs and mixtures and other crap, save that for the tough cuts, a good steaks best flavor is from itself, not the junk you apply to it.

Currently enjoying some sublime welsh black. Waiting for the venison to start coming in the next few weeks.

Man of Honour
I know there has been a thread on it before but personally I reckon more is in the individual cut than anything else - I've had cheapy ones at home that are as good as anything I've ever had and expensive ones at home that have been bordering on inedible and vice versa and the same at many restaurants, etc.

Bit annoying as a really nice one is one of the better savoury experiences but so often tough bordering on impossible to eat.

Back
Top Bottom