A good steak at home!!

Caporegime
Liberally salt (ground rock salt or flakes, not table salt) both sides of the steak, and leave on a raised grill tray overnight in the fridge. Turn once in the morning.
When you come to cook in the evening, the outside of the steak will look dry and a bit grim, but all that salt has pulled out moisture, and then has been sucked back in to the steak.
The dry exterior means you get a great char in the pan as the heat isn't fighting against evaporation of the surface moisture. The salt also seems to improve conduction throughout the steak, so it cooks much quicker.
Drop a blob of butter on the top after the last flip, then rest for 5 minutes.

Smash it!

Soldato
I have taken to doing mine in the pizza oven on a cast iron skillet. Get the skillet to about 550c then throw it for a minute or so, turn and repeat.
Tip it out and eat while it's still mooing.

Soldato
If the wife is home, it's a pan fry job. Hers gets 2 mins either side and edge seared. Mine stays on until it simply feels done, usually having a Robertson's Steak & Chops seasoning sprinkled over.
If she's not home, I just whack it under the grill.

Associate
Ribeye or Skirt (depending on when pay day is)

If I have time
pat dry and salt liberally and add pepper and sous vide for 2-3 hours at 50C and then finish on a mega hot wood charcoal fire on the Komado.

If I don't have time
pat dry and salt liberally and sear on a mega hot pan or on the Komado, add pepper and some more salt when resting and serve with toasted sourdough bread.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Freeze the steak for 1hr prior to cooking

Then hit it hard with the heat.

Or a nice reverse sear (this is the only way really)

Soldato
All about pre salting for me, I never order steak out now as pre salting + BBQ cooked is food heaven!

https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/the-food-lab-more-tips-for-perfect-steaks.html

I was waiting for someone to say this. I will go aged ribeye if for one, cote de beouf if sharing. Salt the steaks in the morning, put in the fridge for a couple of hours at leaast (both sides salted), remove about an hour before cooking and then I'll oil the steak and salt pepper. If I cook inside, it'll be dry pan to smoking point and steak in, giving a couple of turns on each side, but first run on each side is enough to get a good colour. Finish it with a couple of cloves of garlic, parsley and butter in the pan, spooned over it to finish. Leave it to rest for 10 mins.
Don't always use a flavoured butter, but nice sometimes. I always pre salt my steaks mind.

So ignoring the seasoning etc as thats personal choice

I am the opposite to what most seem to do here. I like medium rare and was watching a US show where a steak chef (grill chef i think they called it) said most people cook them the wrong way round.
They attempt to cook the steak with too high a heat and you should do the opposite, I tried it and was converted.

So, cook the steak slowly for say 15 minutes on a low heat, basically to get the middle how you want that cooked, remember it will still cook once you remove from the heat so slightly undercook in reality. Then sear the outside for flavour, with literally the highest heat you can achieve.

Use exactly the same approach for burgers, cook them almost all the way with low/medium heat then bang as hot as possible to caramelise the outside.

Soldato
I am the opposite to what most seem to do here. I like medium rare and was watching a US show where a steak chef (grill chef i think they called it) said most people cook them the wrong way round.
The thing about steak is that, however you like it, someone else's preferences are always the right way and yours the wrong... in my house, that attitude just means they go hungry.
Your steak, your choice.

Associate
Freeze the steak for 1hr prior to cooking

Then hit it hard with the heat.

Or a nice reverse sear (this is the only way really)

you're the first person I have ever heard praise this method. Seen experiments on youtube and from what I can see it never turns out as well as a traditionally cooked steak.

Glad you like it though.

Tony

SPG

SPG

Soldato
It was more of an experiment really, a lot of the YouTube stuff uses meat that was quite thick, I did it on some thin Aldi stuff.

Reverse sear though is lovely though, but its not a 3min steak method and I only use when buying some nice stuff as it has to be planned in a little more.

Soldato
I don’t have a sous vide (yet) and tend to reverse sear on the Weber, I’m tempted to try the low temp cook part on the Traeger but wonder if it would add too much smoke!?

Soldato
If im completely honest my absolute favourite way of cooking steak is slow in a stew. Has the bonus of letting you buy tougher but tastier cuts

Back
Top Bottom