A historic guilty thread

Caporegime
You want me to feel guilty for things people I’m not related to did hundreds of years ago? Good luck with that.

Exactly, everyone is likely descended from slaves and slaves, oppressed and oppressors.

Average White British person might well have had ancestors with naff all to do with the transatlantic slave trade. Average African American is a low but double digit % white and very likely in part descended not only from slaves but also slave owners.

Though slavery is something found across most cultures, celts did it, vikings did it, Romans did it, Egyptians did it, Arabs did it, Sub Saharan Africans did it, Native Americans did it etc... Ditto to invading and conquering - literally everyone did that!

The Zulus can invade and conquer lands within the same continent and it’s all cool these days because superficially they’ve got a similar complexion but the descendants of white invaders are bad. Even though in both cases the descendants didn’t choose where they were born and had nothing to do with invading or enslaving anyone.

Caporegime
I heard some Trump sided black dude say....

"Imagine if my ancestors hadn't been scooped up and transported to the USA 200 years ago? id probably be living in some ****hole 3rd world African country, but instead im living in one of the greatest, free-est countries on earth with the most opportunities anyone hardworking is likely to ever get."

Meh whatever it was a good soundbite. He didn't play the victim narrative though so i doubt it will spread far.

Man of Honour
*SNIP*

Sorry, I am not going to be made guilty of the past.

*SNIP*
There is no need to apologise. In my post that you quoted, I was suggesting that demanding guilt was wrong. Look:
There are still issues of racism and sexism in the western world but I would agree that demanding ‘guilt’ for the actions of others, or the assertion that others should feel due shame for purported ‘silent complacency’, is energy that could be far better spent by engaging people (rather attacking them).
I don't know where the rest of your rant came from.

Soldato
Just in case you didn't understand my point. Most people are not racist but a small portion are. Stop seeing racism everywhere.
Of course most people are not racist. I dont see what you think that has to do with anything. Its not about what most people do. Its about what the bad people do or at least its the bad things that some people do. You cant just brush off racism by saying its not most people so dont worry about it.

My point was things which aren't considered racist now either by blacks, whites or any other colour. Times and people change over time.

I've actually been told i don't understand whats happening because i'm white privileged, by another white person :(
If you are refering to blackface, many of us already knew it was racist. What I think you mean is stuff you didnt think or care was racist.

Brexit was a political issue not a racial one. It can not be a color problem because Europeans are white.
The term was used because it was easy and would cause maximum impact.
Yet racist attacks, abuse and rhetoric went up right after the vote. Even Boris jumped on the slightly racist rhetoric as did many Tory MPs.

So the word racist is used when it suits people or can be used as a political tool.
Racism has been used as a political tool and mainly by the right wing.

I have to say I think all this protesting is because of all the racism conected to brexit and its supporters that was brushed over.

Soldato
Just think how many people religious people have killed throughout time in the name of religion. How about churches, should we take them down?

Soldato
Depends if there was something in it for me ;) Can I claim compensation or get my self on a special list for favourable treatment? If so sign me up! I'm looking at you Vikings, Norman's, Romans and Barbary Pirates. There's a few chances at the historical lottery, must be a winner somewhere in there?

In all seriousness if we start playing you great, great, great grandad treated my great, great, great grandad badly all it will do is cause us to fall out when we could be friends and enjoy the here and now ;)

Associate

"Imagine if my ancestors hadn't been scooped up and transported to the USA 200 years ago? id probably be living in some ****hole 3rd world African country, but instead im living in one of the greatest, free-est countries on earth with the most opportunities anyone hardworking is likely to ever get."

Meh whatever it was a good soundbite. He didn't play the victim narrative though so i doubt it will spread far.

I suppose it's making a positive from a negative - but mainly it would be good if everyone collectively acknowledged we are all here now and there is naff all we can do about anything our forefathers did. Let's all live in the present and think about how we can all improve each others lives.

Last edited:
Associate

On a very basic level what he is saying is sort of true, but I have no idea why on Earth he’s saying it. At the very least it’s insensitive and at worst it’s just down right offensive.

It’s me saying: “hey guys, without all this coronavirus malarkey, I would never have been paid by the government for 6 months! Not too bad after all, right?!”

He’s trying to justify the slave trade because now he has a good job? Not sure that’s going to do anything for those still subject to racism.

Nice digs at African countries as well as suggesting that anyone who lives in near poverty is not “hard working”.

Man of Honour
Most people in history have done bad things somewhere along the line.
Especially when judged against the morals of the future. It's easy to say things like "people knew they were doing wrong, it was just more acceptable then" but if people have grown up their whole life indoctrinated a certain way, it influences their morals and ways of thinking. Undoubtedly there will be things we do today that the future will look back on incredulously. They might consider the way we treat animals today akin to the way we consider our ancestors treated black people, but right now a good proportion of the population doesn't bat an eyelid at the idea of killing animals for food. Or perhaps closer to home the way we have such a wide gulf between the people around the world living in abject poverty and yet we sit stuffing our faces while commenting on the internet about some trivial meme.

If I'd grown up in household with a slave, and all the other households I spent time with had slaves, and I never saw people that looked like the slaves who weren't slaves, and there was no media reporting implying that slavery was anything but perfectly normal and acceptable, it would seem very natural to me (assuming they were not subject to physical abuse and suchlike, but even then, if I witnessed it consistently from a very young age, who knows).

Last edited:
Permabanned
Try joining in a BLM tweet and yes some do!

Side not I don’t think the organisation BLM knows what equality is!

They are not for equality, BLM leaders are supremacist group but people will not say it as they would be accused of being racist.

BLM want to delete history and want black people to be the dominant race can be back up by their speech’s back 5 years ago.

If they wanted to fight for equality there are many ways of doing it.

BLM are making race relations worse, are using bias stats and forgetting that whites have been killed by the police.

The last killing was not a racial one, they both knew each other and were always in each other’s face.

I reckoned the police officer didn’t want to kill the man but punish him and was over zealous which lead to the killing. Everyone has been in a similar position when they have been angry.

This can be backup by his face gesture, there was no indication of pleasure which would be an indicator for accidental death.

Last edited:
Permabanned
They have undone any equality gained over the last few years.

Well done you have increased the division

*So clap*
They have destroyed equally and race relations by far. When people sit back and start to think and watch events they will get angry.

As someone said before why would you want to hire a black person now if they are going to use the race card at every opportunity. People do not want the hassle of dealing with situations that may put them in a future legal situation.

Caporegime
I think it's hilarious. There is no end to the levels that perusing crap like this could go.

Blackwall tunnel, black heath, black head, black birds, all signs of oppression... To someone.

Soldato
Serious question, are there any decent places to move to that still practice common sense? I'm pretty much done with this country.

Back
Top Bottom