** A NEW BEST SUB £300 CARD? AMD 290X 8GB!! **

How does the MSI cooler compare to the Vapor-X? Is there much in it? I'm assuming the cards in general would perform the same? Temps would be a concern for me in X-Fire, as I've seen some people complaining of the top card getting very hot with any CF set-up.

The Vapor-X is at the very top of the cooling tree tbh m8, and I've read that although the MSI isn't as good it IS quieter (so you could feasibly run it at 100% fan and still have reasonable temps and fan-noise). Not looked a great deal into it personally, but if I was buying a pair of 8GB myself I'd probably pluck for a pair of the PCS+ cards which are only £12 more :cool:

The Vapor-X is at the very top of the cooling tree tbh m8, and I've read that although the MSI isn't as good it IS quieter (so you could feasibly run it at 100% fan and still have reasonable temps and fan-noise). Not looked a great deal into it personally, but if I was buying a pair of 8GB myself I'd probably pluck for a pair of the PCS+ cards which are only £12 more :cool:
They're 3-slot though, so might be a squeeze... and the closer they are, the more issues you'd have with temps/cooling I imagine.

I have a gaming edition 280x and the fans are deffo "whoosh-ier" at full load. Not silent at all.

MSI Radeon R9 290X Gaming Edition 8192MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card @ £299.99 inc VAT

would this work on asus Z97-ar motherboard with a 750W Corsair RM Series, Full Modular, 80PLUS Gold with i7 4790K without any problems and if I was going to run 2 would I need to upgrade PSU ? thanks for any help on this sorry for got to ask which 1

Last edited:
MSI Radeon R9 290X Gaming Edition 8192MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card @ £299.99 inc VAT

would this work on asus Z97-ar motherboard with a 750W Corsair RM Series, Full Modular, 80PLUS Gold with i7 4790K without any problems and if I was going to run 2 would I need to upgrade PSU ? thanks for any help on this sorry for got to ask which 1

One would be fine m8, two might struggle. They're very powerful and hungry cards you see :cool:

They just *might* though...

Maybe go for this one.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-019-SF&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=2057

It's only £10 more than the RM 750W. (Superflower 850W)

Hi guys new on here and it's my first post so once again, hello to all.
I've recently build my first gaming pc on a tight budget and i've been using ocuk for the past year or so. I'm using an Fx-4 ( which i paid 60 for on black friday ) oc'd to a very stable 4.3Ghz. Just enough to power my games ( Assetto Corsa/ PCars/ GTA series etc anything with driving basically ) using msi gtx 970 gaming 4GB ( 3.5GB :-( )
Performance has been topnotch, Ultra everything accept reflection quality but on my 1080p lcd tv. I'm obviously planning on going 4k as 60hz smart 4k tv's are now sub 500 (lg one on richer sounds 42 inch i think).
If thats good enough for pc gaming also ( not looked that deep into it yet so maybe somebody on here could tell me? ) I was gonna get another ( 970 ), but now i'm returning it, and i'm either going for the msi radeon r9 290x 8gb x 2 (£598) or waiting for radeon 380x.
So what do you guys think?

Hi guys new on here and it's my first post so once again, hello to all.
I've recently build my first gaming pc on a tight budget and i've been using ocuk for the past year or so. I'm using an Fx-4 ( which i paid 60 for on black friday ) oc'd to a very stable 4.3Ghz. Just enough to power my games ( Assetto Corsa/ PCars/ GTA series etc anything with driving basically ) using msi gtx 970 gaming 4GB ( 3.5GB :-( )
Performance has been topnotch, Ultra everything accept reflection quality but on my 1080p lcd tv. I'm obviously planning on going 4k as 60hz smart 4k tv's are now sub 500 (lg one on richer sounds 42 inch i think).
If thats good enough for pc gaming also ( not looked that deep into it yet so maybe somebody on here could tell me? ) I was gonna get another ( 970 ), but now i'm returning it, and i'm either going for the msi radeon r9 290x 8gb x 2 (£598) or waiting for radeon 380x.
So what do you guys think?
Hello. You will find with TV's like that (pretty much all TV's in fact), the response times are quite poor, so you will invariably encounter a lot more blurring than you will on a good PC monitor. There's a reason they're sub £500, and it's fine for TV/film watching, but not so much for games... just so you're aware. For 4K, the 8GB cards are a good choice, but as you haven't got a 4K monitor yet, I'd perhaps wait and see what the 3xx series brings. Your 970 is fine for 1080p, and will be for some time. You can of course return it now if you wish, but short of getting a second hand card to tide you over, it wouldn't necessarily leave you any better off.

Furthermore, to be honest, it's hard to thoroughly recommend anyone jump on the 4K bandwagon just yet. If you're hell bent on it, there are some good options, but monitor tech is changing all the time, with new models being announced every other month it seems. Plus GPU tech isn't quite there yet... sure it will run, and pretty well in most cases, but even with x2 8GB cards, the frame rate in the AAA titles is hardly mind-blowing. We really need a single card solution so 4K runs smoothly with that, which will then only be enhanced and improved with a second... not relying on that second card to even get it running smoothly, as we do now! Just worth thinking about anyway.

:)

Last edited:
Thanks @Legend. Didn't think those 500 TV's would be good enough and now i know why. Not that bothered about 4k really as i forgot to mention i'll be getting Oculus Rift once released ( I don't know the spec to that either yet but i think its same as 4k except more like 1080@120/144 hz x 2 ) Will still definitely return gtx 970 before end of feb ( its the principle ) and go to team red. I can get a cheap card and pass it over to my son's (5yrs old) little pc, currently it has integrated gfx. So it wouldn't go wasted.
Think i'll wait for 22nm and 3xx. cheers guys

Just stumbled on this offer and it piqued my interested. I'm just planning a new build after being out of the scene for quite a while.

So one (possibly stupid :rolleyes:) question - why would this not be good as a single card option?

Surely the newer games with all their trickery maxed out are getting close to, if not breaking the 4GB barrier even at 1080p so why would more memory not be a good thing?

This isn't me trying to pick holes in that advice just genuinely looking for advice myself so that I don't make a duff purchasing choice!

Cheers

Just stumbled on this offer and it piqued my interested. I'm just planning a new build after being out of the scene for quite a while.

So one (possibly stupid :rolleyes:) question - why would this not be good as a single card option?

Surely the newer games with all their trickery maxed out are getting close to, if not breaking the 4GB barrier even at 1080p so why would more memory not be a good thing?

This isn't me trying to pick holes in that advice just genuinely looking for advice myself so that I don't make a duff purchasing choice!

Cheers

I Agree with you. 8gb is a great singler card option. Take what people say with a pinch of salt though. There's Nvidia/Intel fanboy everywhere lol

I don't think anything breaks 4gb at 1080p. I've not run out of ram at 4k yet. ~Turning on 4xAA would be slow with all games that use that amount of memory anyway. I prefer the look of clean non AA for 4k.

Mordor is fine for me at 4k ultra textures. It doesn't stutter and manages the memory nicely. Maybe it's just the 295x2 is a good card for caching memory. skyrim with mods too - really good at hitting 4gb at 4k but easily able to load in and out without stutter as it just reserves all the 4gb for no reason really.

Cheers

I think the reason is that generally by the time you've run out of VRAM the card has run out of grunt anyway. So you may have to turn settings down to run these newer games at the settings that would use all the VRAM, which might possibly mean that the game no longer uses the extra VRAM.

So just because a card has 8GB VRAM it doesn't mean it'll be able to run BF4 @ 4K with 60fps. 1080p will be less demanding so you're less likely to run out of grunt, but you're also less likely to run out of VRAM.

So it may be worth saving money getting a 4GB.

Back
Top Bottom