A Scania HGV "review" - 10 years after the last one!

Soldato
Have Scania finally gotten rid of the Dipstick ?

It looks like they've also (finally) installed a digital speedo although it looks a bit tiny !

Our Fleet Manager might make his mind up sooner or later. We were a mix of Renault & Scanias but changed to all Merc. Now they are talking about going all Scania.

As long as they're clean and got a good sound system I don't care what Marque they are although it has to be said that the old Renault Premiums were an awesome worktool. ALL our drivers want those back again !

Caporegime
OP
One thing I've always wondered with trucks automatic braking systems, can it tell the trailer is loaded with 44 tons of steel and not slam the brakes on in an emergency?
The trailer has a load sensor which regulates air pressure to the brakes so when it’s empty it applies far less brake pressure than when it’s loaded.
The tractor (well, some) have on board weight sensors so it knows as well how much weight it’s pulling and regulated the brake pressure accordingly.

Basically the truck knows if it’s loaded or not but not what type of load, that’s down to the driver.

Scania Interiors are they all developed in house or taken from other marques? GM etc?
In house so far as I’m aware.

Is that Browns between Longport and Tunstall? I cycled past there along the canal earlier today. Nice cab, love the interior lighting. Gotta say, trucks have come a long way since my Uncle was driving his Foden and then Volvo back in the day.
Yes, at Ravensdale next to Johnson Tiles.

Looks very smart, although it doesn't look like it has xenons fitted? My father in-laws is a semi retired driver (retired this year) and hehes quite chilled out with his driving, I think he finds it quite therapeutic. I've always wondered why 24c rather than 12 though, is it just to reduce current/cable size?
Not Xeon lights as far as I can tell although they are very good regardless.

24V is to provide the current requirements of the truck, for example if you park in a lay-by that’s not got a kerb separating it from the road your supposed to leave your side lights on after dusk even if your parking up for the night - I’ve had a ticket in the past for not doing so - so it needs enough power to run the lights all night then turn over and start a 13.6litre engine!

You also have to run auxiliary equipment off the batteries like tail lifts etc, it all takes a lot of power.

Scania have come a long way even in the past 4-5 years. Long gone are the days when everyone hated them for their scary brakes. :p
Genuinely surprised to read that, I’ve always found the brakes to be excellent (the first Scania I drove was a 1991 example)
If anything they’ve previously had a lot of criticism for poor seats which was warranted imo although the seats in this are excellent with great adjustment and lumbar support so they’ve sorted that at long last.

I’d love to have a go in something like this! Wonder if anyone does a ‘track day’ for trucks?!
Must admit I like this new generation of Scania but always loved the Volvo FH.
Mentioning the V8s, there is a truck by where I work that has been ‘tuned’ as the V8s seem to be.
Guess it has the equivalent of a sports exhaust and sounds pretty nice.
Can’t remember what company it is that runs it but they are a blue livery with matching trailers.
Think they also have a bonneted Scania as well.
It’s probably had a remap along with an aftermarket exhaust system which ups the volume and makes the V8 especially sound epic...
Like this by any chance?
The pull away sound @1:05 I never tire of! :cool:

[expected to see some top gear steppenwolf on the playlist ? ... daren't reload previous page again system might die,
also
I did n't spot a dash-cam - maybe there was a tyre iron though ]

Look smart - yes ...

Is the emergency braking up there with Volvo ? this impressive utube still sticks in my mind Volvo truck emergency braking system - How it Works but maybe that had little load

How many miles do you get from tyres on a driven axle ? are you changing once a month.
It’s got a dash cam (on the first page which is a wall of pictures I grant you)
The emergency braking is as good as Volvo’s, yes, but you have to remember it’s great on a test track with a bolted down test weight, very different with a conventional load that would move under such harsh braking, I had the system activated by a van cutting me up when at Stobarts, it braked violently and did stop me but the 26pallets of soft drinks on the trailer ended up being shot forward, the front four pallets were effectively crushed by the rest of the load behind them, damaged the trailer bulkhead too!
It’s a fantastic system though but not infallible!

As for tyre life, dependent on type of use, you can realistically expect 40-50k miles from drive axle tyres, longer for trailer tyres depending on how many times the trailer is “spun around” in a 180 degree turn with weight on which ruins the tyres as you can imagine!

Once the tyre is at the legal limit most are “regroovable” meaning a tyre fitter will cut new tread patterns into the tyre and its reused - but never on a steering axle - which increases the life further.

Have Scania finally gotten rid of the Dipstick ?

It looks like they've also (finally) installed a digital speedo although it looks a bit tiny !

Our Fleet Manager might make his mind up sooner or later. We were a mix of Renault & Scanias but changed to all Merc. Now they are talking about going all Scania.

As long as they're clean and got a good sound system I don't care what Marque they are although it has to be said that the old Renault Premiums were an awesome worktool. ALL our drivers want those back again !
Yes, the dipstick is no more (although a few still to be found in the drivers seat :D)
When I first got it, I was doing my daily checks and was somewhat puzzled that I couldn’t find it, you’ve got to delve into the on board computer for a start up checklist now to determine the level.
LntyH0y.jpg
The digital Speedo is there but you can turn it off if required.

This has got the premium entertainment setup which is a cost option but persuade your guy to work them into the deal, well worth it, the sound quality is fantastic - won’t go quite as loud as I’d like but hey ho.
Think you’ll like them, imo there a lot better than current Mercs, don’t know about the current Renaults but do have fond memories of the old Premium, takes me back! :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
What's the 0-56 time do you reckon?

No idea tbh, low teens maybe? perhaps a little more.

The trouble is without a trailer on the back it’ll lose grip and the TC kicks in not to mention getting a quick off the line start would mean pulling away in a higher gear than it would want to which is really not good for the clutch.

Usually you get it rolling then hoof it at say 5-10mph if you see what I mean, trying to hard launch ~8 tons off the line from a standing start is a sure fire way of snapping a half shaft, destroying the clutch / gearbox or all three.

Soldato
That looks really impressive! Do you drive just within the UK? How many miles would the Scania be good for, and when would it be chopped in?

10mpg sounds very good for a vehicle of that size and weight.

Caporegime
OP
That looks really impressive! Do you drive just within the UK? How many miles would the Scania be good for, and when would it be chopped in?

10mpg sounds very good for a vehicle of that size and weight.
I just drive within the U.K.

Depending on use, at least a million KM, I know of an ex Stobart Scania that I see traveling around to this day that’s nearing 3million! and I know of an ex Stobart Volvo that’s done a lot more than that.

Browns keep them 3years (on lease) then they go back, the 15plates that we recently changed were all around 400k km when they went back, they were then sold as approved used through the Scania dealer network.

We have some MAN trucks which are 2010/2011 reg - and owned outright rather than leased- and at the end of their life which is anywhere between 1-1.5m Km they simply get scrapped because they are effectively worthless!

I know some of the more well regarded hgv brands like Scania, Volvo and to a degree Mercedes (but their reputation these days is nothing compared to that of old) are exported to Africa where they have all of the emission control systems removed (!) and they then carry on working out there.

You have to remember though unlike cars which tend to be serviced annually at best if at all, an hgv goes for mandatory inspections and servicing and if something needs doing it’s done or the truck is illegal!
Inspection intervals vary between every 4 to 13 weeks depending on what type of work the vehicle does, a lightly loaded truck will require every 13 weeks, one that does constant heavy work will vary between 4-8weeks depending on miles covered and anything over 12 years old has 6 weekly inspections regardless of its work.
A similar regime is in place for servicing.
And everything has to be documented and records kept for years and rightly so, a poorly maintained vehicle is dangerous especially a heavy one!

As for fuel, they are remarkably efficient - relatively very much more so than most cars when you consider the size, weight, engine size and relative lack of aerodynamics.

An average car these days will achieve say 45mpg and weigh 1.5ton and be nice and aerodynamic, a 44ton full size artic weighs 29times that, usually is at least 13ft high, and has the aerodynamic properties of a small building yet can average say 8-9mpg constantly running at that weight, around towns it’s lower on motorways and A-roads higher, still, it puts cars to shame imo.

Running lightly loaded (say a trailer full of packaging material like Jiffy bags and bubble wrap) you can get upto 15mpg with a steady right foot!

Last edited:
Soldato
I used to pull a 15"9 Tautliner carrying empty plastic ketchup bottles with a 325 ERF Eaton Twin Split and when it was windy I would only get about 6 mpg !!

Quite amazing we now run 450's and get 10 mpg ! (albeit with low fridge trailers)

btw.. Next time your runing fully freighted up somewhere like Hartshead moor hill select mpg and have a heart attack what mpg you are getting at max power.

It'll be about 2 mpg !!

Soldato
I just drive within the U.K.

Depending on use, at least a million KM, I know of an ex Stobart Scania that I see traveling around to this day that’s nearing 3million! and I know of an ex Stobart Volvo that’s done a lot more than that.

Browns keep them 3years (on lease) then they go back, the 15plates that we recently changed were all around 400k km when they went back, they were then sold as approved used through the Scania dealer network.

We have some MAN trucks which are 2010/2011 reg - and owned outright rather than leased- and at the end of their life which is anywhere between 1-1.5m Km they simply get scrapped because they are effectively worthless!

I know some of the more well regarded hgv brands like Scania, Volvo and to a degree Mercedes (but their reputation these days is nothing compared to that of old) are exported to Africa where they have all of the emission control systems removed (!) and they then carry on working out there.

You have to remember though unlike cars which tend to be serviced annually at best if at all, an hgv goes for mandatory inspections and servicing and if something needs doing it’s done or the truck is illegal!
Inspection intervals vary between every 4 to 13 weeks depending on what type of work the vehicle does, a lightly loaded truck will require every 13 weeks, one that does constant heavy work will vary between 4-8weeks depending on miles covered and anything over 12 years old has 6 weekly inspections regardless of its work.
A similar regime is in place for servicing.
And everything has to be documented and records kept for years and rightly so, a poorly maintained vehicle is dangerous especially a heavy one!

As for fuel, they are remarkably efficient - relatively very much more so than most cars when you consider the size, weight, engine size and relative lack of aerodynamics.

An average car these days will achieve say 45mpg and weigh 1.5ton and be nice and aerodynamic, a 44ton full size artic weighs 29times that, usually is at least 13ft high, and has the aerodynamic properties of a small building yet can average say 8-9mph constantly running at that weight, around towns it’s lower on motorways and A-roads higher, still, it puts cars to shame imo.

Running lightly loaded (say a trailer full of packaging material like Jiffy bags and bubble wrap) you can get upto 15mpg with a steady right foot!
I'd imagine every month or 2 might equate to 10,000 miles anyway.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Scania, i see that your speedometer and fuel consumption are imperial units (Miles per hour/Gallon) but the Odometers all seem to be in metric KM. Why is this?

Interesting thread, i would never normally see into a truck cab.

Caporegime
OP
Fuel pumps etc require metric to be entered but we set the mpg to imperial because we understand it better !
Pretty much this.

Tachographs are in KM by default and as such all related paperwork is in KM too, so we record everything in KM but the Mk1 human brain (in the U.K. at least) understands miles better. :)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Pretty much this.

Tachographs are in KM by default and as such all related paperwork is in KM too, so we record everything in KM but the Mk1 human brain (in the U.K. at least) understands miles better. :)
European regulations mandate this?

Caporegime
OP
I had a choice wagon t'other night.

13 plate (440) Scania.. I didn't know we even had any left that old !

cQEq1XMl.jpg

Oh.. Latest Stobart Calendar is out !!

;)

nWSMQHRl.jpg
580k Miles, pretty much average for such an age, we’re it a car of any vintage it would be remarkable - the difference between mandatory servicing and repair as opposed to when the owner chooses or can afford to do it!

As for the calendar, touché! :D

Soldato
Think this is the reason but to be fair tachographs have shown KM since their introduction decades back, where the stipulation for KM comes from I couldn’t say tbh.

Indeed. Even the old Wax Chart Heads were in Km but had Miles in smaller writing on the inside (analogue head units.)

We've always known 100Km/h is 62mph, 90Km/h is 56 mph 80 Km/h is 50mph and 65Km/h is 40mph. It's been like that since I started trucking in 1985 and When I lived in Western Australia they are metric anyway so I had a bit of an advantage so to speak !

Back
Top Bottom