A thread with photos and things.

Caporegime
Same with me too and some other photo mates too based on somewhat recent discussions!

But I kept them because they still work as photographs and are of /a moment/ of that day, even if they’re not the sharpest/technical of shots :p

It's not the fact it's not sharp or anything...I'm just a firm believer that if you're going to include their face...then include THE face, not 45% of it :p

Anyway. Providing the client is happy, that's all that matters. :)

Man of Honour
OP
A few from the weekend up at EastHampstead Park.

A26A4689.jpg

A26A4704.jpg

A26A4777.jpg

A26A4877.jpg

A26A5107.jpg

A26A5410.jpg

A26A4953.jpg

Thinking back now, I hope I get more at that venue, there is so much potential for dusk and night time shots but our day was finished by half 8 and it was still bright out. Another day perhaps!

Man of Honour
OP
“When you photograph people in color, you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in Black and white, you photograph their souls!”
― Ted Grant

:D

Last edited:
Soldato
One of my favourite shots this season.

I used the MagMod kit for illumination on this. Maggrid and MagSphere used in combination.

Love this! How are you getting on with the MagSphere - I keep thinking about picking one up but the cost including shipping from the US is rather high. Is it worth it?

Man of Honour
OP
I'm not sure if I can answer that question for you fully really as I haven't used it enough yet for the cost to be justified, though my price was a bit lower due to the kickstarter bundle I guess. The venue locations and scenario to use it just hasn't popped up e ough yet but there's still half a year left of shoots so who knows :p

For my intended uses it was an asset worth having to give a new dynamic to my work I guess, but we all know I just live new gadgets let's be honest :D

I was reading Petapixel the other day where a photographer uses off camera flash for street portraits of the homeless, he uses a boom pole with a strobe attached and softboxes hand held and that gave me an idea. I have a monopod kicking about so can use one of the 600RTs with the MagSphere attached to do the same thing during the next London Street walkabout.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah ok thanks for that.

I'm thinking mainly of speeches and first dance stuff when the light isn't great and I have to resort to using flash. I'm currently using the technique I stole from Ray with 2/3 off-camera flashes on stands in manual and one on the hotshoe in ETTL. This works well most of the time but, when I don't have a good bounce option for the on-camera one I end up with it pointing forward which can give some harsh highlights at times. Just wondering whether to get something to soften that a bit.

Man of Honour
OP
Ah yes the first dance I've used it for a few weddings now and it's been good. Never used flash for speeches though as woa and high iso produced excellent ambient results.

An example of first dance using it:

*Edit*
Link fixed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice :) Yeah I generally don't use flash for speeches but the venue on Saturday was seriously dingy and the only (small) windows were right behind the speakers which didn't help.

Soldato
Some great work in this thread. Some of the stuff a few pages back is brilliant. I'm soon to be getting on the first rung of the ladder with photography and I have a lot to learn. This thread (and a couple of others - I'm looking at you TB and Phal) are great inspiration.

Back
Top Bottom