A thread with photos and things.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Cheers! If I had 10+ weddings I'd be over the moon, but I am just one guy :( :p

Some great work in this thread. Some of the stuff a few pages back is brilliant. I'm soon to be getting on the first rung of the ladder with photography and I have a lot to learn. This thread (and a couple of others - I'm looking at you TB and Phal) are great inspiration.

The learning never stops! That's what keeps it so interesting and varied for me. You also tend to look back, even as early as a year at your own work and go "that's shocking wtf was I thinking!" to some images :o

Wouldn't be fun if it was easy sailing I suppose!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Out of curiosity I browsed back to 2007, roughly when I first started out as an apprentice beside a venture photographer colleague when he'd shoot weddings.

This was what I had output back then!

IMG_2722.jpg

:o

I was curious because I saw this friend recently and had a catch up, he's not doing weddings any more and instead running his own little thing photographing wrestling stars. his work is really striking, the same reason I was inspired by his work back then, I am now inspired by the current stuff he's doing.

I have something in mind as to where I want to take my shooting though, I think, but it requires more time to get things in motion and get it right. I plan on toning down the number of solo weddings I shoot and focusing on project work more.over the next couple of years though to aid this.

Anyway, a few more pics that have been processed, and some not yet posted!

_26A9041.jpg

2_26A9364.jpg

2_26A0055.jpg

2_26A9506.jpg

_26A8166-2.jpg

_26A8138_2.jpg

2_26A8501.jpg

2_26A8578.jpg

_26A8992.jpg

_26A9095.jpg

_26A9314.jpg

_26A9776.jpg

And a little something else:

2-Nato_rhino__26A0294.jpg

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Since 2006. It started out with boredome, and around that time digicams were up and coming, I'd saved some part time job money while at college so bought a Jenoptik 1.3MP camera :D

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
I am off to Canada on Friday for a week, I have loads of plans to photograph stuff, though I imagine as is usually the case, will only have time to do 10% of them lol.

For now, I leave you with another boring watch photo :p

Taken with the Sigma 35mm with window light. This lens has been used more than any other lens I have owned to date now I reckon. The lens hood has started to get loose when attached!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
So I've been busy, walking in 30 degrees+ at night for hours :eek: - Walked over 10 miles that day but boy was it worth it. Met some really interesting people and saw the busier side to Toronto/Ontario.

^ ISO 5000 @ f1.4 (1/50s) :eek:

20150830-_26A1541.jpg

20150830-_26A1551.jpg

20150830-_26A1593.jpg

20150830-_26A1604.jpg

20150830-_26A2447.jpg

20150830-_26A2119.jpg

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Back to exploring japes this weekend, met up with the team to hit 2 locations with successful results.

All shot with the Tamron 15-30mm 2.8 VC.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Back to weddings!

One of the most enjoyable UK wedding shoots to date for sure, nice group of people, young at heart whatever the age. A few niggles with power at the venue (cut-outs! :eek:) but everyone handled it pretty well.

I have the same venue to look forward to next year, I need to advise the couple to invest in portable heaters for the guests as apparently this venue has always been flaky!

20151017-_26A7696_Edit_1024.jpg

20151017-_26A7906.jpg

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
First wedding with some sweet tattoos this week :cool:

And some rim lighting from several weeks back.

As well as some lols

Last edited:
Associate
Stunning stuff.

I really feel out of place commenting on your work, but wouldn't the one one with rim lighting benefit from darkening the cars in the background out?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Not a problem at all and thanks! This is why forums are great for this kind of thing. People will spot things often missed :)

I agree, and have made changes! I also darkened the fade a bit to be more pleasing. When I edited that shot I was in the dark, but in the light it looks better with less fade I think.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
I have posted a lot of wedding photos as of late, and not had a chance to actually travel and explore. So the past few weeks have given me the opportunity to do just that!

As per the motors forum, some of you may have seen our epic Scottish road trip adventure, here are a few of those photos :)

I've seen the Northern Lights four nights in a row, shot a wedding in an ice chapel, tasted dry snowy air at -31 degrees centigrade and explored deep caves... Yet the Highlands of Scotland were a totally awe inspiring experience all in themselves.

I also went to France for a friend's wedding this weekend, and did some local exploring during my stay.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
I forgot about this thread! Two years.....

Anyway, a little update on some side projects I'm working on to build experience, and bring aboard a small network of professionals into the south coast who work to help each other out and in turn bring clients to each other.

It all started when I shot a work colleague's wedding, we're pretty close friends now so I proposed the idea of bridal wear portraiture and if she'd be willing to model for me, she agreed having never done anything like that before, but she does have a certain look and style that works really well. Anyway, fast forward a couple of months and the first trial shoot is out the way, spent a couple of hours at a venue I've shot at before, and they provided the suites for free in return for a copy of the images for their social media/website etc.

Fast forward again to this week and I shot a recent wedding where the make-up artist was in fact the same one who did my friend's make-up on her wedding day, a very popular MUA too! I spent the morning of the recent wedding at the MUA's studio getting the morning prep shots, really nice place, French jazz playing, totally mellow. She really liked the teasers I posted up and asked if I'd pop in to shoot more of her work and that she'd pay. Explained the project I'm doing and how I envision this type of networking going forwards, and now she's on-board with free make-up for it as well.

I'm really quite chuffed, I knew it would take time to kick this venture off, but things have been falling into place nicely and rather quickly too. It's a beautiful way to try new ideas and techniques from all involved and work together, which is what it is all about. I've seen so many wedding photographers who come to a shoot, do their thing, then move on and that's them done. I like to be way more one-to-one with not only clients abut the other professionals I'm working alongside.

Anyway, I've probably bored you all with passages of text :D So to make up for it, here are a selection of my favourite shots as of late.

Caporegime
I recognise that lighthouse anywhere! Portland Bill. Portland is an amazing place for photography. I like the views over Chesil Beach. Good place to better yourself as a budding photographer. There’s so much photography done there that you really need to produce something special to stand out.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
First time I'd ever been there. A bunch of us went for a photo day out and I took a few photos. This year I've penned down as the year I go out and do more landscape photography, as I neglected it last year. More astrophotography especially as I have free travel to the Isle of Wight, so should really make the most of it!

Back
Top Bottom