• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

A Week With NVIDIA's G-SYNC Monitor

When they film it at 1600 fps, it is very apparent that the V-Sync, triple buffer's is causing stutter (you count 1, 2, 3 and pause). Like I said earlier, we know it is there but we accept it because we are used to it and believed it is how it is and nothing we could do about it.

I'm just going by what the presenter said in the video which Tom Petersen said in the video that Vsync was silky smooth as you hold 60fps and that Gsync gives you just that as well.

Also watched the other Video explaining the Vsync 1, 2 pause=same image twice, 3, which happens IF the buffer misses the 16ms window because it took longer to draw in the buffer which the higher up the GPU scale you go the less that is going to happen as long as you have more than enough GPU grunt for the the resolutions and settings being played at and that's not taking into account Multi GPU which is even less likely to miss the 16ms window.

They are presenting the worst case scenario for Vsync and the best case for Gsync which would be expected.

But It icould be said that Gsync negates the need for a beefy setup.
But while Gsync gets rid of tearing without the Input lag, it does not get around the inherent fact of low FPS will be less responses than higher FPS.

Last edited:
Although I understand what people are saying about if you have really powerful systems, but to be honest how many of you have these powewrfull systems and don't just turn up the details so your still only just hovering around the 60fps mark.
I know every game I play I turn up the details till it looks as good as it can but remains playable, there is always more settings that can be applied, even if only in the drivers.

Well..

This technology certainly offers an improvement over vsync if your using a mid range GPU. If you have a fast GPU, Ie GTX770 or above or 7970 or above and do you know what happens? The GPUs run fast enough that vsync is always in sync and the difference between the gsync monitors and an expensive lush IPS when you have a decent high end GPU and system is barely noticeable.

I personally would prefer a nice IPS over an TN panel as most if its use isnt going to used for gaming.

£400 for a TN monitor regardless of the technology is just too high in my opinion. If your spending that money on a monitor you have likely spent a fair amount on your GPU and the rest of your system.

If your looking to buy gsync I would wait until the new Benq units come out next year, far better price than £400 which makes the technology a much nicer proposal.

In the mean time, AMD may have something around the corner and you can mine on them where as the nvidia units you cant so perhaps it is worth seeing what they have coming to the table before making a commitment?

This coming from a 780-ti sli owner ;)

Well..

This technology certainly offers an improvement over vsync if your using a mid range GPU. If you have a fast GPU, Ie GTX770 or above or 7970 or above and do you know what happens? The GPUs run fast enough that vsync is always in sync and the difference between the gsync monitors and an expensive lush IPS when you have a decent high end GPU and system is barely noticeable.

I personally would prefer a nice IPS over an TN panel as most if its use isnt going to used for gaming.

£400 for a TN monitor regardless of the technology is just too high in my opinion. If your spending that money on a monitor you have likely spent a fair amount on your GPU and the rest of your system.

If your looking to buy gsync I would wait until the new Benq units come out next year, far better price than £400 which makes the technology a much nicer proposal.

In the mean time, AMD may have something around the corner and you can mine on them where as the nvidia units you cant so perhaps it is worth seeing what they have coming to the table before making a commitment?

Sounds legit. I'm interested to see AMD's version after Gibbo hinted it could be free.

Man, same monitor on here without GSync is 299.99

So they want a 141 premium just for the gsync

I'll pass :o

that is for them to supply the original monitor, plus gsync unit, plus fitting

it only exists because people are asking to get their hands on the units before the final production models exist in channel

as has been mentioned lots of times, the production gsync models from various manufacturers are going to be more like £300

no one is suggesting that everyone rush out and buy £440 TN 1080p 24" monitors - it is supply and demand, people are demanding it so they are willing to supply

it all makes sense now

i wondered why Gibbo and now Andrew were so negative about G-SYNC when they haven't even used

you dont want people to buy the asus you want them to wait for the benq...

i wonder why...

Well..

The sync range on gsync is from 30-144, so for example, bf4 vsync off my frames go as high as 160 & as low as 90 with a pair of 780's. So wouldn't gsync enabled give me a max frame rate of 144 (in the vg248qe's case) without tearing above and stuttering below? Genuine question btw.

As I continue to struggle to get my head around what it does it also strikes me it would be impossible for amd to do something similar for free? As its the monitor timing the frame release not the gpu, gpu still acts as normal throwing frames out at will?

it all makes sense now

i wondered why Gibbo and now Andrew were so negative about G-SYNC when they haven't even used

you dont want people to buy the asus you want them to wait for the benq...

i wonder why...

remember kids, the OCUK forum is a marketing tool, not a general tech forum :D

The sync range on gsync is from 30-144, so for example, bf4 vsync off my frames go as high as 160 & as low as 90 with a pair of 780's. So wouldn't gsync enabled give me a max frame rate of 144 (in the vg248qe's case) without tearing above and stuttering below? Genuine question btw.

As I continue to struggle to get my head around what it does it also strikes me it would be impossible for amd to do something similar for free? As its the monitor timing the frame release not the gpu, gpu still acts as normal throwing frames out at will?

in answer to the first part, yes, you get tearing because the GPU is swapping out the image half way through a refresh and you get a stutter because the screen is using the same image twice (so instead of updating at 6.9ms it falls back to 13.8ms) - gsync eliminates both

in theory a frame rate cap would also stop you getting tearing above 144 though in practice I don't find this to be perfect, I can't play without vsync, it drives me mad

and without more details on AMD's solution it is difficult to tell, but basically yes, to get the monitor to change refresh on a standard controller usually requires a reset, so I am puzzled on how AMD are going to manage this without hardware in the monitor

You're also getting the same (lack) of input lag as you would with v-sync off which is a massive issue if you play online a lot. The more I'm reading, the more i'm interested in it, my main confusion is that people don't "get" it.

and without more details on AMD's solution it is difficult to tell, but basically yes, to get the monitor to change refresh on a standard controller usually requires a reset, so I am puzzled on how AMD are going to manage this without hardware in the monitor
I guess they may simply define an open standard that monitor makers are free to implement themselves without having to pay AMD for either licensing or the actual hardware.

Back
Top Bottom