A Window To Wales

Soldato
Ran a quick test using Project Cars and the temps are crazy compared to my last build. Racing in thunderstorm weather used to have my last rig screaming with the fans going over 1100rpm and the water hitting 40°C+. Gave this one a quick spin with pretty much all settings maxed out and with just the front fans @ 500rpm for CPU and one bottom set running @ 600rpm for GPU the water in the loops hit a max of 24°C and 29°C. Could play in the desert if I turn the other 6 fans on and crank em all up a bit :D

Damn, I miss radiator real estate ! Setting at 32c water temp with a 1070 45c & 7600k @5Ghz 60c

Associate
OP
Damn, I miss radiator real estate ! Setting at 32c water temp with a 1070 45c & 7600k @5Ghz 60c

I knew it would make a massive difference but must admit I was shocked by how low the temps were with half the fans off and the others at stupidly low speeds. Thought I'd still need them all running at 600 - 800rpm when gaming... Quite a pleasant surprise :D

Epic... Congratulations

Thank you, now to get some new games on it and stress that GPU a bit :)

Soldato
I knew it would make a massive difference but must admit I was shocked by how low the temps were with half the fans off and the others at stupidly low speeds. Thought I'd still need them all running at 600 - 800rpm when gaming... Quite a pleasant surprise :D

Thank you, now to get some new games on it and stress that GPU a bit :)

Whats your GPU and CPU temp sitting at under stress ?

Associate
OP
Just ran a quick Prime95 blend test and the CPU hit 54°C with water at 26°C. Valley test for GPU on Ultra setting GPU (+160 core & +500 mem) hit 38°C with water at 28°C :)

Duo

Duo

Associate
I just saw a few pics on the overclockers twitter page of the finished system and just wanted to come say how great the finished system looks.

How does it feel to be finished? How long do you think it will be before you start thinking about a new project or will you keep tweaking this one for a while yet

Associate
OP
I just saw a few pics on the overclockers twitter page of the finished system and just wanted to come say how great the finished system looks.

How does it feel to be finished? How long do you think it will be before you start thinking about a new project or will you keep tweaking this one for a while yet

Thank you very much, those Retweets from OcUK certainly livened my notifications up for a day or 2 :D

I'm more relieved to be finished than anything as this build was delayed so many times by lack of funds, out of stock parts, work getting in the way etc that it was starting to feel like it would never be finished. Glad I stuck with it though as it's a major step up from any builds I've done previously and I learned loads along the way.

I probably won't be doing anything for a while now unfortunately as the missus and bank manager would both murder me, but the next job will probably be using the skills I've learned from this build to update my previous one :)

Duo

Duo

Associate
this build was delayed so many times by lack of funds, out of stock parts, work getting in the way etc

All the setbacks must make it feel all the more rewarding when you do finally get finished tho im sure

the next job will probably be using the skills I've learned from this build to update my previous one :)

What was your previous one? another watercooled project?

Associate
OP
All the setbacks must make it feel all the more rewarding when you do finally get finished tho im sure

What was your previous one? another watercooled project?

It certainly does! My previous one was my first ever attempt at watercooling, which did a lot to prove that with the advice received from guys on here any idiot can do it :D

It was only a very plain and boring build for me to learn from really, but the log is here if you wish to take look anyway :) https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/dripping-with-style-or-floody-disaster.18704583/

Duo

Duo

Associate
Nice, I'll have a look because it has similar components to my current build. I can't help but think my next build will include at least a CPU loop as i keep finding myself researching watercooling recently....Who knows maybe my next build will end up being a full blown project like yours...if it turns out half as good as your window to wales PC i'll certainly be happy.

I like your M.2 heat sink solution btw, a great way to hide the green pcb and make it match the aesthetic of the build.

Associate
OP
This forum is a seriously good place to start if you ever need any help with the watercooling or just the build in general, not sure I'd have managed the first one without the help and advice of folks on here :)

Thanks, they really do look ugly without a heatsink though don't they. If you want a more professional looking M.2 checkout the new TeamGroup Cardea M.2 drive. Only comes in red atm (I think) but far better looking than the usual drives.

Duo

Duo

Associate
I'm currently using a 950 pro and I went for it over the 951 purely because of the black PCB

The TeamGroup Cardea M.2 drive's red heatsink looks like it could easily be pulled off and painted any colour you wanted...

I would not be surprised if coloured M.2 heatsink that you can just buy to stick onto your M.2 stick becomes a thing one day...

Associate
OP
I'm currently using a 950 pro and I went for it over the 951 purely because of the black PCB

The TeamGroup Cardea M.2 drive's red heatsink looks like it could easily be pulled off and painted any colour you wanted...

I would not be surprised if coloured M.2 heatsink that you can just buy to stick onto your M.2 stick becomes a thing one day...

Don't blame you at all for going with the Pro, if I wasn't going to add a heatsink I'd go for a black PCB every time.

I messaged TeamGroup direct to ask and it doesn't look like a green one is on the cards, but as they pointed out I managed to make their RAM white so why can't I make their M.2 green... They have a point! :D

That's actually not a bad money making idea mate. Buy a load of cheap heatsinks off eBay, spray em different colours, add a thermal pad and relist them as M.2 heatsinks for treble the price! Might have to look into that one a bit more... :D

Duo

Duo

Associate
When you're able and willing to put in the time and effort to make it yourself the sky is the limit when it comes to customisation. That's what I like most about custom Pc building, the only thing holding you back is the level of your imagination....O and the depth of your pockets lol

Associate
OP
Was a little bit sceptical at times when following, due to such a large mix of colours and effects. But that said all came together very nicely! Will get a photo up on socials.

That would be awesome, cheers! Was certainly a risky one but I think the quite subtle lighting really helped, if it had been filled with green and white LED's it could have gone a bit '****** up in Blackpool'... He says, with the green and white LED fans and massive lit up dragon :D

Back
Top Bottom