Abit 650i Fatal1ty or QuadGT?

Caporegime
well yes the old, "what mobo" question.

ive identified a need for an abit mobo based upon stability. lack of vdroop and also availability.

I like the look of the Fatal1ty but havent found a review yet. there is also no word whether it support quad/Penryn wheras the QuadGT does.

i dont need SLi, and i dont need RAID.

i just want a rock solid board for an E6400 to oc and have some fun with...

so whats the prognosis?

Don't know anything about the Abit 650i board tbh, but having just looked at a picture, the northbridge cooler is pretty damn tall, I can forsee a lot of incompatability with after-market coolers like the Tuniq/Scythe etc. unless you're willing to swap out the nb heatsink too.

Nickg said:
probably use stock cooler, or AC7 so thats not really an issue.

going with ballstix 2GB kit btw iof that helps

Well i've got the Asus P5N-E SLi and its a cracking overclocker, from the layout I saw in the picture, it looks like both boards are based off reference designs, so the only major differences between the boards will be bios revisions and the stock heatsinks etc.

I'm really not sure how good the abit bios is, thats something you need to look out for...

I use an E6300 with a Tuniq and the main thing thats held me back in overclocks so far is the nb chipset temp at max. So the fact the abit has a big nb heatsink is a plus, I also see that the southbridge has a heatsink too, which is also good.

Tbh, from what I can see it seems like there's little to differentiate between the Abit and the Asus 650i's, the Asus board is tried and tested with oc's on stock air cooling of 3.6GHz, with a good 6400 chip that should be easy as you need a lower FSB than I do with my 6300 due to your multiplier, which would mean your OC would be less dependant on the nb temps, and hence the stock heatsink on the Asus board should be more than sufficient. So my recommendation would be to have a good read of the Asus board thread here: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17668494 and make an informed decision. :)

EvilGrin said:
I'm really not sure how good the abit bios is, thats something you need to look out for...
not exactly as if the Asus BIOS is perfect though ;)
Chances are that they are all going to perform similarly once they dial in the BIOS.

Tbh, from what I can see it seems like there's little to differentiate between the Abit and the Asus 650i's,
The abit does without the Asus' Firewire, serial ports - on the other hand it does have a socketed rather than soldered BIOS chip, more heatsinks, an extra PCI-E x1 & a Molex to boost the PCI-E bus for SLI use.
The Asus also uses a narrower PCB which can result in the right hand side being unsupported (so take care when plugging in ATXPWR etc.).

The Abit, on top of the better cooling, has better components too. Solid capacitors for one thing. Hopefully won't have the same Vdroop as the Asus either. The Northbidge heatsink is smaller than the Asus as well. The sata ports are down in the bottom corner clear of the graphics card slots.

The Abit does'nt support 1333 fsb though, only up to 1066. Don't know if this is fixable with a bios update. It does support the current Quad Core's though. Still can't find any reviews, but then again it was only available today.
Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 Sli

There is also the MSI P6N Sli 650i and the P6N Sli 650i Platinum. The Platinum has the best cooling arrangement i have seen so far on the 650 boards. The standard P6N is widely available but i have'nt seen the Platinum for sale yet.

Gigabyte also has a 650I board due soon but i have'nt even seen that on pre order anywhere.

pastymuncher said:
Gigabyte also has a 650I board due soon but i have'nt even seen that on pre order anywhere.
the couple of places that I have seen have it at ~£115 which is way out of line with the other 650is.

As for 1333fsb support on the abit I suspect that when the CPUs officially launch it will be available - after all it's the same chipset so afaik there is no reason why it shouldn't (unless Intel plays around with VRM etc. again but that would probably catch out the others too).

BUFF said:
the couple of places that I have seen have it at ~£115 which is way out of line with the other 650is.

As for 1333fsb support on the abit I suspect that when the CPUs officially launch it will be available - after all it's the same chipset so afaik there is no reason why it shouldn't (unless Intel plays around with VRM etc. again but that would probably catch out the others too).
Erm it's around £77-82 ish inc vat everywhere where did you get £115 from?
I'm going to get it only if i can be sure the tuniq tower fits though.

Last edited:
Very tempted on the Abit board, just a shame theres no reviews yet. Will be pairing mine with a Tuniq so hopefully the nb heatsink won't obstruct it. I also read that the Tuniq can't be installed so its blowing air towards the back of the case, hopefully this won't a problem with the Abit.

Other than that, so long as the bios isn't pants it looks a decent board.

the surprising thing for me with this mobo is that its not listed on the abit USA website. it only seems to appear (to me) on the UK site...

yet after a full launch you would have thought it would show on both? perhaps thats why there are no reviews if its not being sent out in the usa?

The abit-USA site went down this week (over Chinese New Year holiday) - forum is still down.
I think that it has been restored from an earlier backup as the F-I90HD isn't on it either ...

Back
Top Bottom