Poll: Abortion, Roe v. Wade

What is you're opinion on abortion ?

• Fully pro-life, including Embryo

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Pro-life but exceptions for morning after pill and IUDs

Votes: 25 3.7%
  • Pro-choice but up until heartbeat limit of 6-weeks

Votes: 64 9.6%
  • Pro-choice up to pre-viability limit (based on local legislation)

Votes: 451 67.6%
  • Fully pro-choice until birth

Votes: 110 16.5%

• Total voters
Caporegime
There was a bit of chat about this in the Elon Musk thread so figured I'd start a new thread here as it's rather off-topic to that one.

There is a bit of hysteria in the US at the moment as some landmark supreme court judgment that, until now, has severely limited the ability of states to impose limits on abortion looks set to be overturned or at least greatly diminished. The reason for this is Mississippi has proposed a 15-week limit on abortions.

Now the ruling being overturned doesn't seem to be all that unreasonable, there does seem to be a reasonable argument that it was a stretch, that the constitution doesn't protect this and that this should be down to legislators. There are however some potential bad consequences, at least in the short term, in some states (this has also been overhyped a bit I think) however the majority of the population in the US is in favour of abortions up to a point at least just as most Europeans are.

I'm personally pro-choice/pro-abortion on demand up to some arbitrary pre-viability limit like say 15 weeks then only special exceptions after that point much as the liberal person described by the woman on Bill Maher is here:

I wonder what the general opinion of GD is - perhaps a poll?

options:

fully pro-life including embryos
pro-life but exceptions for morning-after pill and IUDs
pro-choice only up to heartbeat limit <6 weeks
pro-choice up to some pre-viability limit, say 15, 18 weeks etc..
fully pro-choice until birth

****edit - to be clear - the above is re: elective abortions for any reason, abortions for medical issues etc.. are a separate thing/dimension that people might have differing views on/different tolerances beyond general limits.****

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I'm assuming he means up to some viability limit + exemptions for medical conditions etc.. beyond that?

(The poll is really about abortion by choice, I guess exemptions for rape, medical issues etc.. is a separate thing and another dimension to the question rather than another choice/poll option as it's possible to be fully pro-life say including embryos but still be reluctantly approving of abortions in the case of medical emergencies etc..)

Pet Northerner
Don
Why the change in poll option 4 ?

From a time base to mothers medical condition. The latter should be a seperate item if considered necessary

I'm assuming he means up to some viability limit + exemptions for medical conditions etc.. beyond that?

Yes basically that.

For example my niece was viable much later due to her mum having high BP causing her (my niece) to develop much more slowly than a regular pregnancy.

Capodecina
Soldato
I don't know the details of the case much but I imagine religion has a big part to play in this.

The Christian fundies I know are fully pro-life, one of whom said to me abortion was a sin because "we need all the babies".

So I think this is another example of Christian Amuerrica doing it's thing.

Caporegime
OP
I've added an additional otion for pro life unless danger to mother

However this did reset the votes, can people please vote again if possible?

Apologies for breaking it @dowie

Ah, that's a separate issue though, the poll is supposed to be about elective abortions. You could be for or against a medical exemption for any of the 4 options with limits to them including the 6-week limit, the 15-week/pre-viability limit etc..

Soldato
I don't know the details of the case much but I imagine religion has a big part to play in this.

The Christian fundies I know are fully pro-life, one of whom said to me abortion was a sin because "we need all the babies".

So I think this is another example of Christian Amuerrica doing it's thing.
Which is ironic because they really DGAF once the baby is born. No healthcare for instance.

Permabanned
Is there anything stopping women in stringent anti abortion states travelling to a state with more lenient rules? I remember a doctor once telling me if you want to make a load of money open an abortion clinic next to Holyhead ferry port.... ;)

Pet Northerner
Don
Ah, that's a separate issue though, the poll is supposed to be about elective abortions. You could be for or against a medical exemption for any of the 4 options with limits to them including the 6-week limit, the 15-week/pre-viability limit etc..

No bother, I can roll that off without effecting the list.

Soldato
Is there anything stopping women in stringent anti abortion states travelling to a state with more lenient rules? I remember a doctor telling me if you want to make a load of money open an abortion clinic next to Holyhead ferry port.... ;)
I believe some of the states are legislating that travelling for abortion access is also a crime.

But it also means poor or vulnerable women would have no access still.

Soldato
Which is ironic because they really DGAF once the baby is born. No healthcare for instance.

Yup, and pro-life as long as they don't have to take the vaccination.

I'm for abortions pre-viability as well. I would never "have one" myself, but I firmly believe that the parents have a right to choose. And in the case of rape, the mother has the right to choose.

Soldato
Quite. The UK has a time limit and also seperately a medical reasoning to end a pregnancy.

I found the original @dowie list was reasonable inclusive of a time limit which any prospective mother could use.

Soldato
Its a difficult one and not something I've given a huge amount of thought to being a bit of a non issue in the UK. I'd say pro-choice somewhere between conception and perhaps up to 10 weeks. I'm sure there would be some who wouldn't find out until 11 weeks in though.

Under 6 weeks seems kind of crazy and over 20 even more so. 24 in the UK (I think?) seems kind of high. That's 6 months in!

Soldato
Pre-viability here.

I was someone very ignorant to how traumatic an abortion can be for a woman. The fact a woman would be willing to go through this means there must be a very good reason to do so and they should have that option in those circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom