Poll: Abortion, Roe v. Wade

What is you're opinion on abortion ?

• Fully pro-life, including Embryo

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Pro-life but exceptions for morning after pill and IUDs

Votes: 25 3.7%
  • Pro-choice but up until heartbeat limit of 6-weeks

Votes: 64 9.6%
  • Pro-choice up to pre-viability limit (based on local legislation)

Votes: 451 67.6%
  • Fully pro-choice until birth

Votes: 110 16.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
I don't recall seeing anything in our constitution giving the federal government the power to make laws about contraception.

Of course, political activists have been so keen on ignoring the 10th amendment when it got in the way of expanding government power for their goals, no one in power wants to envoke it lest they lose other government powers they fancy.

Associate
So when is the ban on masturbation, surely that's next right? If you're going to go the "all life is sacred" route then one could argue all of those millions of sperms are technically alive.

I really do hate religion and have very little respect for anyone indoctrinated into it. Its used as a means of control and people are stupid enough to tow the line with some empty promise of paradise when they die.

Yeah, keep on believing in some fictitious lunatic who is happy for children to suffer/wars to happen sitting on his cloud above the earth, ill sit in the corner and continue to spank the monkey, guilt free.

Soldato
So when is the ban on masturbation, surely that's next right? If you're going to go the "all life is sacred" route then one could argue all of those millions of sperms are technically alive.

I really do hate religion and have very little respect for anyone indoctrinated into it. Its used as a means of control and people are stupid enough to tow the line with some empty promise of paradise when they die.

Yeah, keep on believing in some fictitious lunatic who is happy for children to suffer/wars to happen sitting on his cloud above the earth, ill sit in the corner and continue to spank the monkey, guilt free.
I've always felt that being hunkered down and living life under the veil of a religion is like a fog of the mind, incredibly dull.

Man of Honour

Given how widespread religion has been throughout recorded history* everywhere and how many different religions there have been, I think it must be a bit more complicated than simply a means of control. That's obviously what religion is for, but I think mere empty promises of paradise after death wouldn't account for it being so ubiquitous. Besides, some religions don't promise that. I think religion also provides some people with a sense of being special, righteous and feeling that they belong to some sort of club. I don't know why, but I get that impression from my discussions with theists. They're not all mindless. Nor obsessed. Nor evangelical. I've known a couple of devout theists who I didn't even know were theists for more than a year. One of them was a wiccan and they tend not to be preachy anyway IME, but the other was a christian. Full on completely devout christian, formal old school style. Attended rituals at least a couple of times a week, routinely did charity work specifically because they thought it pleased their god, the whole nine yards. And said nothing about it. I only found out because they'd accidentally left a trace of part of a mark on their forehead from one of their rituals.

* Probably before then, but it's harder to tell from archaeological evidence. A lot of things are categorised as "religious", "ceremonial", etc, but that also includes pretty much everything that isn't proven to be something else. It's the catch-all basket to use to avoid having to say "I don't know what that is or what it was used for".

G J

G J

Associate
Religious indoctrination is no real different to being indoctrinated into political ideologes as it clouds peoples judgement and bahaviour just as much as any religion.

Soldato
This is why the state must be separate from religious dogma. One thing the french did right (all weddings are in the state registry office as the state does not recognise religious weddings - you have the religious wedding after).
The same should be true for abortions - science should determine the risk to the mother and viable offspring in guiding a decision.

Aborting abortions simply is religions way of increasing the body count of members by force.

Associate
Given how widespread religion has been throughout recorded history* everywhere and how many different religions there have been, I think it must be a bit more complicated than simply a means of control. That's obviously what religion is for, but I think mere empty promises of paradise after death wouldn't account for it being so ubiquitous. Besides, some religions don't promise that. I think religion also provides some people with a sense of being special, righteous and feeling that they belong to some sort of club. I don't know why, but I get that impression from my discussions with theists. They're not all mindless. Nor obsessed. Nor evangelical. I've known a couple of devout theists who I didn't even know were theists for more than a year. One of them was a wiccan and they tend not to be preachy anyway IME, but the other was a christian. Full on completely devout christian, formal old school style. Attended rituals at least a couple of times a week, routinely did charity work specifically because they thought it pleased their god, the whole nine yards. And said nothing about it. I only found out because they'd accidentally left a trace of part of a mark on their forehead from one of their rituals.

* Probably before then, but it's harder to tell from archaeological evidence. A lot of things are categorised as "religious", "ceremonial", etc, but that also includes pretty much everything that isn't proven to be something else. It's the catch-all basket to use to avoid having to say "I don't know what that is or what it was used for".
Most people need something to believe in, which is the reason for religion existing and also why it's such a powerful method of control. As society becomes less and less religious, we see people becoming more dogmatic towards things like their preferred political party.

Man of Honour
Well Arizona has now adopted a near total ban from a law from over 150 years ago. This is election gold to Democrats.

The current law in Arizona places a 15 week limit on abortions. The 1864 law was upheld by a county judge. The 15 week limit current law has been upheld by the governor of the state. The county judge's ruling creates confusion because it's a ruling that two very different and mutually exclusive laws apply at the same time. Which can't happen, obviously.

Back
Top Bottom