Poll: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2021, Yas Island - Race 22

Rate the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten. If you want. I can’t be arsed.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

There will have to be precedent that allowing only certain cars to overtake is legit? I’m not talking the guy in 20th…. But something that basically ships all the cars out of the way of the guy in P2.

Soldato
Not really, it didn't say "LAPPED CARS MAY NOW OVERTAKE" only that specific lapped cars could overtake.

If we're being technical about it ;)

Which we are :p

That's not in the rules. The rules say either no one unlaps, or everyone does, and the Safety Car comes in one lap later. Neither of those things happened.

Man of Honour
It doesn’t look good when they decided back markers wouldn’t overtake. Then Horner comes on the radio and they do, but only those between max and Lewis. It’s messy, that’s for sure. Masi needs to go.

Soldato
For me, Max, Red Bull, Lewis, and Mercedes all behaved entirely fairly and reasonably. Really unhappy that Masi's bungling has turned it into a controversy.
That's the worst bit almost isn't it? We were all talking about a crashing into one another and all sorts of controversy beforehand and in the end none of the participants did anything wrong and we've still ended up in a total **** show!

Soldato
but the rule Merc are appealing doesn’t apply as that message didn’t go out. So nobody can say that rule wasn’t followed.
Is there a rule forbidding an amount of lapped cars unlapping themselves?
As far as I know it's up to the drivers themselves to make their way safely through the field. If they're unable to do so before they start backing up after the safety car is heading to the pitlane that's just tough.

I can understand why they tried to rush the field to have one lap of green racing - any racing series would do the same (it's even a hard and fast rule in other series) - it's just the terrible luck for Mercedes that it happened that way after they chose not to pit. They deserved that race, but once again they were caught with their pants down.

Caporegime
as a neutral what a race.
i absolutely do not mind max being WDC, in fact its quite nice to see something new.
but obviously we have the controversy.

going to be very hard to overturn this result, but really id does seem a bit naughty to allow half the cars through.

unfortunately you know this would not have happened at any other race.
if i was a lewis fan id def feel robbed.but at same time i dont want the result overturned.

the stewards and masi have been far too involved this year. and it needs sorting.

10/10 as it was so dramtic. loved this season not being invested in either driver.

Soldato
the unlapping of the cars rules should change, they should just slow down and fall back to their position and be classed as being on the same lap as the leader. Guess that might make it a bit tricky as they would have used less fuel but then everyone uses less fuel under SC anyway.

Caporegime
There will have to be precedent that allowing only certain cars to overtake is legit? I’m not talking the guy in 20th…. But something that basically ships all the cars out of the way of the guy in P2.

Isnt that also incredibly unfair on the person who is behind the group (ie behind P2) that gets let past :confused:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Isnt that also incredibly unfair on the person who is behind the group (ie behind P2) that gets let past :confused:
Yes, which is why I’m surprised Sainz hasn’t kicked up a stink. He should have been challenging for 3rd and having Max in the mix would have helped.

Man of Honour

It just screams of bias more than anything. Masi can’t handle the pressure as ever. Potentially just bias toward a final lap showdown for the media. I always saw the race director as a safety director, but clearly he’s now a script writer too.

Caporegime
my brain is not stuck, and for the record I think Masi is a terrible race director, but the rule everyone is banging on about isn’t applicable.

Its the same argument. Those are the rules for safety cars.

He either contravened them (you say he didn't), OR he just made up his own rules (which is absurd, and obviously would not be allowed as well).

Soldato
So he did not implement that rule as per his discretion. So now we have established that, what rule did he break?
Arguably 48.10

48.10 Except under Article 48.12 below, the safety car shall be used at least until the leader is behind
it and all remaining cars are lined up behind him.
Once behind the safety car, the leader must keep within ten car lengths of it (except under
Article 48.13 below)

If he's not going to implement 48.12, then everyone lines up behind.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

At the point lapped cars are released the race is over because the SC should stay out to the end of the following lap. Results should be taken from the end of the penultimate lap

https://twitter.com/f1tricky/status/1470064535772053507?s=21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom