Poll: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2021, Yas Island - Race 22

Rate the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten. If you want. I can’t be arsed.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Lost it at the start, pushed Lewis wide, dropped back, only managed to catch up when Lewis was held up by Checo and then when Checo was out of the way, couldn't keep within ten seconds of Lewis.

Only managed to get past when given a brand new set of soft tyres, against a very old set of hard tyres.

Yeah, clearly a 'well deserved winner'.
And even with old 46 lap tyres, Hamilton almost overtook Max with his fres soft tyres in the last couple of corners...

Soldato
We know what the decision document published, which is who attended, which sessions they attended and what arguments each respective party put forth. Which bit of what I said would you consider to be 'pure speculation'?
The idea that you think RB were defending Masi is a hard stretch and pure speculation.

Soldato
Those are paraphrased somewhat incorrectly but taking the point anyway, the Mercedes protest didn't accuse Red Bull of anything and this wasn't an on track incident between the two teams, so it feels very odd they should be involved at all, let alone more involved than the race director himself when it's his actions under question.

They protested Max overtook under SC conditions, so yes they did accuse Red Bull.

Caporegime
Ironically we shoud really have a procedure for a safety car that is called within the last 5 laps of a race.

We do. The regulations on how safety cars work is quite clear and has been followed every race until now.

Why do we artificially need something different for safety cars at the end of the race?

I really don't understand this need for there to be one more lap of racing/ending on a green flag if it is not safe or sporting to do so under the current regulations. Why does only the very end of the race count?

Soldato
We do. The regulations on how safety cars work is quite clear and has been followed every race until now.

Why do we artificially need something different for safety cars at the end of the race?

I really don't understand this need for there to be one more lap of racing/ending on a green flag if it is not safe or sporting to do so under the current regulations. Why does only the very end of the race count?
Well all I know is that all the teams agreed in the past to, where ever possible, to finish a race under green flag conditions because in the past drivers have been robbed of a possible victory when races ended under a safety car..

Soldato
Well all I know is that all the teams agreed in the past to, where ever possible, to finish a race under green flag conditions because in the past drivers have been robbed of a possible victory when races ended under a safety car..
THen red flag it as soon as the incident happened? ALl drivers would have got in and put some fres tyres and there would be some serious "fair" battles across the field for 5-6 laps...

Soldato

Lets be honest. Ignoring what happened on Sunday. I think most people would rather not see a race end on a parade lap with SC bringing them all in, doubly so for a close race.

We also don't want the RD essentially deciding how a race ends while under pressure of cleaning up a track safely and stakeholders all trying to make their case for how the rules are to be applied.

The rules don't have to be different it could literally say that "Article 48.12 is to be followed to the letter even if it results in the race ending under a safety car". But we need something that is consistent and is applied everytime, from the first race of the season to the championship deciding race of the season

Caporegime
Lets be honest. Ignoring what happened on Sunday. I think most people would rather not see a race end on a parade lap with SC bringing them all in, doubly so for a close race.

We also don't want the RD essentially deciding how a race ends while under pressure of cleaning up a track safely and stakeholders all trying to make their case for how the rules are to be applied.

The rules don't have to be different it could literally say that "Article 48.12 is to be followed to the letter even if it results in the race ending under a safety car". But we need something that is consistent and is applied everytime, from the first race of the season to the championship deciding race of the season

A. It wasn't a close race. Lewis was clearly loads faster than Max .
B. The safety car in this instance would not have decided it. Lewis was in the lead by a long way and was clearly the deserved winner of the race. Without the safety car/Masi's interference Lewis would have most assuredly won the race by that point. It took Masi's imaginary rules to decide the race.

Soldato
I don't want max to lose his championship. I want Masi to lose his job and the FIA to admit they was wrong and make changes..
THen red flag it as soon as the incident happened? ALl drivers would have got in and put some fres tyres and there would be some serious "fair" battles across the field for 5-6 laps...
A very difficult call to make, there wasn't the conditions that required a red flag.
I feel the FIA have given Masi a much more difficult role that Charlie ever had, Charlie had support but Masi is only there to fulfil one part of the role Charlie had, but he's having to do much more and has been told to make more racing happen on the track. Sacking him would be wrong but perhaps putting him out to pasture for a year maybe as I have no doubt that the vitriol displayed by many would get to anyone. Trouble is who would replace him and who would want that job in it's current form...

Soldato
"You only need one more racing lap" is the exact quote.

And then a few seconds later, he got one more racing lap.
But thats still not the exact quote and is devoid of all context.. thats the point.
Here is what was said for 100% clarity on this.

Horner: "Why aren't we getting these lapped cars out of the way?
Masi: "My main thing is to get this incident clear."
Horner: "You only need one racing lap"

Don
"You only need one more racing lap" is the exact quote.

And then a few seconds later, he got one more racing lap.

But there is a clear difference between "we" and "you" :)

We don't know exactly how delayed these messages are, and that it was in direct reply to "Michael Masi: “Because Christian, just give me a second… My main big one is to get this incident clear.” ", then it could be interpreted that only 1 racing lap was needed to clear the incident, which depending on time that it was actually sent may have left 2 laps (1 to clear backmarkers, and 1 genuine racing lap)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom